PDA

View Full Version : Weight on the drawbar

Dino
03-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm trying to determine if there is a formula or specific weight that one should have on the drawbar.
The total weight of my rig is approx 700kg's and currently I have about 90kgs of downward weight on the drawbar, which I think is far too much. Trouble is, I've rung around (Trailer manufacurers, marine dealers etc) and I'm getting advice ranging from "90kgs is allright" to "you should have only about 30kgs". Others have said 5%-10% of total rig weight!
My trailer is a Dunbier and is fully adjustable, so it is not a prob moving the axles, just need to know what weight I need.I realise also that if I go too light, it could make the rig "sway".
Any advice much appreciated.
Dino
:-/

Hagar
03-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Dino
In my memory it has always been "at least 50 pounds on the drawbar ". I use this as a minimum and have had more on some rigs - probably up to about 70-80 pounds so makes the 35 kgs and 5% close to the mark for you.How much above the 50 pounds really depends on the ability of your tow wagon to handle it.
Hagar

Kerry
03-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Gee trailer manufacturers and marine dealers should know this stuff and I'd be rather worried if they didn't and are the ones building and configuring/selling boats/trailers #[smiley=worried2.gif]

General rule of thumb is 10% and the general range quoted by some manufacturers of 10-15% is more appropraite than the lower (5%) of the scale, keeping in mind most standard towbars are rated to a maximum of 120kg down weight.

I also believe some states actually have minimum towbar weights, which states? don't remember.

As far as I'm concerned 5% is useless and dangerous but a little does depend on the type and capacity of the tow vehicle and the towbar. If one had to go down to 5% to meet vehicle/tow restrictions then as far as I'm concerned it's simply not a safe tow vehicle, either the boat is too big or the vehicle is to small for the job.

700kg if mine then generally 70kg and if wanting (needing?) #to shave that down a little then ~60kg minimum (not less than 8%), nothing less. A little more is always better than a little less.

Cheers, Kerry.
#

Lucky_Phill
03-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Kerry is pretty well on the money. My uncle in the ' business ' says to me that lifting the drawbar by yourself should be a good " grunt ' lift. That's the right weight.

So a dead weight lift of 60 - 90kgs is about right.

Too light and the trailer gets a sawy up, too heavy, and the thing drags on the ground.

So, if you lift the drawbar from the ground, and get it onto the ball with a little struggle, you in !

Phill

Dino
03-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, I'll guess I'll try it little by little and see how it tows.
I agree Kerry that it is a major concern that manufacturers and dealers can't supply the correct info. It's quite scary when the manufacturer is giving completely varying advice to the retailer isn't it? One of them has got to be wrong - who do you trust?

Kerry
03-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Phil, There's trailers then there's trailers and I certainly wouldn't like to be able to "grunt lift" mine of the ground as it would be about 200 (+) odd kilo's on the light side.

700kg = 70kg
2800kg = 280kg even "2 struggling grunts" might not be enough :D.

Cheers, Kerry.

Surfwx
03-09-2003, 01:49 PM
G’day Dino

I’ve always worked on the 10% to 15% as the optimum range.

But what ever you do don’t leave it to guess work, one of my mates did and got caught big time. :(

All tow hitches have a max tow weight and max ball weight if you tow outside these limits you won’t be covered by insurance.

Big_Kev
03-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Kerry at 280kgs that is just about at the pro-laps stage.LOL
Dino you haven't said anything about the tow vehicle.
The owners manual will list the maximum tow weight and the towbar will also have a rating stamped on it as well.
When I got my commodore There was 3 different towbars depending on weight towed etc.
But 10% threory works well for a 700kg boat.
I had to adjust the trailer in the half cab I had to take the weight on the bar from 20kg to 70 and the towing performance went from 80ks only, anything over became dangerous to a set up that after adjustment that would tow great at 100 comfortably.
My mate who has the same boat and set up with a falcon had to improve the springs in the back to tow it comfortably.
Cheers Kev.

Dino
04-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Kev,

The Hayman Reese hitch that I have on the '98 Commodore sedan that I tow with has a max rating of 1600kgs and a max ball weight of 160kgs, so there shouldn't be a problem there.
It would seem that 10 % might be the way to go as suggested by the 1600/160 kgs ratio above. This would mean in my case going back to about 70kgs.
Thanks everyone for the help - and I thought I was asking a relatively easy question!
Dino

Big_Kev
04-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Yabba dabba doo Dino.
Cheers Kev.

Dino
05-09-2003, 07:02 AM
That should be - Yibbida Yibbida, thats all folks!

Andyok
07-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Dino

Check out one of the towbar sites such as www.haymanreese.com.au or the like, you should find the information you are looking for there.

Regards

Andyok

Dino
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks Andyok,
I'll have a look at the Hayman Reece site and see what they recommend.
Dino