PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland ramp, what a joke....

rwells9999
05-08-2003, 04:53 AM
I went out today for a test run and decided to use the new ramp at Cleveland. I got there and with only a few trailers there launched my boat (5mtr center console). As there was NO where to pull the boat up onto whilst I parked my Ute, I had to lift the bow up unto the concrete. Went out and did my test run, came back with a howling southerly wind, got to the ramp with the same scenario, what do you do with the boat whilst you fetch your trailer. By this time the wind was strong and was at right angles to the ramp. I did my best to get it up on the concrete ramp, but as I was reversing down the ramp I saw my craft floating away. Fortunately the wind blew it back along side the ramp and I was able to retrieve it, but for the help from some kind bloke I would still be trying to get the boat back on it's trailer. I'm convinced that the authorities that design these ramps have never been boating. Why is Raby bay so popular, well it's sheltered and has a sandy area where you can park your craft whilst launching etc. I have a bill here for $90 for rego on my craft, what am I paying for????. I would truly like to get a petition going and get ramps like this one and the ramp at Wellington Point fixed.
Happy boating (ha ha)
Robin

MattyK
05-08-2003, 02:39 PM
I don't think anyone who reads you thread here could possibly disagree! I do have to say though, that the quality of boat ramps continues to decrease the further you get away from Brisbane. I live in Maryborough, and have just purchased a new boat (pick it up soon), but have been paying particulr attention to the ramps around here. I come from Redland Bay, and know the ramps around the place there - it is all too common to find ramps that are a joke - whether they be muddy, too steep, lack of places to pull up, lack of parking, in exposed areas etc etc etc.....Hmm - it would seem to me that most ramps are just not suitable for launching a boat.....is there another reason they were built that we were not informed about?

drevil
06-08-2003, 03:15 AM
The ramp at Wienam Creek (Redland Bay) is about the same - nowhere to put the boat while parking the car. It's a ramp surrounded by concrete or rock walls.

When I had my little tinnie it wasn't such a problem, but now I have a bigger glass boat, I'm a bit more particlualr about where I leave it.

Mudcrab
06-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Your prayers are answered!
Our ramp at Vikky Point has been completely rebuilt and the new floating jetty is supposed to be in by month's end! Stay warm, dry and cosy! Get with the strength, Volunteer Marine Rescue Victoria point. Yay! Way to go!

Kerry
06-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Presumeably might look something like this one ?

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/float_ramp.jpg

Fairly stable but probably not a place for toes near the pontoon modules in a bit of a swell or wave action.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
07-08-2003, 03:46 PM
OK, VMR vicky point, #if you can have your ramp rebuilt etc. #How'd ya go about it, #ie:- who pays ?

Am unsure of the numbers of boats that use your ramp compared to Raby Bay, but I believe Raby Bay is used more ! # ???

Personally, I have no probs at Raby Bay. #I pull up on the RHS looking at the ramp, and if alone, tie a rope to the fence or drag the boat up on the sand / gravel.

I rarely attend the ramp during peak periods as the " weekend Warriors " are about. #

Sure a pontoon on the LHS would do wonders, but also a little boat ramp courtesy will help.

Take a gander at the ramp at Mooloolaba )( sth ramp ). #4 lanes, taps, lights, toilets, cleaning tables, pontoon etc. #Why so good there ? #Sholud be the same all over.

OK, Vicky Point ( Ian ) find out why this is so ? #This is your mission, should you choose to accept it. #Look forward to your report ?

;D # # #;) # # #;D # # # 8)

Phill

jaybee
07-08-2003, 03:59 PM
and if alone, tie a rope to the fence or drag the boat up on the sand / gravel. you do this with the big rig ???

OK, Vicky Point ( Ian ) find out why this is so ? This is your mission, should you choose to accept it. geez phil next you will be asking this guy to self destruct, sure ya pants arent too tight ;D

I havent used vicki point or raby bay because of the hassles, but will endeavour to check out the new improvements at vicki pt.
cheers
joe.

Lachie1
07-08-2003, 04:01 PM
yeah that ramp at mooloolaba would have to be the best i have seen hey phill 8) Everything is there and it makes things so much easier.

Cheers, Lachie

aquarius
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
PEOPLE THERE'S ONLY ONE PROBLEM WITH THE VICTORIA POINT RAMP....AT LOW TIDE ITS VERY VERY SHALLOW FOR THE BIGGER BOATS...ROCKS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RAMP!!
YOU CAN KNOCK A TINNY AROUND BUT FIBREGLASS IS A DIFFERENT STORY.
CHEERS BRENT

argonautical
10-09-2003, 03:13 AM
Hey Brent

Thats exactly why I have a tinny.

phil

nhoj
10-09-2003, 03:56 AM
I find the majority of the ramps are not suitable for a one person operation. There is no where to leave your boat whilst you are attending to the car and trailer. John.

aido
10-09-2003, 06:07 PM
cleveland ramp is an ideal site for a video security camera and infared
lighting. the vmr building would be where i'd mount one cam. the other
would be on a pole at the boat club fence.
man o man, too easy.
what's it going to cost the council? maybe $5,000 tops.