PDA

View Full Version : 90HP Honda or Suzuki ???

Barrymundi
26-10-2003, 01:50 PM
I have just about decided on my new boat but have a little problem with motors.

The dealer tells me Honda is better, simple Carby model and even reckons you can pull start it.

The dealer tells me the Suzuki is to high tech with a computer and so on. Any problems at sea is a tow home.

The way I see it is if it stops at sea not much I can do on either motor.

Price is irrelevant and so is the weight.

It would be good to here the good and bad from fishos with these motors..

If your view is giving either product a real bad hit please email me at adeaner@dodo.com.au and not here. I don’t want to start any arguments., after all if somebody spends this amount of money on a motor they can be a little passionate with their views..

nofrills
26-10-2003, 03:43 PM
hey alan
mate what about a 100 yammie.i would be chosing between that and the honda.if the dealer your getting the boat from dosent sell them you can allways buy the boat from him and the donk elsewhere.
ps.hope that confused you a little more ;D
cheers scott

nofrills
26-10-2003, 03:54 PM
ppss.really have no reason for disliking suzuki other than the fact that i used to race moto-x and all the girly boys rode them :-X :-X ;D

Kerry
26-10-2003, 03:55 PM
So as to have a clear picture, this dealer then ;) what motors do they sell ;D, just Honda or Honda AND Suzuki ???

Cheers, Kerry.

Barrymundi
26-10-2003, 04:19 PM
The dealer sells honda and Suzuki, he will also fit a Yamaha. I think he has better margains in the Honda

Big_Kev
26-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Alan I think that either of the motors you have in mind will make you happy.
I have owned both Suzuki and Honda products in the past(not only boating) and have been astounded by the qualityof both.
I think that you should be looking at the after sales service as you will be making a long term investment.
And if you can't get service where you are going, then it isn't worth it.
Suzuki have come out with all guns blazing trying to get the market share back and I think that it will come, but it was the lack of dealer support that saw me go elsewhere.
Cheers Kev.

NQCairns
27-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Nofrills I rode pony express/enduro/ironman on a Suzuki what does that make me? You wernt one of those Yamaha nancies were ya. :Dnq

dazza
27-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Hi Allan,
i don't think you can go too wrong with either. i have a honda 40hp, tiller steer, the only problem with it it the trim and tilt is hard to get at, i think honda have addressed that in the new models.
a mate bought a suzuki 90hp and put it on a haines drifter. it is an awesome setup. he is really happy with its performance, reliability, dealer support etc.
a difficult decision, good luck
cheers
dazza

hey scott,
least the suzuki's don't have squeeky fan belts [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

nofrills
27-10-2003, 04:42 AM
pony express!!!!!!!!!!!!! i rest my case your honour ;D ;D

hey dazza
how far can you swim maaaaateee ;D

Big_Kev
27-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Daz don't have to swim far I will pick him up with the Yammie when his Honda dies LOL.

clutter
27-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Check out the weights of the motors. The Hondas tend to be a fair bit heavier than their rivals. They are still pretty good motors but I like the Yammies at the end of all that anyway.

Clutter

mrswb
30-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Ok, heres my 2 cents. The honda 90 is the same engine and the 75 except for different carbies. I guarantee you that the only difference is about 3mph in the top end. (We tried this on a 5.3m freedom escape). I would be saving the $$$ and using a 75. I think the 90 are $12500 and the 75 $11300. It is NOT worth the extra for the 90. This is the same with the 115/130. A 115 can be tuned to run at nearly 130hp. Now with suzukis, all I can say is that they are not as quiet and nor as smooth as the honda. I cannot explain the reasoning, but the are nowhere near the excellence of the honda. Yes they are efi, but I dont think its necessary under 100hp anyway. The suzuki 140 and 250 are the best engines they make by far.. I must admit I am a bit of a honda fan. I had a 50 honda tiller on my 4.6 stessl and traded to the 60 yamaha, and I have lost speed!!! It is about 2mph slower than my old 50.. I know have my eyes on the new style 50 honda anyway. Hope this helps in some way

whiteman
30-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Big Al,

Which motor has the best resale as you only keep your boats for 6-12 months!!!

davo
30-10-2003, 03:31 PM
I've got a 60HP 4 stroke Yammy and it's great. I was at the Fisher boat open day and while I was there I went around to all the other owners and compared notes. I've got the 4.8 side console with no pod. This guy had a new 90HP Suzzy 4 stroke on the same boat but with a full extension transom and it was awesome. Col Svensonn who builds Fisher boats is a Yammy man through and through but he's fitted a few 90 Suzzies and he can only praise them.

Kerry
30-10-2003, 04:12 PM
The honda 90 is the same engine and the 75 except for different carbies .... same with the 115/130. A 115 can be tuned to run at nearly 130hp ....

The lower end of the HP range in these multiple block/HP configurations really have to be the preferred less stressed option as just about all the higer HP options (apart from a few minor mods) have increased revs to get the rated HP.

If one really thinks they need the top end HP block rating then in most cases it's probably worth while looking towards the next model up.

Cheers, Kerry.

Barrymundi
07-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I went for the 90HP Honda on a 5.9 C/C Hooker.

Why? Sales bloke said it was good #;D

whiteman
07-11-2003, 08:29 AM
At least most of your money will stay in Townsville as the Honda obviously has the highest margin for the dealer!

PS. Does this mean you've got a bigger boat than mine?

PPS. I notice from today's BOM report you should be able to test it in winds under 15 knots on December 16 2003!

craigie
07-11-2003, 02:43 PM
G'day Allan, I was just about to chip in with my comments, anyhow here they are ;D
What about the new Merc Optimax or the Evenrude E-Tech ?? We have so many choices in outboards these days, it's a difficult decission when choosing a new outboard motor.

Cheers Craigie.

Barrymundi
07-11-2003, 02:49 PM
The boat part was easy,

Motor, honestly i just gave up and went with the Honda,

Lots of motors, lots of marketing