PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

macca
27-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Just need some opinions

I have recently purchased a 60hp 4 str Yami with a Quintrex boat that has a 40 l underfloor tank, fitted with the Yamaha digital fuel gauge.

I have done over 100 km on the water and just clicked over 4 hrs.

The gauge has not moved off full.

Is this normal?

Does it take a long time for the gauge to react or is there a fault?

Any thoughts appreciated

Thank you

Macca

mackmauler
27-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Youll be out of fuel in the next 50ks I reckon, I think its faulty ;)

deb
27-07-2003, 01:09 PM
2 nautical miles per litre, yep run out soon 8)

Big_Kev
27-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Yeah mate I run a 60 4st yammie and I would chew 30 to 35 ltr in a 100km run depending on how much I push it. With a 40ltr tank I would say that you have a malfunction. Sounds like a short straight to ground or disconnection in the harness.
Not likely but could be a missmatch between sender and gauge. But most likely it has just been a simple mistake of not connecting the wiring plug to the gauge from the sender.
If it was bought as a package take it back and get it fixed.
Cheers Kev

tonyp
27-07-2003, 04:33 PM
I had a fault on my fuel gauge and the shop just charge quintrex for the labour on warranty, will not cost you a thing. ;D

Lucky_Phill
28-07-2003, 02:49 PM
You're running on fumes ;) ;D ;)

Kerry
30-07-2003, 05:13 AM
One thing with using a stick! never seen a faulty stick ;D

And really can't see the point in having a fuel guage in a 40 litre tank, bit of an overkill.

Cheers, Kerry.

whiteman
30-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Take the boat to the garage and fill it up. You'll know exectly how much fuel you've used! Great for future reference.

Jack_Lives_Here
30-07-2003, 06:48 AM
The tanks on the quinnies have the filler in the gunnel and tanks under the floor, which is screwed down - not easy to put a stick in them ???????
I had a dodgy unit - took it back and fixed free - no probs since. As others suggested - note the k's you are doing and refill, becuase if it goes bunk in the boonies you'll know how far you can travel.

aido
30-07-2003, 07:32 AM
hey macca, whats with the yamaha digital fuel gauge?
is that a tank qty indicator or a multifunction thing like
fuel used, ltrs/hr etc?
maybe this one,

http://www.boatsunlimitedny.com/_borders/6Y5-W0088-53-00-250.jpg

and a link that probably won't help you.

http://pub186.ezboard.com/fbbcboardfrm11.showMessage?topicID=154.topic

littlejim
30-07-2003, 08:05 AM
geez Kerry,

I'm starting to think that you are the Australian agent for those sticks!

Kerry
30-07-2003, 08:50 AM
geez Kerry,

I'm starting to think that you are the Australian agent for those sticks!

;D actually thinking about a patent on the double ended model, saves carrying 2 sticks as trying to dip 2 tanks with one stick only works well for the first ;)

By design I've got gunnel mounted fillers, sealed underfloor tanks .... and a double ended stick, 5 foot long :o.

But these days if setting things up from scratch, fuel flow makes much more sense than fuel guages.

Cheers, Kerry.
#

macca
30-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi

Motoring out on the broadwater yesterday and yes I ran out of fuel, I had an extra 10l on board so had to fill up out there.

Have booked the boat in at the dealer.

So will be fixed soonhopefully.

Also the speedo works intermittently, so it could be just the case of loose wiring.

When I got back yesterday I put in another 20 Litres, the gauge is now showing 3/4 full. However the in is now creeping up towards full.

I am now thinking getting an anaogue gauge as they should be more reliable.

I don't won't to be always carrying extra fuel if the digital gauges are unreliable.

Regards

Macca

littlejim
31-07-2003, 05:25 AM
macca,

I don't have a digital gauge, I've got an analogue one out of the whitworths catalogue. It's quite touchy, found it doesn't just read electrical resistance as the float goes up and down, it seems to measure 'balance'.

If the leads from the sender got just a bit corroded it would go crazy, reading full and empty in erratic bursts, usually settling on empty despite a full tank.

When I soldered the leads on to the sender unit it behaved itself and has ever since. Don't know whether you want to give that a try.

mudfisherman69
31-07-2003, 05:27 AM
overkill. i have a 400L underfloor tank which was in the boat when i bought it....but no fuel guage!!! i just rely on the old fill it up to the brim and head out..

aido
31-07-2003, 05:58 AM
i reacon anyone who leaves without topping up the tanks is crazy.
just cause the gauge says it's xxxx means $hit.
a bit extreme maybe, but definately true for boats with underfloor
tanks. boats with portable tanks might be more confident that they
can eyeball whats there.
i like to fill up on the way home actually, = less airspace in the tanks
for vapour loss and condensation. guessing someone might consider this
bad practice then another handy thing is you don't have to find a servo open
at 4 am ;) .