PDA

View Full Version : Sounders

Thebuffalo
12-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Was talking to Santa today, (my grandmother, God bless her socks) and Santa would like to buy me a sounder or part there of for Christmas. I don't really have any idea what to tell Santa to get. Santa would like to spend up to $7 - 800. I would be happy to put in a little extra to help Santa out for the right piece of kit.

My brother -in- law has a Lawrence and is quite happy with it.

Ideas please. Oh! can you get a sounder with a GPS inbuilt?

Cheers
Thebuffalo.

aido
12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
if you don't mind second hand gear, check alan-townsville's
lowrance 350 plotter/sounder. i reacon you'd be happy with
something like that.
in the 'for sale' forum

merv
12-12-2003, 11:03 AM
I HAVE A LOWRANCE X97 VERY HAPPY WITH IT ,HAD IT IN 12MONTHS NOW NOT A PROBLEM VERY HAPPY.I FIND IT EASY TO USE AND VERY CLEAR BOTH ON REEF & ESTUARY WORK . WOULD RECOMMEND A LOOK. MERV

krazyfisher
12-12-2003, 11:26 AM
i have had a lowrance , humminbird(legend), raymarine(apleco) and garmin(240) my pic is the garmin reads well easy to use. I am sure there are better sounders out there and each to there own but remember you get what you pay for

Cloud_9
12-12-2003, 01:56 PM
had a few sounders lorance was the first the new 1's are pretty good the base modle at the moment has a real good screen and picsal count for a cheapy. went to the launch of the new matrix sounders that hummingbird have out now there bloody good value for money, good screen easy to use.now i have Koden colour 50/200mhz i will stay with the up mark stuff you know exactly whats down there under your boat.
buy the best you can afford , as Krazyfisher said you get what you pay for!

Thebuffalo
12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I would like one that say's "throw your line in just to the left of the engine using a live mullet approximately 6 inches long and lower it to approximatly 21.5 meters". How much are they?

Jokes aside, I have used Garmin equipment before but I didn't know they made sounders. One thing with fishing up here is you have to have good equipment to put you right on the spot, it is pretty precise. Same everywhere I suppose.

I will look at the for sale section as well. Tyhanks for the advice, you didn't give me any prices though, would I get a decent one for $800?

Cheers

Thebuffalo

krazyfisher
12-12-2003, 06:17 PM
you should get a garmin 240 for that price maybe even a 240blue dual beam I have just always found garmin to be of the highest quality. also I would go for gps and a sounder not 2-in-1 because aleast if one stops working you can still use the other one, as well as if you like to turn your sounder off when fishing the gps is still working

Thebuffalo
13-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Krazy, I might just do that, sounds like good reasoning to me. I had better tell Santa.

Cheers

Big_Kev
13-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Buffalo I am in the market for a new sounder as well and if santy don't bring me what i want, I will get it myself early next year.
After much deliberation and research it is my opinion that the Lowrance X88 is the best all round sounder and fits your budget well.
Cheers Kev.