PDA

View Full Version : The new Polycraft Challenger completed.

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:32 AM
I`ve been asked to whack up some images of the newly completed plastic boat.
This baby flys!!
This is not a commercial post and the whole thing was built and paid for in full by me.
I do however, think they are the ducks nutz and shall tell anyone who is interested anything they want to know about my research into the benefits of Polyethylene in marine applications.

Randall.

It started out like this....bare hull.

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:34 AM

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:35 AM

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:35 AM

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:38 AM

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:46 AM
The honda has a standard prop and I am getting about 58 kph out of it top speed with one up and all the gear on board..

With a solas S/S prop, this little rig got 68 kph. (With no weight on board)

Handles exceptionall well. Pops out of the hole in a second. Is quiet and smooth. Handles the rough water very well and is a very dry boat.

Very happy with the no corrosion, no electrolysis, not rust aspect of poly. Unsinkable due to a double hull design.

There are many other benifits. They are becoming very popular now and people are starting to look at them seriously.

Randall.

TimNQ
06-11-2003, 03:49 AM
So youve tested it? nice. check your pm's
Tim

Randall
06-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Tim...approx 10 hrs on the water so far mate and most of those hours were in rough water.

I`ll answer your PM here mate cause I`ll only have to do it once. ;D

Bare Hull....$3000

Trailer........$1200

All accessories....$1700 (Motor Guide/batteries marine ply/carpet/hinges/screws/cabling/console ect..ect.

Honda........$7600

Labour....Did it all myself.

Already had the sounder and GPS from old boat.

In other words.....a whole lot cheaper than an equivalent boat made in another type of material!!!

Randall.

Brett_Finger
06-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Randall,
the rig looks great,and i can now announce that i too am in the process purching one for my Guideing business.
i have been fortunate to fish out of the same hull on a few occasion over the past 3 weeks and i cannot praise them high enouhg.
thay are extreamly stable and quiet on the water,not to mention one of the softest dryest hulls i have ever been in.
the team at Polycraft have gone to great lengths to fit the hull out for my requirements and the professionalism i have recived from this company is second to none.
i too have purchsed the boat and motor,the fitout for the boat in survey is from the company.
Hookin,Brett

lordy
06-11-2003, 05:46 AM
The thing impressed me the most was how simple it was to put the decks in. Just 4 bits of plywood (2 for the walls and 2 for lids) and then use the boat for the rest. I think anyone could do it. IMHO Simplicity=Genius.

Randall
06-11-2003, 06:52 AM
Lordy.....your spot on mate, very easy to retrofit decks and accessories. 8 gauge s/s screws is all you need!!

Brett....how soon will the polycraft boys be before it is complete? You may be interested to know that Birdy had one up at Faust a few weeks back with a 40 honda on the bum. He did the fit-out himself and is happier than a pig in mud. You know how particular he is with his boats and the polycraft addressed all his needs and more. He`s pullin 60 kph out of it and thats with a 40!! I have more weight in mine.

Randall.

Mad_Barry
06-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Top lookin set up Randall
and bloody economical too by the sound of it #8)

I was yacking to the dealer for them up here the other day, & he's selling truck loads of 'em. All up, your hard pressed to find many negative comments from people, #I' think they're becoming more "acceptable" in the market, where as a couple of yr ago they were being passed over for a"proper" boat...........what ever that is #;D #

Randall
06-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Gidday Tony...how goes it mate? Hope that boat of yours is going well. Have you polished those scratches out of the hiull yet?? ;D

Yep, the polys are looking real smart mate. Sometime next year the 4.75 Challenger will be available and that will make some other brands sit up and take notice.

My little 4.1 is a back to basics boat for me and is perfect for estuary and dam work with the occassional trip outside on a calm day.

Stay safe up there mate.

Randall. (PS..will look you up if ever I come to townville)

Mad_Barry
06-11-2003, 07:31 AM
No worries mate, anytime #;D
Bring some non windy weather with you, we forget what that is lately ???

Brett_Finger
06-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Randall,
boat should be finished by the end of next week,the hull (in full survay) is siting on the fitout floor at the factory now. #:)

i am rapt with the 2 massive 110lt live wells standard in the hull as well as rear wells.
this makes for an all round fishing package,catch and release has never been made so easy #;)

in addition to this the fitout team are extending my frount cast deck to 2 meters and we are fitting a 55lb Minn-Kota foot control to top the package off.

with the demand for these boats being so high, no matter how much i beg and plead i have to wait in the fitout line like all the rest of the good folk waiting for their new boat.

a weeks wait for a new boat is something i can put up with #;D ;D ;D

i'll be bolting a 40 yammy on the back just to poke her along nicely, #:o
with the wake conversion chines on the hull thay promote lift that is driven towards the stern for faster transition to plane,thus increasing engine efficiency and fuel ecomony #8)

as for the colour well it's .....
Hookin,Brett #;)

Randall
06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
The last I heard, delivery of a standard hull was 2 weeks. Considerably better than other manufacturers huh? #Add a week for special mods....cant complain about that.

Looking forward to our Barra bash on Monduran this weekend buddy!!! #Glad you invited me along. Thanks for the call.

Randall.

big_george
06-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi randall.
The boat looks fantastic.
A trip to faust should take the gloss off the sides. ;Dhave a bloke looking at Binloudon tomorrow arvo.Let us know how you get on at the weekend.Got my email from Fitzy.Thanks.Finished 8 days at work this arvo,buggered.Was going to try an get up to Mondurran this weekend with Paul Dolan,unable to. .Still a lot going on down this way.William swims this weekend., on track for the olympics.Haven't cast a lure since faust.Sad .. :-[ :-[
cheers george.

antman
08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Hi Randall, The polly looks wow, from the photos the fit out looks very practical and roomy.Im interested in one myself and are wondering how you got on fitting a 50hp to the back of her insurance & warenty etc. Ive been told i could only fit a 40hp and that is only if i go for the side console option. 30hp if i stick to a tiller steer.

cheers Tony.

big_george
10-11-2003, 07:34 PM
G'day biggin
Do ya have any photo's of your poly craft .?? Would love to see how you decked it out.
cheers george

Brett_Finger
11-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Biggie,
the "Tuppaware Tinny" will be finished this eek,as soon as it's got sinage ect.. on her i'll post a few photos up for ya.
Hookin,Brett

big_george
11-11-2003, 04:20 AM
biggin.
That would be great.how did ya go at Mondurran ??
thanks george. ;D

webby
12-11-2003, 03:10 PM
HI Good to see shes up and running, very impressed with you talents ;D.
You'll be right now for a solo or tow :-X out to Mud, and see if we can bounce here off a few pinnacles ;D.
She'll be great for getting into some of those low lying lagoons out there where the big bream and grassies taunt you.
Is white the only colour available, 1 m longer and half a cab and you could have terrorised the bay ;D.
Catch up with you soon for a dabble and bring the video ;D
regards

clutter
13-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi Randall,

Great looking boat and very practical. My question is pretty much the same as the one from Antman. How do you get by with insurance and warranty with the 50 fitted to the back of her? Would appreciate a reply as I wouldn't mind going down a similar line.

Cheers, Clutter

Brett_Finger
14-11-2003, 03:40 AM
the boat is rated for a 50 if it's side console,40 if not,bear in mind a 40 2/stroke will go as hard as the 50 4 no probs.
you will void warrenty with 50.on a tiller.
Hookin,Brett #:)

clutter
14-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks Brett,
I was under the idea it was 40 for the side console and 30 for the tiller.

Thanks again,
Clutter

Brett_Finger
15-11-2003, 01:34 AM
no probs mate,
i am fairley sure i'm correct,
i'll confirm %100 today as we fit the motor to mine this morning,looks like i'll be on the water the weekend after all. ;D
as soon as the sinage is fitted i'll shoot off a heap of shots and post them up here.
Hookin,Brett :D

aussiebasser
15-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks Brett,
I was under the idea it was 40 for the side console and 30 for the tiller.

Thanks again,
Clutter
They've rerated them Clutter, Brett is correct. 40hp Tiller and 50hp Console. Randall's was custom made to accept the 50hp Tiller legally I believe.

Randall
18-11-2003, 03:43 AM
They have been re-rated to 50 hp forward steer or 40 tiller. However, mine was a special with the factory allowing a 50 hp tiller.

Spent the last week away fishing the Gladstone area and the boat performed faultlessly in all conditions.

Also got a sneak preview of the new 6 mtr offshore rig being built by polycraft at the factory in Bundaberg. It will take a 150hp but a 115 will do just fine. Looks very impressive and HUGE with tons of storage space and a huge fishing area!!
Should be launched in early 2004.

Randall.

NQCairns
18-11-2003, 05:33 AM
Wow 6m plastic boat! If it is a real 6m and not an extensioned out 5.0m that will put the cat among the pigeons.
Did they say what the cost will be for a hull only? Look forward to seeing the poly trailer it will fit on :o, a solid block of plastic milled to fit the hull with wheels I guess ::).nq

Brett_Finger
18-11-2003, 01:16 PM
yes NQ she'a a real 6m :o
i have seen it today almost ready to be baked,the boys are fine tuneing the mold !!
Hookin,Brett

NQCairns
18-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!, something else to save for, thanks Brett.nq