PDA

View Full Version : Boat Modifications

smerl
13-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that someone out there may be able to give me the name and contact details for a reputiable outfit that can do FRP modifications (cosmetic not sructural) and custom stainless work. Ideally I would like to find one outfit that can do both. If not, two separate ones would be fine.

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Smerl

Cloud_9
13-11-2003, 04:51 PM
When you say FRP are you refering to Fiberglass reinforced ply????
Or just Fiberglass, Chances of getting 1 firm that does both will be remote.
what area are u in?

smerl
15-11-2003, 11:21 AM
FRP = Fibre Reinforced Polymer (Fibreglass). I am in Brisbane. I know I would have to be lucky to find one place that does both but you never know. If anyone knows of a reputable stainless steel fabricator or a reputable fibreglass fabricator I would gladly accept numbers for either.

Thanks,

Smerl

davo189
15-11-2003, 03:58 PM
For good marine stainless work go and see Martin down at Seaquip - they are very good.

Cheer, Davo.

Kerry
15-11-2003, 07:25 PM
"FRP = Fibre Reinforced Polymer" and you certainly would be lucky (extremely) to find someone also into Stainless.

What you really mean is "GRP" as "FRP" really isn't what your boat is made of, unless of course you have extremely expensive tastes in composites and have one extremely expensve boat.

Cheers, Kerry.

smerl
20-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Kerry,

Thank you for pointing out that I was not being specific enough. Your comments actually made me check back through my old materials engineering text books to confirm the meaning of the terms GRP and FRP. I'm sure that you know that GRP is actually the shorthand version for GFRP (Glass Fibre Reinforced Polymer) which is a member of the FRP (Fibre Reinforced Polymer) suite of materials.

I appreciate the oportunity to undertake some revision.

Thanks,

Simon