PDA

View Full Version : Mercurys and corrosion

Sniper
20-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi all. Just wondering if anyones had any problems with corrosion on new Mercs. Mines nearly 2 yrs old and there's been 2 slight problems. Just wondering if anyone else had had problems. Merc's used to be bad years and uears ago but the supposedly got there act together. Well, so I thought. Is mine an isolated incident?
Snipper [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

bazz
20-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh no just sorted out one problem don't tell me that I've got to worry about the motor as well.I thought boating was supposed to be fun.

Sniper
20-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Otherwise I cant really fault the motor. Wish it was fuel injected though. Maybe if I win Powerball this week I will by a new one plus a new 475 Hornet Thophy with a 75 2 stoke. God they fly. [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

peterbo3
20-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi Sniper,
Got some details re model & year & location of corrosion? If you are worried about defamation laws send me a PM.

Muzza
21-08-2003, 04:32 PM
G'day mate,
I've got a small 15 merc, 3 years old and had no probs, probably helped by the fact the guys that do the yearly service include a coating of lanolin(?) in the service. Still looks and runs like new.
cheers
Muzza

Sniper
25-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi all.
well, the problem turned out not to be corrosion but erosion. A metal gasket had broken off in the exhaust port and was flapping inside causing it to slowly wear the metal away. Luckily, still under warranty. Had it out at Boondoomba Dam this weekend and ran like a dream. Thanks to the boys at Caloundra City Powerboats. Well, touch wood thats the last of the problems. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a Mercury. Cheers
Bill [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]