PDA

View Full Version : 4hp or 6hp

gruntahunter
25-09-2003, 02:12 PM
As you blokes may know, my son freddo has bought himself a 10ft tinny and I am going to buy him an outboard. He will be useing it mainly in the Maroochy river where the current runs like buggery. Is a 4hp motor going to struggle too much against a fast running tide?
It is a light boat..A haines hunter and weighs about 60kgs so a 6hp should push it along plenty hey?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially if you know of anyone who wants to sell one.
Thanks guys ??? ???

jaybee
25-09-2003, 02:40 PM
brother only has a 4 on his grunt goes well with two up and flys with one. however the more u push them the more they are fuel hungry little buggers, geez a litre will give two or three days fishing just ideling about lol.
cheers

peterbo3
25-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Evening Grunta,
Get the 6hp. He can always throttle back but it is hard to throttle up a 4 hp when it is wide open. Less wear too
because you are not working the motor so hard. Be a generous Dad, your boy will always remember. 8) 8) 8)

bugman
26-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Grunta,

I've got a 11 foot dehaviland tinny with a 2000 model 4hp Johnson - two cylinder job. Reason I went with the 4 was that I didn't have to register her. I think the laws have just changed to say that 6hp and over now requires registration. This may sway your thinking.

In mine - I can get her on the plane when I'm by myself and sitting in the middle seat. Makes it hard to steer though.

Anymore people and she digs in does about 6 knots flat out. Nice and peaceful however.

Bugman

Zeeke
26-09-2003, 04:29 PM
G'day Mate, i live on the maroochy river pretty much, the 6hp will be plenty, Swan Boat Hire use them on most of there tinnys because it keeps them at a 6 knot speed.. only recommendations id say is, tell him not to go past goat and channel islands.. the currents there are just too strong.. but the rest of the river, go for your life, ive seen too many fools in small boats with 4hp bangers on the back getting sucked towards the rips on the mouth because the motors cant handle it, and since they usually have a built in tank or a small 10 litre can on the floor, you really dont want to be stuck with a dead empty fuel tank while fighting the current.. other then that, good choice.. i started out with a 10ft fibreglass contraption with a 4hp Yammie on the back.. now i have a 4.3 meter Kakadu Seahunter.. only took me a year to outgrow the lil flota hehe

Tim

wildone13_au
26-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Look mate the bigger the better 2 people in that boat with a 4 wont go no where with the current aginst them

pogobill
27-09-2003, 08:02 AM
;)yep ,yep A wink is as good as a nod , I to live on the river and as every one is saying the 6 . No mater what you say he will want to try the boat out in the current , the 6 would be the safer . as far as the rego it is only a few $$$$ .
to my mind I would like the piece of mind .
bill

Zeeke
27-09-2003, 08:20 AM
im paying $50 a year rego on my boat and $36 for my trailer.. which is really nothing when you think about it.. my boat has a 35hp evinrude on the back and it even has a bit of a groan when im fishing in the river mouth or crossing it, the current is bloody strong.. so the 6hp is the way to go

Tim

gruntahunter
27-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys the 6 it is which will bring a smile to his dile no doubt.
His first fish from his own boat on the bbq will taste extra better.
;D ;D ;D

davo
01-10-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm running the 6HP 4 stroke Tohastu on a 3.6m Aquamaster cartopper v punt and it planes with two up and uses nothing as far as fuel goes. The single cylinder is a little coarse but with no 2 stroke smell I can put up with it.

gruntahunter
08-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys got 6hp Johno today. thanks for the help.