PDA

View Full Version : fuel

opimax
23-08-2003, 01:08 PM
giday all been talking to a few fishing mates of mine about underfloor tanks. i don`t know the best way to go fil up on way home from trip & have boat sitting with tank full, i want to fish at least once a week (dam weather won`t let me ). or fil up on way to ramp. full tank or empty tank ??? ??? ???. i have 160 lts underfloor. lee

peterbo3
23-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Evening Lee,
The accepted theory seems to be that a full tank equals less condensation equals less water in the bottom of the tank. However, I would consider that an inline fuel filter with a water trap & drain would be a good investment.
I have one & drain it once a month. A fair amount of crud & water (couple of tablespoons) always comes out.
I change the spin-off filter every six months.
Hope this helps.

jaybee
23-08-2003, 06:03 PM
i got rid of my cruise tank, still have the inline fuel filter with water trap, wouldnt be without it as peter says, drain it at least once a month unless you mount it where you can see it.
cheers

Kerry
23-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Gave away keeping fuel tanks full many (many) years ago due to more important issues with fuel life, which is the bigger of the 2 evils.

Good filter & water separator system and the best habit is drain and check after every trip as water not only comes from condensation (which isn't the major cause of water anyway) but also comes from the bowser and breather under some circumstances.

Cheers, Kerry.

opimax
29-08-2003, 04:27 PM
thanks for the feedback. will go with your advice & fit drain filter. kerry i have concerns about fuel as well & will be filling on way to ramp. thanks again lee

caveman
29-08-2003, 04:46 PM
was in the chainsaw shop last week and was talking to the bloke about an additive you can put in your mix that gives the fuel a shelf life of 12mths does this stuff work

cheers gary