PDA

View Full Version : Not boat but Car Related

Zeeke
29-11-2003, 10:28 AM
my bro is selling a 1989 model v6 Mitsubishi Pajero 7 seater for a friend of his for $6000.. im curious on what you guys think about them and anything that i should look out for.. im after a vehicle myself to tow my boat to fishing locations and next year also do a few fishing tournaments.. so i need something reliable..

Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Tim,

I'd say the first thing to watch out for is $6000 1989 Mitsubishi Pajeros. (or any Pajeros in my opinion, unless you are particularly looking for a pretend 4wd)

If you are looking at a vehicle around that vintage and you want a good reliable boat puller that will get you anywhere you wish, look at a patrol or a cruiser with the old straight 6 diesel engine. (have a look on the carpoint website and see what 1989 patrols or cruisers are going for, I bet more than 6K but there is a reason for this - they are still going strong)

Cheers,
Jeff

Lucky_Phill
29-11-2003, 03:18 PM
trade in price guide* $4,200 - $5,700
national average price - private sale* $5,400 - $7,800
price when new (RRP) $35,330

this may help Tim.

for further indepth info, go to redbook.com.au

peterbo3
29-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Tim,
Hate to be a wet blanket but I agree with the big ape.
$6000 is gonna buy you a heap of trouble. :( :( :(Save your bikkies or get a cheap tow car that is eay to fix like a Ford or Holden. There are not too many places where you need a $WD to launch at & if ya do, a $WD type trailer will also be needed. :o :o :o :o

snappa
29-11-2003, 03:56 PM
hi

nothing wrong with a second hand pajero
same as any car or 4x4
if they were looked after
a friend of mine bought a second hand short wheel base and has never looked back and he did have a toyota.

maybe your bro should know more about the vehicle and its history
just because its a pajero doesnt mean its shit
they will go any where the others can.
thats my opinion and i have a pajero (tows the shark cat NO WORRIES) and yes i have owned a cruiser also.
i also owned a 1990 v6 pajero and had not a problem..
my bro..... bro in law both own pajeros and just ask them
they are "HOOKED"

snappa
29-11-2003, 06:30 PM
hi

after what you have said :o
FORGET IT ;D

blaze
29-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Hi
that model pajero has the same model gearbox as my L300 4x4 van
The gearbox has an inherent problem with 5th gear
the lockinging device on the shaft to stop the nut coming undone is a sh.. setup. when the nut comes undone all the preload will come off the bearings and all hell brakes loose. the shaft needs to be replaced to fix the problem and that alone will cost $450 plus every thing else you need (no short cuts)
The 5 speed sigma box has a better 1st gear ratio and will fit along with the other nessary parts (apart from the said shaft). I had mine frigged about with by to mitsubishi dealer, one in tassie and another in warnabol and finally decided to do the job myself and ended up taking one of the dealers to court
Pm me if more info wanted
just a loosy gearbox
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
29-11-2003, 07:06 PM
You beat me to it Blaze, the gearbox is trouble, but the rest will do the job, not like a late 80s patrol or cruiser will, but honest all the same, nice soft ride on the tar too. Did you win in court Blaze? nq

clutter
29-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Just always remember "If its got tits or wheels its going to give you trouble".

Clutter

blaze
30-11-2003, 04:43 PM
hi nq
won before court

Kerry
30-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Just always remember "If its got tits or wheels its going to give you trouble".

No, you forgot "propellors"

Cheers, Kerry.

Sniper
03-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Mitsubishi's marketing committee cut the last part of their slogon off. I'm sure they did it on purpose too. "PLEASE CONSIDER ANOTHER VEHICLE"
Ask most mechanics. To many problems with em. If you got heaps of money for constant repairs then go for it
Bill
[smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]