PDA

View Full Version : Buying a outboard

Sushi
18-10-2003, 07:01 AM
I would like to buy a low horse power outboard like 4~15hp please let me know what manufactuer is the best? and why?
And this will be my first time to buy a outboards so please let me know what's the most important thing to look at when buying it.
Any comment would be fine so let me know,Thank you!

Jeremy
18-10-2003, 08:06 AM
What sort of boat will you be putting it on? Forward steer or tiller control? Are you looking at new or second hand? Two or four stroke? Where are you located?

Most people think Yamaha has the best name in outboards, although in small to mid 4 stroke, Honda is also very good.

You will probably find that there is very little difference in price between different manufacturers, there will be big differences in the way you are treated at different dealerships though - but you may only find this out for the worse afterwards.

Jeremy

gunna
18-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Tell us what brands they sell over there in Canada for starters.

Cloud_9
20-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi sushi ! I'm no expert on outboards, but i do ask a hole shit load of question when looking into things.I'll put it to you like this have a look at all the hire boats around the place & see what motors are on them? there nearly all mercs or mariners ( same engine ) 9.9 or 6 HP. I know from talking to one hire guy on the Gold Coast, he runs 9.9 mariners. after years of comparing. apples to apples. he found yamaha's died at 600/700 hours.
honda were not much chop ether plus the cost.
Jono's 900/1000 Hours.
he now only uses merc/mariners 9.9 3000 Hours + and still going strong. i myself bought a socond hand one ( 9.9 ) there is vertualy nothing to go wrong with them. there's only 1 jet in the carbie which is too big to get a blockage, the fuel pump lasts for years and a monkey could replace it if it got a hole in it.( less than 1 minite to replace ) water pump impellers are hueg for a small motor, the standard spark plug lasts & LASTS mine is a 98 model still the same plug starts first pull every time. and it has a lot of hours on it.gearbox ! my motor is ex hire. from guy menchined, no movement in thrust bearing , top little engine , and if you want a bit more grunt put bigger carby instant 15HP ( 9.9's have No 41 carby and 15 HP have No 56 carby and 1 size bigger prop. just somthing for ya to mull over.
Cloud 9

striker
20-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Sushi,
Jeremy's point on after perchase service from whom you buy from is worth considering,to travel to satisfy a warrenty may not justify your travel and time cost.

Sushi
21-10-2003, 09:50 AM
To: Jeremy
I am thinking of putting it on aluminum boat and using 4stroke outboards(tiller handle).
I am living near Toronto Canada.

I heard that from a dealer that now Suzuki is getting good in four strokes but I do not know which manufacture is good or not.
If there are some differences in manufactures do you know what it is?
Or to look at the dealers is the most important thing?
If so what kind of things should I most closely look at?
please tell me for my information so that I could think of it when going to the dealer next time.

To:Cloud 9
Do you think that Mercury is the best motor to use in a long term.
Others do not last much than mercs?
what about the fuel cosumption or the acceleration is Mercury the best?
Could you please tell me more information.

Thank you guys for letting me know many good informations.

Sushi

davo
22-10-2003, 05:12 PM
I was using a 15 Merc which was on one of my Dad's boats. He bought it new with a 3.9m tinnie in 1997. He sold it a few months ago. I flogged it, it had fished all the dams in SE Queensland, Hinchenbrook, 20Km offshore from Townsville, prawned, crabbed etc... My new boat has 130hrs on it in a year and I used to troll a lot more. I must have put over 1500 hrs onit and it only had the 10hr service and I did the rest. It was easy to work on, start first pull and could troll all day. It's funny I had a 1995 75HP Merc and it was the worst motor I've ever owned.