PDA

View Full Version : Car Topper - Input Required

peterbo3
01-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Evening all,
Just back from Bourke visiting the daughter & her husband. REALLY COLD! They are planning the big trip around OZ starting Dec & want to take a boat. Will be carried on current Patrol ute with racks & rollers. Around 12-13 ft. I feel that flat bottom hulls offer too little flexibility as far as estuary work goes. I have suggested a V bottom with a 9 hp minimum. What do you think? They are looking at used up to $4000. They don't need a trailer for the trip but they need a trailer as part of the initial purchase because I am not strong enough to carry a little tinny on my back. All comments re style, brand & anything else are welcome.

aido
01-08-2003, 04:16 PM
i saw an ad for some wheels that mount on the transom and swing
down for wheeling her around. swing up for use on the water.
what a brilliant idea.

peterbo3
04-08-2003, 03:16 PM
^

landy1
04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
G'day Peter
I would have said the opposite. V hulls in that small a size are very unstable. Ive got a 12 foot edgetracker v-nose punt and it goes well. less horsies to get up on the plane too. Only downside is you tend to cop a bit of spray when motoring into wind. V punt would suit better as a car topper aswell.
cheers
Michael

mackmauler
04-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Peter, one of my earlier boats was the mighty 3.3m horizon v dinghy, it had a 15hp merc on the back and went well, I was so impressed with the rig I trolled the 24s off southport from it on occasion, the 3m allycraft is another v bottom ive had a positive experience from offshore, good in the estuaries as well :-X

FLATHEAD1
04-08-2003, 10:43 PM
I used to have a 11ft savage gull and a 9.9 mariner. Mounted it upside down on rack on a 4x4 camping trailer. The gull was a good little boat. deep v and very strongly built. Could carry it upside down on my shoulders. I bought it 2nd hand and it was used as a car topper. The previous owner had lugs welded to it. I welded corressponding lugs to the trailer rack and bolted it on.

Flathead1

davo
07-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Check out the Porta Bote. My father has one and they really supprise you how seaworthy they. He started witha 8HP Yammy and has since gone to a 6HP 4stroke.

His is a serious fishing boat with depth sounder, swivel rod holders, swivel seats and home grown fold up trailer.

They row better than any tinnie, are quite , aren't hot or cold and are full size at 12ft x 5ft. My dad is 71 yrs old and loads it on his landcruiser without and special rack and has landed fish up to 20lb barra in it. We've even towed other dinghies up on the plane with it.

Since his three other guys we know have got them.

tonyp
07-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Have a look at the 3.7m Stacer Proline this is a v/nose punt rated to about a 15~20 I think,and for there size are a very beamy and stable unit. I have just bought one for an electric only boat for my son and I.
The boats are about $1200~$1300
Trailer to suit roughly $900 registered (Dumbier price)
Then what ever motor and else you required.!!

Have fun.

Jonli
09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
;)

I recommend RIB Inflatable , they are light and very stable , price wise is within the budget too for 10' or so for the aluminium hulled type ::)