PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank

macca
22-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Some of you might remember, I had a fuel tank/ guage problem when I recently purchased my new boat.

I have taken it back to the dealer and I had fiited an analogue gauge to my Quintrex.

The dealer has told me the gauge will never reach the full mark before the tank has completely filled.

Question, I am wanting to find out at what reading on my gauge, is the tank actually full?

If I was to over fill my tank in the process would this be dangerous?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Macca

NQCairns
23-09-2003, 05:15 AM
I think he may have meant that there would be a small lag with the guage. Mostly these guages are around a minute or so behind the tank on filling, also they are a guide only especially around the full and empty regions, it may take a few trips for you to get a feeling for the guage. If the guage was closer real time it would be impossible to read outside with all the rolling and pitching so it sort of averages the reading if that makes sense.
If over filling means spillage on your rig then that is not a good thing on a boat, be prepared to flush it all out before starting the motor for your day out. Good luck. nq

whiteman
23-09-2003, 09:30 AM
When I 1st got my Quinnie, I couldn't get the fuel gauge past 5/8, even though fuel would come out of the overflow at the pump. Then the wife slammed it sideways into a pier (no damage to the boat, just to her ear drums!) and I can now get the gauge a bit over 3/4.

If this was a car, it would have gone back to the maker time and again but it was all too hard for the guy that sold it to me. I even e-mailed Quintrex and they gave me a lame excuse about how hard it was to callibrate the gauge. This system needs a dip stick!

Kerry
23-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Dip stick ;D now that's the best fuel guage there is. Boat fuel tank guages are more gimmicks than of any real use and simply not reliable.

Even with a good fuel flow system (and small outboards don't need these either) the dip stick remains #1

Cheers, Kerry.

PinHead
23-09-2003, 04:02 PM
a dip stick?..I find my way of using the lighter and peering into the tank works..amazing how the mates disappear when I do that

NQCairns
24-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Pinhead are you trying to find out who reads this site without registering or posting :o nq

PinHead
24-09-2003, 05:13 PM
What seems to be the problem NQ????

NQCairns
25-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Sorry pinhead my humour can be rather dry, I just had visions of going boating and seeing on the horizon around me sporadic explosions (wylie coyote/roadrunner type)because the reader did not have the sense to ask what you meant if they didn't completly understand your joke. No grief intended. cheers nq

PinHead
25-09-2003, 11:53 AM
tis ok NQ..I will get back on my medication soon.

adrian
30-09-2003, 05:19 AM
who cares what it reads when full only care what it reads when empty. mine read 1/4 when i ran out of fuel lucky for me had a second tank to get me home now when the tank is empty the gauge reads empty

anzac

gruntahunter
30-09-2003, 01:49 PM
I,ve got a savage and the guage only goes to 3/4 when its chockers.I fill it till some comes out of the overflow evertime......is this ok as I,ve been doing it for 3 years?

At least I know I,ve got a full tank this way with out relying on the guage,

Cloud_9
08-10-2003, 04:55 AM
have similar problem with my new boat full tank reads 3/4 empty is empty, the sender was not setup properly when tank was made now its under the glass floor thats the way its going to stay.

Big_Kev
08-10-2003, 12:52 PM
F is for finished.
E is for enough.
Half way up the stick is half full and at the bottom I hope I don't have far to go.
Thats the way it works on my boat.
Haven't tried that lighter trick (maybe thats why i'm still here lol.)
Cheers Kev.

whitey73
28-10-2003, 05:08 PM
8)Get someone to watch the gauge when you are filling it from empty and when it starts to move take a note of the bowser reading and then u know what you have in reserve when the gauge shows empty. Cheers

Patto
29-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Had a similar problem 2 years ago when i purchased my 470DF signature, the gauge never read full and i was not game to test the empty accuracy. Anyway took the thing back 5 times to the dealer where he finally got it pretty close to where i was happy, but he gave me a warning when it saids its empty its EMPTY. i now always carry spare fuel
Patto