PDA

View Full Version : reinforcing a transom

michael_Brewer
30-08-2003, 07:12 PM
hey there,
I have a 3.7 Edgetracker vagabond and I am constantly doing upgrades on it. It currently has 9.9 HP on the back but I would like to upgrade it to approximately 25 HP. The Maximum HP on the Specs plate inside the boat says 20 HP. I was wondering if I am able to get the transom reinforced somehow to hold a bigger engine. I was wondering if there are any rules about doing this and/or how would I go about doing so?
would appreciate any help.
cheers
Michael Brewer

Dr_Dan
31-08-2003, 05:50 AM
As far as i know mate, the 20 and 25 are the same enginge. Just in the 20, there is a restrictor "O" ring in the fuel line somewhere, that the 25 doesn't have. Not certain tho.

Big_Kev
31-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Michael, it dosen't sound that much of a task to beef up the transome, people do that sort of thing all the time.
You can talk to any alloy boat builder to do the job, or Brumbs who is a members here who specializes in this field and use to work for Stessel.
But to maintain compliance you will have to have the mod approved by the manufacturer.
Otherwise your insureance company might not like you if you make a claim.
Cheers Kev

landy1
01-09-2003, 09:59 PM
G'day Michael
wierd that your hull is only rated to 20hp, mines the same length and a couple of years older and rated to 25hp. BTW next service the restrictor on the 25hp is coming of to bring it up to 30hp.
cheers
Michael

michael_Brewer
02-09-2003, 06:49 PM
awww Michael Michael Michael,
How am I ever suppose to keep up with you. Actually, I wanted to ask you about that. Is your hull a Heavy Duty edgie cause mine is just standard, maybe that's why. And what is the Maximum H.Power on yours?
Yes Yes Yes. I finally tried the trailer out today. awww, what a relief. I couldn't stand pullin it up that street again. the trailers pretty square I think. didn't have any dramas, but then again, it wasn't windy where I put in. I am so stoked now. give us a yell please if ya get a weekend off sometime cause Im keen as to go for a fish with ya. I might even have a talk to my ma about goin to the next meet and greet wherever it is.

kev, I think I will try and get in touch with a boat builder and see whats involved in getting it strenthened. thanks.
cheers Michael Brewer

p.s I got a nice flatty this mornin too.