PDA

View Full Version : Service costs

lurch
19-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Could members please giv approx service costs for your outboard motors , both for the 100 hour / yearly service and major service / 500 hour service for your respective outboard motors .
I know prices will vary and some parts may have to be used on one motor and not another but i'm after some guidance in what to expect with buying an older motor and servicing it to make sure its OK

Thanks Peter

charleville
19-09-2003, 06:45 PM
100 hour service on 60HP 4stroke Merc two weeks ago at Springwood Marine...

labour $218.63
materials $154.23 includes impellor @$62.70

Probably not as cheap as could be found elsewhere but I have been pleased with the Springwood Marine helpful attitude and as I go boating at night on my own a fair bit, I am perfectly happy to have them do my service every year.

peterbo3
20-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Hi Lurch,
Your 100 hour (annual is better) is really your only major service. Things like gearbox oil change can be done yourself every 3-4 months as this is a great way to ensure you have not done a gearbox seal. Pump a bit of grease in & pull the prop at the same time. Check your plugs for signs of oiling up or worse, totally dry of oil (2 stroke).
Generally, the bigger or more complex the motor, the greater the cost. My Mariner 75 costs about $275 including impellor & plugs. Suggest you ring around a few dealers & ask them what their basic service costs are for the type of motor you are after. Many dealers include a repack of trailer wheel bearings as well.
Do a search on this site & you will get some public info on acceptable dealers. A PM to someone who has been ripped off may produce some facts on those who are less than diligent. Names are not published due to the laws relating to Defamation.

Finally but MOST important. Get the motor completely checked out by a good mechanic & get a comprehensive written report before you part with a single dollar. If you really like the rig make the sale conditional on this report. This will cost $150-$200 but is the best money you will ever spend on your boat.

Kerry
20-09-2003, 06:47 AM
For my money simply replacing the water impellor only only goes a quarter of the way towards a service on the water pump as usually the whole thing should be replaced as a kit. The impellor generally outlasts the rest of the water pump assembly as far as wear is concerned especially if one plays on the sand bars a lot.

Cheers, Kerry.

clutter
20-09-2003, 05:26 PM
My 100hr service was just under $200 for a Yammy 40 4 stroke, this was parts and labour inclusive.

Clutter

lurch
20-09-2003, 06:43 PM
thanks guys
I just put a deposit on a Nautiglass V150 Sportsman , It has a 70 Jono but its in bits so i will probably go for the second hand / reconditioned job if possible , hopefully the same motor so i have spares if needed ,

I think its about late 70's or early 80's , what are these motors like??

Thanks for the replys , it looks like i'm now a boat owner i hope its worth it ????

Peter