PDA

View Full Version : my new boat

spike2
01-09-2003, 03:50 PM
;D ;D ;D yes l have done it for those of you who know l have been looking for a boat forever , well l finally bought one l went to the boat show and purchased a fibre glass cyclone boat . its basically a 5.4 open boat with a big v nose , and a fairly wide stern it has a side consol and front casting platform lm putting a 115 mercury four stroke on the back , As with all boats there is some level a compromise it wont go in the shallows like my old tinnie but it will do morton bay on all but the worst days , it uses more fuel but its a lot quicker and drier
any way l love it and cant wait to get it on the water , l should take delivery next week l wiil post pics when l get the boat

ps lucky phil and webby would love to do a tag along to those x spot bream now that boat up to it ;D

cheers from happy and broke spike

webby
01-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Now you'll have to do some hard trimming for those shallows mate.
Been llooking myself to upgrade end of this year, tossing up whether to stay with glass or go plate.
Going for a test run in the new w.a. trailcraft, 6.4 malcom douglas half cab, off redcliffe in a weeks time.
See how these plates handle good seas.
Have to take you for a run in the bay when you get it sorted out.
regards

bugman
02-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Spike,

Paid close attention to the cyclone after chatting with Craigie about the boat. Doesn't look to bad but I just wonder how dry it really would be with a metre of chop on the bay.

Webby

The Malcom Douglas Trailcraft was the standout boat for me at the show. I couldn't get over how wide it was - you could have a football game in the back. The one next to it was the same boat with different fitout. I actually think it was slightly better and it was $3,500 cheaper. I'm not sure how that works.

My brother Nathan and I were even working out where we could build the air tank stands at the back of the transom. Now all I've got to do is find a second hand one somewhere ??? ???

craigie
02-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Spike,

I too have eyes ::) for that boat. Top Choice, we may have to team up at some stage ;D

Craig.

Lucky_Phill
02-09-2003, 11:41 AM
The Trailcraft looked a good boat, until I got real close to it.

OK, it's cheaper than a Sportfish or Noble ( whatever they are called these days. )but, the finish is nowhere near as godd, in fact, I'd say.......it looks like a pro fishing boat rather than a rec boat.

But, that's only my opinion. NOW< I really think it is a good boat. Has strakes to keep her straight ( assists in making the boat ' bump' ) as opposed to non-straked boats. The helmsmans seats are too close together. Gunwhales are too narrow, ( that what makes it appear wide ),overhead console to open and small, and a few other small probs, in MY opinion only.

Having said that, the up side is the windscreen configuration, walk thru transom, fuel capacity, HP rating is fantastic for a tinnie. Also the air tight tubing for flotation is built-in.

Overall, it appears to be a " work " boat, if you call fishing Work !

Don't know if it truely is a ' plate boat' as the hull is plate, but the sides are pressed !

Cheers Phill

O-3
03-09-2003, 09:25 PM
wheres the pics??????

cmon guys.

cheers

CamH
04-09-2003, 07:20 AM
I would be interested in hearing what you think of it with 115 Merc on it. I have a 5.6m Trailcraft with a 115hp 4 stroke Mercury so it would be good to hear what you have to say about it after you get it in the water.

Keep us posted.