PDA

View Full Version : Update: Project continues trailer time now

NQCairns
29-08-2003, 10:36 AM
HI all,
Some of you will remember my project boat and the transom post well here is the Trailer DIY. I got sick of taking the tinny of and on to move the project and I also needed a break from fibreglass. Here are some pics of the trailer frame about 1/3 done. Also in the background the 125 Evinrude I just bought ($600) never been in salt, no corrosion inside or out and almost all original with low low low hours and like new compression and bores - go figure, this I will use to get me over the Maiden voyage hump and a bit beyond also with luck? Actually this was a better engine than all of the to $4500 engines i looked at?
Sorry about the pic quality I have yet to upgrade from the dinosaur digital that I have got.

Here is a breakdown of costs and stuff for anybody just interested or considering the same project.

1 times 75*75*3*8m gal RHS = $110
2 times 50*100*3*8m gal RHS = $120 each
Pack of Welding rods = $15
Assorted grinding disks = $20

Here is the estimates for the rest
Brakes/axle/springs/hubs/rims/tyres/hitch/lights/Guards = $800 with some second hand stuff in there if I can.

Rollers and all brackets/ubolts to suit/winch etc = $300 - 400

The little bits of angle etc and hot dip galvanising for any home made part that will get dunked in salt= $150

Estimated virtualy finished total is $1700 but should be able to get that lower by a couple of hundred hopefully. Nq

NQCairns
29-08-2003, 10:50 AM

NQCairns
29-08-2003, 10:50 AM

NQCairns
29-08-2003, 10:51 AM

jaybee
29-08-2003, 01:16 PM
hey nq have u checked the price of durogalv, my bro had what you have in the photos all made up for $350 delivered to his doorstep, with all the right bits welded into place, all he had to do was fit rollers and axle assembly and hitch. btw that was for a 4.7 mtr boat.
cheers
joe.

NQCairns
29-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Now that would be cheating for a DIY project wouldn't it Jaybee! ;) Good price though for a trailer frame complete. Nq

jaybee
29-08-2003, 04:28 PM
nq i believe we had this chat once before in a thread i thought you were going to check out a price ..oh well as long as you are happy with the end result is what counts, looks like you are doing a great job..look forward to more of the post. take care
joe

Hagar
31-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey NQ
Seems we both like the agony of extended DIY boat rebuilds. Recently finished my third and last - a Haines V17L. Looks like you are using duragal RHS ? . I guess you know it will not last as is eh . Even this stuff needs to be hot dipped galv. when the welding is all done. If you do this don't blank the ends of any of the RHS sections or leave large drain holes so the gal can get inside and it won't float in the gal bath. Nice buy on the engine.
;) Hagar

NQCairns
31-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Hagar wow your 3rd and last.. should there be a question mark behind last?
Yeah I know that getting it hot dipped is one better than a good paint job and preventative maintenance but they want around $350 for a trailer this weight around here, and then I have the hassle of getting it there pulling it to bits, taking the bits home only to go back and put it all together again all to save a 350 dollar frame, others have got 15 - 20 years out of painted frames with good maintenance so I will see how it goes. I plan to seal the frame from the outside air and fill with sump oil over time. I almost chose a v17r for my project great hulls those and there was a junker for 300 just up the road. Only problem with having a motor this early is the feeling of increased urgency to get it all up and running. Thanks for the reply. Cheers nq

Hagar
03-09-2003, 04:17 AM
Hey NQ
Yes mate definately the last DIY project. This one on the Haines was a complete strip and rebuild of the entire inside of the hull. Floors, frames, stringers etc back to the original hull moulding. The transom seemed like a small extra after all that. But I ended up with a boat I can confidently throw into any sort of rough stuff without worrying.
8) Hagar

NQCairns
15-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi all, some might remember my first trailer post? Well I just reached the next stage it's outside now and the suspension is all bolted up no problems :o, the budget blew out a fair bit though but i have yet to work it all out it might just seem that way, next job is rollers then boat goes on then guards then lights then rego. When i get there i will post the total cost.cheers nq