PDA

View Full Version : cushioning seats

mick
27-09-2003, 08:34 AM
the pain of having my balls bash against the hard surface of the seat with the momentum of boat has become to much. up untill now i have steered with one hand and supported myself with the other, but this leaves no hand free for a tinnie :'( . anyway being such and old boat the bracket under the seat no-longer fits any seat on todays market. and, the pedistal post is not a standard size. so to get cushioned seats im looking at replacing the entire pedistal, seat and bracket ($300 each seat). next is the option of covering the existing seats in a cushioning, the quote i have is around $70 per seat. i can see about $50 worth of material. has anyone done a similar thing to there seats, if so how, sewing is not my strongest point but i will try anything once. please help me preserve my ability to have kids, any advice would be good.

mick

mackmauler
27-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Mick, what shape are the seats? if they are bucket style the shaping of the foam could be a pro-job, flat ones are easy just get some good quality foam from a foam rubber shop to suit your weight, get a waterproof foam and there is no need to cover it, glue it on with kwik grip.

Rob

NQCairns
28-09-2003, 06:55 PM
He He, Hey Mick before you spend the big bucks try these options.
There's an operation you could have for less than $300 that would fix the problem I know a Vet;D
What about a belly button ring and rubber band?
Can you palm the problem of to your wife :)
What about one of those hats that has a tinny holder and suck tube?
Try replacing those undies of yours they #have lost all the elastic or wear 2 pairs.
Sorry I couldnt be any real help, but you did give me a chuckle. Good luck nq

Heath
28-09-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm sitting here, laughing Mick :D and I can't stop!!!!

PinHead
28-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Not sure what sort of boat you have but i rebuilt the seating arrangement in a half cabin I had a couple of years back. I removed the pedestals...built cupboards from marine ply..bought new seats and screwed them directly on top of the the cupboard. On the passenger seat I connected a piece of play (screwed to the seat) to the cupboard with a piano hinge..this allowed the seat to hinge back...could then put the gas stove on there and cook a feed. It worked wonders..had more storage space...seats were a better height than they were on the pedestals..all worked well.

dazza
29-09-2003, 03:54 AM
you could also try an ice pack before going out, should shrink things enough to solve your problem ;D ;D ;D
cheers dazza

mick
02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
bellybutton ring and a rubber band, my god

i finnaly got a break in work to read the replies. some very creative and inventive idears. i have decided to mount some ply on the bracket and the new seats to the ply. theroreticaly this should work but i havent had a good look at it yet. which ever of these brilliant ideas i choose i will post some pictures of the end result ;D

thanks

mick