PDA

View Full Version : 5 metre centre console options

Jeremy
01-10-2003, 03:08 AM
I am after some advice and reccomendations on a 4.8 to 5.2 m centre console. I need a boat I can handle OK by myself and it has to be able to handle serious offshore fishing as well as flathead fishing down at Jumpinpin. I am heading toward fibreglass for the ride, but still looking at aluminium.

I have looked at a 2nd hand Spearfish 17, but wasn't impressed with the interior space and layout, so the Haines prowler 520CC, an older Haines CC, or the new Javelin 5 or 5.1 CCs are looking good.

Any one own one of these boats and can give some first habd experience, or reccomend an alloy boat they are really happy with?

Jeremy

shawn
01-10-2003, 05:14 PM
G'day Jeremy,
Have you had a look at Stinger boats?
Murray Hallam is building a new 5.8 metre long boat, which should be ready for water testing in a month or so.
Some of the features on the boat will be.....

-Full foam floatation under the floor, and around the gunnels.
-Front and rear casting decks, with storage inside,(if you want them).
-2 rod lockers (long enough for fly rods).
-Two 35 litre bait tanks.
-The centre console is designed to keep the GPS, sounder,VHF and stereo out of the weather.
-The 100 litre fiber glass fuel tank is inside the console.It also has a translucent window in it,so you can see exactly how much fuel is in it.
-Fully carpeted floor and casting decks.
-Plus a whole host of other goodies.

It will go on a drive on ,drive off trailer, so launching and retrieving will be no problem by your self.
Have a look at there web site at http://www.stingerboats.com.au #(all the boats on the site are older models,but will give you a general idea).
I am one sided though, because I have helped Murray design and build some of the moulds,I can't wait to get my boat on the water.
I hope this helps,and doesn't confuse the issue to much.
good luck...Shawn.

Jeremy
02-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Shawn,

I had a look at the web site. The boats look good and I like some of the features, but I think 5.8 m is too big and I don't want something with such a narrow beam as stability at rest is important.

Thanks anyway

SimonM
02-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Howdy Jeremy,

I have purchased one of the Wahoo boats from Roy Jervis Marine (also rebadged as a Mercury Seapro).

I got Roy to fit out my boat specifically for fly fishing. The boat has the following features:
- Large front casting platform with storage underneath.
- Pop-up cleats to keep clear of fly lines.
- Massive plumbed livewell (great for choosing dinner fish from the days catch).
- Centre Console with seating in front and behind of console. The centre console also has a fold down wind sheild allowing it to fit in the garage.
- Large esky drivers seat.
- Massive mackerel esky built into the floor (I have managed to fit mackerel up to 1.5m long into this esky)
- Twin rod lockers (fly rod length).
- Self draining deck.
- Built in 100 litre fuel tank.
- Built in tackle boxes.
- Flowcoat deck (I am not a fan of carpet interiors as they are a pain to clean blood, guts and muck out of).
- 60hp efi bigfoot Mercury

To be perfectly honest, it took a fair while to get exactly what I wanted. However, I have to say that I am extremely happy with the result. I fish all over Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast and I find the boat to be robust, extremely practical, very seaworthy for its size and very economical to run. It is by far the best and most pleasurable boat I have owned.

It seems that there are quite a few good boat builders in this style of boat at the moment (ie Fisher, Galeforce, Stinger, Hooker etc). I can only say that I am extremely happy with my choice and would recommend Roy as an option worth checking out.

Cheers,
Simon.

krazyfisher
02-10-2003, 10:25 AM
jeremy
dont let the narrow beam confuse you I have a 5mtr center console goodwin (longboat design) and it is very stable and a great ride
www.goodwinglass.com.au

mackmauler
02-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Jeremy, the ones that wont sink full of water are the best imo [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Rob

Smithy
02-10-2003, 12:15 PM
The Wahoos seem good. Peter Pakula raves about his and when I did my Coxswains course a few of the Coral Trout dory boys raved about them as well.

What about the Galeforces? See Wayne Kampes is for sale at the moment for $20,000 in QFM.

craigie
02-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Have you looked at the Cyclone 540 ?
Fibreglass, comes in Centre Console, Side Console and Tiller. I have spoken to several owners and not heard a bad word yet.

Might not be the cheapest option, but still worth the consideration.

My side-Console version is being built as we speak ;D ;D ;D

Craig.

Dean
02-10-2003, 01:34 PM
There is a new boat out by Stessl called a 4.8 or 5.2 trophy center console 4mm high tensile bottom with stringers and tracrail system This hull is powered with as little as 75hp its chine to chine is over 2 m so its very stable however it retains a very sharp bow.Its also quite cheap.Check it out at www.stesslboatgroup.com.au

Jeremy
03-10-2003, 03:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I am still quite a way off buying yet and just want to start narrowing down some options. I will check out all the websites you mentioned. I have spoken to Galeforce boats who are sending me out a brochure, and I had a good look at the Cyclone 540 at the boatshow. Looks nice but probably a bit bigger than what I want and also the $$.

Jeremy

MICHAELG
03-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Jeremy

for alloy have a look at fihser boats-http://www.fisherboats.com.au/

Mines being built see my post MY NEW BOAT have a couple of photos

Jeremy
04-10-2003, 03:23 AM
thanks Michael, I have had a look at the Fisher boats. They do look impressive. Still not sure whether I will be going glass or aluminium though.

Jeremy

MICHAELG
04-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Jeremy

i had the same problem deciding. I had to take a hard look at what is my fav form of fishing.

1 creek bashing, prawning, crabbing. Due to some of areas I do go, plate alloy won hands down because it can take the knox(rocks, stuffed ramps). Dont think the Gel coat would last long

2 I want to get into offshore/bay a lot more too. Plate again. I have had a clinker style(Clarke sea hunter) alloy before, it was rough as guts, never again, I dont care what they say about them now.

I have been in a few plate boats now offshore and my opion is if you drive it right they are quite a soft ride

good luck
Michael

simonfish
04-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Jeremy, not sure if you have looked at the trailcraft range of centre consoles.

They are solid plate boats (4mm bottom 3mm sides, sealed decks, etc).
I have a 4.5 profish (side console) and am very happy.

Just another option to put into the hat.

cheers,

Simon

damons33
05-10-2003, 07:54 PM
look man its like this u want sore neck and back u buy a platey! you want soft ride and a higher rough water speed you want fibreglass -you want super sonic(50teeth clenching knots) shot out to ure spot you want a cyclone and customise the storage. as for the gel coat get a deckey to hold the boat, we could talk about filling the deckey spot if u buy the cyclone-just dont pay the carpenter! then u can afford the cyclone- hell just seal the concrete and have no carpets in your house! tell the missus its the thing these days and all the trendies have it! :P

gif
07-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi

you were saying #"I am heading toward fibreglass for the ride, but still looking at aluminium."

The best compromise around (and very well priced) in the Polycraft. #Its some sort of marine grade Polyethylene. #I have been out in 2, with people in the tackle #industry # - and read a few reviews. # All of us were impressed.

The ride is soft and dry. # But you can belt it with a hammer and it doesn't crack. # #The plastic is 11 rated #(same as rainwater tanks and automotive parts) # so unless it is outdoors for 10 years don't worry about fading. #Seems a good compromise between Aluminium and f'glass. #It floats when sunk and lots of other good features # see www.polycraft.com.au

At this stage they have a 4.1 and a wide #4.5m #but the worst kept secret in town is #there is a larger one coming out soon - #closer to 6m I think.

Worth a look

Gary

Cloud_9
07-10-2003, 03:44 PM
this is my Galeforce 4.8 i fish alone 90% of the time , down the pin & outside.top boat. don't waste your time on a wahoo. 07 55461225 go to the sourcehope you find a boat that suites your needs.

Cloud 9

damons33
08-10-2003, 03:45 PM
galeforce-well thats very snazzy isn't it! wonder if it comes with a full transom and pod to take it to a 5.1 as jeremy has issues of water coming from behind him! :-*
#still the 540cyco has me rapt just wish they made it with more storage- the cyclone is nearly $30000 whats that galeforce worth? :o

Cloud_9
12-10-2003, 09:55 AM
prices depend on what you want in the boat

Jeremy
13-10-2003, 04:35 AM
just back from a weeks holliday (see reports). I'll check out the polycraft, although from what I can remember, the sides aren't real high. I have spoken to Galeforce and got that price list and will be keen to check them out and compare when the time comes.

Jeremy

Cloud_9
13-10-2003, 04:11 PM
gada jeremy give polycraft a mis buddy friend of a friend bought 1 it spilt down the middle, he had a lot of trouble getting it fixed so he could dump it.
Cloud 9

krazyfisher
13-10-2003, 05:16 PM
cloud_9
why did he dump it when it has a 5 yr hull warranty ::)
I had a polycraft 4.55 good boat for its price most likly not as good as a galeforce. they are wet and so on but good for the price. I have had one and sold it so I can tell anyone what I though of it with no bias I am not associated with any brand.
p.s. liked the look of the galeforce might have bought one if they would have returned my call or sent me a price list

Cloud_9
14-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Krazyfisher

that was the main problem the warranty!
the boat was 4 months old it was getting used in Morton Bay, they recken he must have been jumping it like in their bouchures. it took 6/7 months of muking about to get it fixed . the details are scetchy all the info was second hand. but the boat did split right down the keel.

BurdekinBob
09-11-2003, 11:46 PM
I can't believe it! All of those replies and not one favouring the Quintrex.
They have a good range in the size you are looking for.....475, 500, 530, 560.
I own a 475 centre console Quinnie, and wouldn't swap it for any of the other boats mentioned.
If you are looking for a soft, dry ride outside, then none of the others come close, unless you can afford a Haines Signature or similar, and then its only marginally softer, and certainly no drier!
The Quintrex is probably a lot cheaper than some of the other boats, but dearer than some. You get what you pay for.
The main reasons that I purchased my Quintrex, is that its about as big as the average 60 year old bloke can handle on his own at the ramp, and the afore-mentioned ride and dryness.
The bonus is that it has heaps of storage, both under the casting platform, and under the console.
Mine is a custom- built 2001 Millenium hull, and only has a 65 lt fuel tank under the floor, the new 475 has about 90 lt. However with the 60 four stroke yammy, I have an off-shore range of about 100 miles, so it has never been a problem. I always carry a full tote tank under the console as well.
I think that the new ones may be a little better than mine, I think that they can take a 75 Honda, or a 80 Yammy, because the transom weight and hp limits have both been lifted.
Anyway, look at the rest, but don't forget to check the Quintrex range out.
Burdekin Bob