PDA

View Full Version : WATER PUMP

rakinray
29-12-2003, 04:21 AM
G/day all, took the boat out sat and noticed that the flow of water out the outlet was very low . It has only just started to do this as i normally check it every trip.Was just wondering if there is some way to check for blockages, or some way to try and clear it, i also realise it may be stuffed and if so how easy are they to change ,are kits available, user friendly,and so on. The motor is a 96 model mariner 60 hp in mint cond i have never touched the water pump before so should i have ? So if anyone can help i wont use it untill i have it sorted out and that means no fishing on my holidays DOH ! all help would be much appreciated. ;D

CHEERS RAY :)

blaze
29-12-2003, 04:46 AM
hi ray
fairly easy to change, basicly undo the row of bolts that hold your gearbox on, drop the leg and the water pump will be exposed.
things that make it a bit hard sometimes are , how the gear selector is joined in the leg (probley some bolts or clamp to undo), make sure the shaft is not worn wear the seal runs, make sure there is no oil in the gearbox, turn the drive shaft when putting the cover back on the inpellor, may have trouble lining up the drive shaft on reassemble, always remember paicence is a virtue and yes you can buy a kit. also ask if there is any factory mods to the water pump. may also be just blocked so take the cowl off and diconnect the pipe to your telltale and poke a fine bit of wire back through the tell tale
hope this helps
cheers
blaze

Remo
29-12-2003, 10:10 AM
I think Blaze has nailed it, it sounds as if there is a blockage.
I had the same problem only last weekend.

aquarius
29-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Ray sometimes those mud wasps block the tell tale pipe with dirt......it happened to me twice.......like the guys said lift the cowl and check the hose first.
Cheers Brent
ps....i get my motor serviced once a year by a marine dealer.

Big_Kev
29-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Yep Ray check the little hole for the tell tale probably blocked with sheet.
I think that blaze may have meant to check the oil level in the gearbox and make sure it is not milky with no water present.
The Mariner water pump is easy to service if you are mechanicaly inclined (drop the gearsboxas blaze said) and I recomend to change the thermostat as well as these can be a problem in Mercs from past experience.
Otherwise go for a major service and that will include water pump.
Cheers Kev.

rakinray
29-12-2003, 05:18 PM
G/day all just got home and found all the good info on my post,heres hoping its only the tell tale, will get it sorted tomorrow. Just like to say thanks for the help, its what makes this site what it is 8) also i too like to get the motor done every 12 months too brent shes due in may, i have changed the gearbox oil only 2 months back try to do it max every 6 months or less. Kev is the thermostat in the leg or under cowl?i will dig up the manual tomorrow but it all helps.

CHEERS RAY ;D