PDA

View Full Version : 435 hornet

gibbson
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
hope someone can help got a 435 hornet 2002 model without the pod on the rear it has a 50hp johno 2cyl 2002 model and i an have a real drama getting this thing on the plane with three poeple in it. no probs with 2 guys in it each guy is about 85kgs and mite be another 50kgs in fuel and gear.i have put a hydro-foil on the motor se 2000 made big difference to ride of the boat as far as porpousing goes and gets out of the water quicker with 2 guys in it but with 3 guys forget it.wanted to go a 60hp but quintrex gave me the big no f#@kin way.hope someone can shine some light on this problem for me

kind regards
gibbson

clutter
02-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Check your motor height and also the prop you are using. Give Steve a ring at Solas Props and have a chat. He is all clued and should be able to give you a few pointers. A mate has a 435 tiller trophy with a 40 Mariner and had no problems getting 3 blokes with an average weight of 90KG+ and gear out of the water ok.

Clutter

Big_Kev
03-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Something is wrong,Should be more than enough push to get her up. I would be looking at the prop as clutter says.
What prop is on it now?
Maybe the motor trim with the foil is working against you also.(pulling the boat down from rest??)
Cheers Kev.

gunna
05-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Don't know if you read the Sportsfish site at all but have a look at this sorry saga on quinny hornets.

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18509&whichpage=1

aussiebasser
05-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Gunna,
Don't know how sorry the saga was. Quintrex rectified the problem under warranty, and then when further complaints were made, flew a representative to Sydney to identify more problems. The major ones were caused by dealer fit-up, not manufacturing defects. Sadly, these facts didn't rate a mention on Sportsfish.
Gibbson, your problem is possibly propeller related. Have you hit anything, even softly? I did a bit of prop bashing at Faust, and although it is hard to see the damage, it has made a big change to the performance of my hull. Slower out of the water and lower top end speed. It would be worth having your prop checked. Do you know how many rev's you motor is doing? Do you have power trim? Do you have the motor tucked in as far as it can go? Where are the 3 guys sitting? What other weight have you added? The questions are endless, and your best bet would be to take it to a reliable dealer to check what is wrong.

gibbson
06-11-2003, 03:37 PM
to clutter ,reel hard,aussiebasser & gunna thanks for the info guys.i think the best thing to do is take it back to the dealer and let him work it out with quintrex.thanks for the sportfish site gunna it was a eye opener and i must say a bit of a worry.
kind regards,
gibbson

Cloud_9
06-11-2003, 04:05 PM
the biggest problem with transom hights is that the cav plate sits level or just below the line of the keel, ( if the out board is left sit straight on top )
THAT IS NOT HOW ITS MENT TO BE.
the cav plate should be at least 25 mm about the keel line. you can go up to 50 mm about.
the reason being the water coming off the hull is rising, because your boat is making a impresion in the water ( the hull shape ) as you move through the water the water is pushed down as your boat passes the water rises at about 30 degrees depending on your speed. you want the water to pass under the anti spray plate thats the 1 just about the cav plate.as your get to WOT the cav plate should be just on top of water.
if your motor is too low water hits above this plate and you mite as well try to tow a skier, but with the correct hight of you out board you should get good boat speed the foil should be above the water at WOT and therefor should NOT reduce your top end speed. again if it does your engine is still too low. #glass boats dont have the same difficulty tinnies, because it the weld on the bottom of the transom that makes the defference.

gibbson
07-11-2003, 03:38 PM
cloud 9 from what your telling me it sounds as if my motor is in the rigth hight the first plate were the foil sits is about 25-30 above the keel.dont no whether it is the 50 johno that is the bucket of shit or the boat.foil hasnt effected the to end at all if any thing it has improved it.but with 3 guys in the boat she wont plane the johno will not go past 3800rpm.ive tried moving the guys both to the front to back even to the very front tip but still with no luck >:(

Big_Muddie
07-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi Gibbson.

I'm not sure I can help a lot here but I'll relate my experience just in case it can help.

15 months ago, I upgraded the motor on my 4.2 Quinny Explorer from a 30HP Mercury 2S to a 40HP Yammie 4S. Standard Yammie aluminium prop was fitted.

Shortly after I bought a genuine Yammie SS prop.

Fitted the SS and took it for a spin (alone) - noticed a little sluggishness up to the 3800RPM mark and then off it went.

I loaded up the boat for the usual fishing and crabbing trip my brother and I do - 4 days away at the Pin. #That's a significant load for the Explorer - 48L of boat fuel in the bow, 30L of diesel as well, the obligatory cartons of XXXX, clothes, food, wood, full fuel tank plus us at the stern etc etc. The Explorer was loaded to it's max weight (probably over if the truth is known). Of course the Yamie helps a lot here with PTT as well as 4 degrees of negative trim - great for those heavy loads.

Now, prior to fitting the SS prop the Yammie would get us (2 big guys plus all the gear) up on the plane reasonably well - say within 50 metres of gunning it. #That was immeasurably better than the 30HP 2S which often wouldn't get us on the plane - damn slow trips from Rudy Maas to the Slipping Sands I can tell ya).

After fitting the SS prop, I experienced almost what you describe - an apparent stall at the 3800RPM mark. But it finally got through that and up onto the plane - that took much longer (both time and distance) than it previously did but we made it. I wasn't happy with that performance so I reverted to the aluminium prop and all was well again. #I fitted a Permatrim last May and that made a huge difference (reduction) to the time and distance it takes to get onto the plane under load. #Removed porpoising almost entirely (even one up). I have yet to try the SS prop with the Permatrim but I don't expect any great improvement from the last time I used it.

The SS prop is the same diameter and pitch (I think - going from memory here) as the aluminium one - but naturally a lot heavier. I can only deduce from all of that that the SS prop is the problem in my case. With hindsight, I should have just gone to Steve Evans at Solas and got my SS prop from him - he makes sure through trials that what he sells you will do the job.

When it comes to the technical side of boating I don't even cause a tiny flutter on the Richter scale of knowledge, but having experienced the effects of using different props it isn't hard to draw some simple conclusions.

Clutter, Reel Hard and AussieBasser have suggested looking at the prop - and I agree - based on what I have experienced. #Even if you don't have a SS prop, perhaps the size and weight of your current prop is causing the problem.

I hope that is of some help.

Cloud_9
08-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Have to agree with big-muddie try smaller pitch prop.
1 size down in alloy or 2 in stainless.
stainless props of the same pitch don,t flatten like alloy 1's do.
alloy props flatten and loose pitch under load.

gibbson
08-11-2003, 03:46 PM
big muddie thanks for the info i think you and the other guys are right i will be giving steve a ring let you all knom of the outcome soon
regards gibbson