PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke Trolling

AnthonyC
12-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Just wondering if any damage can be done to a two-stroke by trolling at low speeds. Whilst we are on the subject, at what speeds can hard-bodied lures be trolled at i.e manns 10+ stretch?

mackmauler
12-09-2003, 10:56 AM
The plugs will oil up a bit, a mates got a 70s model merc thats done a lot of trolling and it still runs well. What are you trolling for? anything from 1knot to 6 depending on the line and hooks, rings trace, tide.. the things that affect the balance of the lure.

Big_Kev
12-09-2003, 12:58 PM
As long as the motor is in good nick compresion wise, the plugs and ignition are up to spec and you are running the correct ratio of oil to fuel it should not cause any trouble.
It is advisable to give it a bit of a run at 3/4 to full throttle every hour or so for a few minutes, and the run home will clear any congestion.
If you are trolling for flatties with that lure run with the tide along the drop off of a bank as slow as she will go. The pink ones are my choice.
Cheers Kev.

aquarius
12-09-2003, 05:57 PM
The mate and i troll with a 30 hp 2 stroke merc nearly all day and it does'nt seem to oil up the plugs.......we troll Manns 10+ lures at 4 to 6 knots no worries.
Like the guys have said give the motor a squirt of power every hour or so and on your way home you should clear the cobwebs out.
Cheers Brent ;D