PDA

View Full Version : Honda/Yammie

Touchy - R.I.P.
10-01-2004, 03:19 AM
OK Gang,Just about made up my mind on a 50hp 4stroke Honda but open for comments/recommendations ect. for/against re Honda or Yammie at this stage any feedback welcome plus any dealer contacts I can chat to re both of the above also welcome.Will pos.have a 1994 40hp merc & controls all in very good nick for sale soon.Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

SNELLY
10-01-2004, 03:57 AM
Touchy,

IMHO I reckon that the Yamaha is quiter and smoother than the Honda.

I own a Yammie 60hp

SNELLY

Touchy - R.I.P.
10-01-2004, 05:22 AM
G'Day Snelly,Any idea what price I'd be looking at re 50hp.Yammie/controls/fitting?.T.><>.

Randall
10-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Touchy, you know I own a Honda 50 and sing there praises. Smooth economical and quiet. I have owned a Yammy too and they are certainly an well engineered engine. However, I reckon the Hondas have the edge for what I do with them.

The Hondas are a 808cc engine with carbys. They have some creative porting refinements that make them a sweet and reliable workhorse.

The Yammys are a more performance unit, as are the Mercs. They have bigger bores and stroke length and are slightly better equiped for the "grunt" aspect. (Not too much though)

I reckon you would find the Hondas perfect for what you need to do with an O/B.

I`m not up with all the current rip-off pricing for O/B`s right now but I suspect you wont get much change out of $8000 including fitting. I saved myself about a $1000 3 months ago when I was shopping for an O/B simply by ringing around.

Randall.

SNELLY
10-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Touchy,

Not sure on the price of a 50 you're looking around 9 all up for a 60 - You may be able to do better down south

JON

Big_Kev
10-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Touchy when I was looking I went for the Yammie 60 as it is the same donk as the 50 and only a bit more cabbage.The Honda 50 was the same price as Yammie 60.
I paid 8200 and fitted it myself 12 months ago.They will be more than that now for sure.
My motor is carburated that makes them cheaper than the EFI and the carbs I think are the more reliable.
I can get up to 4km/ltr if I am conservative, and all 4s will give good economy.
I recomend you talk to George at Wynnum marine, I have had nothing but the best of service from them and get a discount on all I buy from the shop there.
Cheers Kev.

Touchy - R.I.P.
11-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Forest,Its all your bloody fault for giving me a test run up at the dam,I thought the Honda was a dream but I want to do a bit of homework first I give you a call later on,Kev Thanks I'll speak to George at Wynumm(Will he bump up the price If I mention your name :o)Cheers T.><>.

Big_Kev
11-01-2004, 04:38 AM
Nah he won't bump up the price.
I have always found George to be very old school type with high values.
He still asks me how my motor is going and makes sure I am happy with it every time I see him.
Cheers Kev.

antman
11-01-2004, 11:17 AM
hi Touchy,
have you given the suzi 50 any thought ? they are getting great write ups and are fuel injected. as for carbies vs efi , if cabies came as an option on a new ford or holden would you be going for it? i know i wouldnt.

cheers tony.

Big_Kev
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Tony the carb has been around for a very long time and is a simple means of generating power from the engine.
Nothing wrong with it, works well.
EFI is definetly the way of the future, due to the infinite control of delivering the fuel for the purpose.
However if the current system meets the requirements then one would have to give it the thumbs up.
I looked at the Suzuki myself and can honestly say that the only thing that stopped me from going for one was the lack of dealers.
I would have had to go to the sunshine coast, and that is a bit far for after sales service.
This may have changed by now I would hope as they have a great product.
Cheers Kev.

aquarius
11-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Hey Kev isnt haines signature handling the suzuki 4 stroke motors now.......have noticed them on the new boats at certain dealers around Brissy.
Cheers Brent

Lucky_Phill
12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
The old question arises again. Well, Fred, you know my thoughts.

I'll pm you in regard to a situation involving EFI and how easy it was to resolve, and had the same arisen with carbies, could have been a prob.

Hey Randall, I think the ' grunt' situation can be overcome with the right prop. 4 blade from Solas did it for the big rig.

Cheers Phill

Randall
13-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Phil...just picked a solas prop up...14 pitch. What a difference!! My Honda now has "grunt". Yammys and Mercs will now have to be satisfied with 2nd and 3rd place!! ;D

Randall.

Glind
13-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi All,
The Yamaha 50 is different to the Yamaha 60 in that they have a different cubic capacity. All Yammies are carbed and the Mercs of the same equivalent are EFI whilst using Yamaha powerheads.
The Hondas have a slightly smaller cubic capacity and are 3 cylider units as opposed to 4 cylinder 4 carbed units in the Yamahas.
I own a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke, but in my opinion they are all good eg Yammie, Honda or Suzuki.
The deal will come down to who gives you the best service.
Tim

Lucky_Phill
13-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Yes Randall, the prop makes all the diff, and especially getting someome who KNOWS props.

Steve Evans knows his stuff.

Phill

Randall
15-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Phil, Steve was sooooo helpful and was happy to exchange props until I was happy with the one I have settled on.

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Solas to anyone.

Randall.

*Cant believe the difference stepping up a pitch size achieves.