PDA

View Full Version : Drop the Leg

jaybee
13-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Well its that time again where i drop the leg grease the shaft and change the oil in the gearbox and check the seals. I check the gearbox every 3 trips, after a bad experience where once i picked some fishing line up coming in from the 9 mile, as i was crossing the tweed bar i heard a strange noise coming from the motor, by the time i got back to the boat ramp it was too late, damage done :( but then you can pick line up that wont do as much damage in short trip. being a public holiday 13/08 and one i am not working I will do the right thing by the old girl. Just curious as to how often others pay attention to their shaft and gearbox oil and seals. Oh by the way guys, don't know how many of you know this, but why pay $17 a litre for gear oil when you can get 5 litres of car gearbox oil for the same price and its the same oil.
cheers
joe.

aido
13-08-2003, 09:52 PM
i'd do that every 100hrs or 12months.
and as i have always had used boats, i'd also check
it soon after purchase. checking the level is a different
matter and i like your every 3 trips intervals. i'd maybe
grease the leg that often too. can't hurt. i hate greasing
the leg and getting dirty water out of the pivot joints.

blaze
14-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Hi Joe
I am a mechanic by trade but I still tow my boat 100k to have it checked and serviced every year. During the year I grease the pivots and steering shaft every couple of trips, flush out and wash and wipe down after every trip as soon as I get home. I believe even though the gear oil is the same vecosity, the addatives are different. Marine grade has a additive so if you get water in the gearbox its lubrication properties don't deminish as quickly as other oil types.
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
14-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Joe car gearbox oil is very similar but not the same.
The boat oil is manufactured by the oil company for the intended purpose of a submerged gearbox.
It also has the capacity to emulsify a greater percentage of water, and still be capable of doing the job.
I pay the dealer to fully service my motor once a year even though I am perfectly capable. (call me slack).
Checking the gearbox when I think of it.
Cheers Kev.

jaybee
14-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Well i know of least one merc dealer who uses only car gearbox oil in all the motors, new and 2nd hand :o mmmm methinks i may stick to marine. thanks guys
cheers.
joe.

Kerry
14-08-2003, 05:06 AM
NO I certainly wouldn't be putting car gearbox oil anywhere near an outboard :-X That's one merc dealer to steer clear of.

Really the only reason to drop the gearcase is to service the pump and that by rights should be inspected every 12 months and replaced as a complete kit when required. Also removing and greasing bolts on a regular basis stops things from being stubborn when one doesn't want things to be stubborn.

Changing gear oil can be done anytime but 6 months isn't a bad time frame depending on useage.

Greasing points I do every trip.

Jaybee, outboard gear oil doesn't go off and buying in bulk certainly won't cost $17 a litre, just lasts a long time.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
14-08-2003, 04:48 PM
and just to be picky, today wasn't a " Public " holiday, it was show day. No where on any Calendar does it show a public holiday :P ;) ;D ;D ;D

Phill ( I had to work, self employed folk don't get paid hols ) :'( :'( :'(

jaybee
14-08-2003, 06:13 PM
awwwwwwwww poor phil ;D

bugman
15-08-2003, 03:51 AM
I, also, was manning the desk >:( >:( >:(

peterbo3
15-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Brett,
Aren't you supposed to "person" the desk at the ABC? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

PinHead
15-08-2003, 08:57 AM
and just to be picky, today wasn't a " Public " holiday, it was show day. #No where on any Calendar does it show a public holiday # :P # ;) # ;D # ;D # ;D

Phill ( I had to work, self employed folk don't get paid hols ) # :'( # #:'( # #:'(

I hate to tell ya but Wednesday was a Public Holiday...refer to the calendar that matters..the Qld Govt. list of gazetted holidays. http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/publicholidays/list_pubhols.html

I too am self employed but I had it off and I take my own public holidays when I want them..I became self employed so I could have some more time to myself.

As for servicing the leg etc..I never bother..I just tell the mechanic to service the motor..hopefully he does it..I drop it off and pick it up and go boating..so far no problems after about 15 years of that with various boats.

Kerry
15-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Been the odd court case over just what is a "service" and one incident in particular, which apparently caused a fatality.

"Service my motor", apparently doesn't imply that the steering should be serviced (case in point regarding this particular case), even where connected to the motor let along in the boat or the battery or the boat in general or the trailer or anything else.

One probably assumes that a motor service includes the things that one thinks should be included but better to actually make sure EXACTLY what a "service" entails.

Cheers, Kerry.

bungie
15-08-2003, 03:51 PM
I too am self employed but I had it off and I take my own public holidays when I want them..I became self employed so I could have some more time to myself.

I'm self employed too. Spend more time working now than I did when employed by somebody else :o

blaze
15-08-2003, 04:48 PM
hi all
never a peaceful day when selfemployed, exept when ya turn the phone off and go fishin. would like the ratio to be about 50/50
cheers
blaze

Lucky_Phill
15-08-2003, 04:54 PM
OK, I'll have meet you around half way Pinhead.

Public Holidays as listed in the Gazette do list The Royal National Show Day and in Brackets.......Brisbane Area Only.

So is it a real pub hol ? And why the hell do Logan get a day off, Pine rivers, Ipswich ( on different days than the wednesday )and for that matter ...... Kingaroy.

It just erks me that people look at me strange, when they say, " you're working, but it's a Public Holiday " !

Personally, If you get the show day off, you should turn up at work the next day with a reciept to show you actually went to the show, if not, you loose that days pay. end of story.

Same for Anzac day and the others. Prove that you attended the event / partook in the event for which the Holiday was declared. :P

;) is that too much to ask ?

Phill

webby
15-08-2003, 05:25 PM
This post seems to be a bit off track here folks ;D
Though we were discussing throwing the leg and doing something with the shaft,
Personnelly i never tinker with the motor.
Check the levels regularly, pump the odd squirt of grease in and take the prop off regularly to check for line, other then that she serviced by someone who no's more then me.
Cars yes i'll play around with, as you can always walk home.
The waters a different kettle of fish, and not being the church going type, my permission to walk on water will be a long time coming.
Anyway phill you always seem to be on self employed Public holidays.
Geezs if i left my crew in charge of my shed for more then 1 day, i wouldnt have a business to come back to ;D
regards

Lucky_Phill
15-08-2003, 05:49 PM
I have to agree Brian,

Time to throw a leg, grease the shaft and service the unit.......................... :o :o

Phill

spool
16-08-2003, 02:48 AM
me uncle reckons to add a touch of moreys to the gearbox just to coat the internals should you develop a leak

spool

adrian
17-08-2003, 04:02 AM
oh i thought you ment drop your leg over the missus ;D ;D ;D :-X