PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Lines

jaybee
16-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Just finished servicing my motor, With all the boats (motors) i have owned, i have never come across fuel lines tied with electrical ties. What happened to stainless clamps. my motor was recently rebuilt, wont mention who until i receive some replies.
cheers
joe.

Kerry
16-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Leckie ties have it over hose clamps (by far) for most things on outboards, fuel lines, oil lines.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
16-08-2003, 02:12 PM
sorry have to disagree kerry specially when you are looking for that extra tight fitting,

aido
16-08-2003, 02:43 PM
trouble with using cable ties is the tension cannot be adjusted once the
cable tie tail is cut off (as it should be).
i guess it's a cheap alternative to stainless gear clamps though, but i'm less
than impressed with the way these can cut into the fuel line if overtightened.
there are spring steel clamps designed for the job, ala car fuel filter kits and
a type of ratcheting plastic clamp that is reuseable and able to be tightened
periodically.
all said and done, i like the gear clamps, but not if a gorilla is installing them.

Lucky_Phill
16-08-2003, 02:51 PM
I think, once you've zippied the fuel lines, the tie shouldn't work loose, but if it ' becomes' loose, then I would say the fuel line has hardened and is in need of replacing ?

But, what would I know............come to think of it. a bit..................... ;D ;D ;D

Phill

littlejim
16-08-2003, 03:52 PM
a few years ago now when Iwas trying to buy an old style hose clamp, the boating man I was dealing with, who helped me solve several difficult problems at no cost, (I trusted him on every subject) said all the fixer-uppers had swapped to the cable ties for fuel lines.
You can pull them tight with pliers, (really it's there to stop the hose coming off, not to seal it) and less of a pain in some situations than trying to get a screwdriver on to the old style clip. I use them on the fuel lines now, no problemo so far.