PDA

View Full Version : Mr T's Tinnies. Are they as shonky as they seem?

Dr_Shane_Griffiths
30-09-2003, 12:03 PM
What is it with boat dealers? I ordered a custom centre console tinny from Mr T's Tinnies at Cleveland. I made some straightforward requests, such as 4 black guages, Rule bilge pumps underfloor and for live bait and a small folding stern anchor light. They said no probs, that's easy because we are so professional. Well they said it was ready to pick up 4 weeks ago but put in 2 black guages and 2 white ones, cheap $10 bilge pumps (not Rule), and an anchor light that could double as an outrigger or flag pole it's so long (would get in the way for game fishing). I said I din't want to take the boat unfinished and everything I complained about seem to come as a shock to them. I just said read the contract, but still made to feel like I was a hassle to the. Geez I paid 20k for what they said they could do but still a big drama. They insisted I take the boat and enjoy it for the weekend and bring it back to get the items fixed. So each week I go down there and they've done one thing but not another. But when I complain about it they say they are "going the extra mile" for me to make it perfect. Well it was far from perfect with metal shavings everywhere and small scratches. Geez all they have to do is change a few guages and 2 pumps. I'm hopeless on boats but even I could do that in a few hours or less. Well it's 4 weeks on and I think they are finished, but I just feel angry and upset that my dream boat doesn't feel like such a dream. Is this normal behaviour from boat dealers? Is there anything I can do to express my concern? I have told the owner but he doesn't want to listen. He has my money and doesn't care. These guys are real arseholes and made me feel that I was a hassle and not worth anything to them. I have since had a problem with my 20 hour old motor and they don't want to hear about it. Who can you trust these days?

Shane.

blaze
30-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi shane
dont know if it would help but i would jump up and down and tell them i was going to public disclose who they are, make sure you only deal in facts though because you may find yourself in court
cheers
blaze

clutter
30-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Find out if they are members of the BIAQ and if they are, send in a formal complaint to the association. As far as the motor goes, if it is a new one (think it is), contact the manufacturer directly and express your dissatisfaction with the service of the supplier and the performance of their product. Ask for a written reply also, that kind of thing usually gets them going, no one lokes bad publicity.

Cheers, Clutter

Heath
30-09-2003, 07:24 PM
It is certainly not good enough, however! It amazes me how many people hand over huge sums of money for boats, when they are not what was expected. Do you think the dealer would be mucking you around for 4 weeks, if you had said " Nope! I aint paying you until it is right!" My bet is you would be picking it up the next day exactly how you wanted it.

I am certainly not condoning what the dealer has done, but it is becomming more & more common that people are taking delivery of sub standard finishes on their new craft, because they can't wait an extra few days if things arn't right & then have to walk over hot coles to have the dealer step upto the plate.

Cloud_9
08-10-2003, 04:50 AM
too true .. the law says if you take delivery of a product your accepting the quality & finish, you don't have a leg to stand on. Heath sumed it up! not happy don't pay.

clutter
08-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Shane,
How have you fared lately with your problem?

Clutter

mrswb
30-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Simple problem... Marine industry is governed by price. It is how most boatys shop. These dealers aim at this market and have cheap boats but at what stage do you not worry about service. Did you buy the boat because he was a smooth salesman, or did you buy it because they were giving you a better deal than somewhere else? I have heard (i know of) dealers who sell used engines as new one and sell commercial engines that have done 1000hrs as low hour immaculate ones. A simple paint job and decal kit hides its past life!! Not honest, but they are always the cheapest dealer when it comes to buying tinnies. You as the customer gets burnt when we the customer shop on price. Bloody visious circle.. However, you have a contract and if its not in the condition that the contract states go and see the BIAQ.

Sell the boat and build a stessl..