PDA

View Full Version : Back-Up Motor

Mike_E
18-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi there! I have been following this excellent forum for some time now and have got myself a 5.2m fibreglass runabout with a 120 Jonno on the back.

I am looking to get out offshore (on a calm day) for a bit of fishing and am looking for any guidelines as to the best size back-up motor for this boat.

Any guidance guidance would be much appreciated. Cheers!

??? ???

jeffo
18-01-2004, 04:55 AM
welcome to the site mike.
in a 5.2 fibre glass boat id be looking to get offshore on just about any day! ;D that boat should be a top fishing platform offshore. as for an auxilary i honestly dont think many people mount them on their boats?! maybe im wrong? ??? you would be better off using that money to insure that your johno is in tip top running condition in my opinion :D
an extra engine on the back just takes up precious fishing space! ;D

bj
18-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Join the local V.M.R. as an associate, closest to where you will be fishing from,make sure the motor is in top condition and get yourself a V.H.F. radio and learn how to use it correctly.

Zeeke
18-01-2004, 06:53 AM
and make sure you get yourself a EPIRB or 2.. one mounted to the boat and a 2nd one you can put in a container with a spare set of flares and relective mirror incase you dont have time to grab the necessary items and can quickly grab the container (make sure its waterproof and can float)

Tim
p.s. a good VHF or 27meg Aerial is a must

NQCairns
18-01-2004, 11:28 AM
I am all for an aux, things can happen that no amount of planning can avoid, a backup motor has the advantage of being able to totally avoid the need to call for help or even in an end case activate an EPIRB. I certainly know of one instance where I wished very much for an Aux and another where it saved the boat and 3 people when nothing else would have. I think there was a couple of posts not long ago about a storm in the Vic where a backup engine would ahve come in handy. I would look in the 9 to 15hp range but a 6 or 7.5 etc would also do the job out of syd harbour. Keep an eye on weight ie some 15hp engines weigh the same as a 9hp they are the same engine. cheers nq

Lucky_Phill
18-01-2004, 12:28 PM
If anyone ever sees me with an aux motor on me boat, stop me and bitch slap me.

The above posts ( except for one ;) ) are right, VMR, safety gear and a good mechanic. The money you save will go towards a better sounder GPS units and or fishing gear.

Cheers Phill

blaze
18-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi all
I am with nqcains
I have all the required safty gear 2 way, epirb, paddles etc and also have a reliable and well serviced 70hp evinrude AND A WELL MAINTAINED AUXCILLY. Dont know how you guy fish there but if you are fishing a rocky out crop up close and ya main engine failed (maybe a blown fuse) you can call all you like and unless there is a boat right next to you you can very well end up on the rocks and if you have an auxcilly at least you can start it and get out of immediate danger. As for saving money toward a better sounder, gps etc that will not help your safty at all
SAFETY BEFORE ALL ELSE
cheers
blaze

Mike_E
19-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks very much guys, as expected an excellent range of replies and points of view. I agree that the safety gear and a well maintained engine is a pre-requisite and guess that the fitting of an auxilliary motor is a matter of choice. The other thing would be to take somebody with off-shore experience out with me for the first few trips - I'll have to work on finding that person. Cheers!

NQCairns
19-01-2004, 04:09 AM
If anyone ever sees me with an aux motor on me boat, stop me and bitch slap me.

Have to sneak one on overnight before you next trip out just for the fun of it ;D

Reserve the right to take you up on the invitation only if I catch you in a situation where a aux would have saved you putting others or crew out [smiley=helpa.gif] . cheers nq

Lucky_Phill
19-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Onya NQ ;D ;)

good points all round. again, personal choice !

Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
19-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Strange, don't see any AUX on the transom of the rig in the pic.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Phill ?

NQCairns
19-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Gawd it almost sinks when i go near an aft corner already any Aux would put me under for sure :o otherwise I would, one of the reasons I will only go offshore 90% of the time in this boat with another.
Probably sounded a bit raw what i wrote, but not meant in that vein. Personal choice the skipper is boss anyone who does not like the rules/setup etc can stay on shore no problem. Cheers nq

Lucky_Phill
19-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Gottcha ! ;)

cheers Phill

Jeremy
20-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Mike,

the best way to learn something new is to be shown by someone with plenty of experience and know how. I'd really reccommend joing a fishing club in your area. You should get the chance to crew on other peoples boats, as well as having others come on your boat. You might be shown some spots and given some tips on boating offshore. Learning from someone more experienced really shortens the learning curve.

Jeremy

littlejim
21-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Mike,

I'm at the other end of the scale to Phil. I have a fully serviced 70 HP evinrude that is molly coddled, but have used my auxiliary to get out of the poo on several occasions. Problems with fuel flow, electrical connections, hoses and engine bits don't always occur just before the service, but they always occur when when you are out on the water.

All the advice on flares, radio, epirb etc. I second wholeheartedly.
If you are thinking about an auxiliary, get one, you'll feel much more confident. I suspect Phil has the knowledge and skill to do a piston and ring change out on the water and would have sorted the problems I had out in a flash. I had to come home and work it out in the garage.

blaze
21-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi
adding to my ealier post , I was 200m from the boat ramp, firmly anchored, went to start my my motor and it backfired and wouldnt go, no probs, then the auxillary wouldnt bloody go and had to be towed home for the first time in 25 years of boating.
The 70hp had done the black box, and the 4hp had a fuel pump diaphram fail. The two motors had both been in for there annual service and check and both failures could not been forseen. so if i was 10km off shore i would have been a bit more of a problem than i was
cheers
blaze

Cloud_9
21-01-2004, 03:27 PM
like blaze been fishing in boats for years only been stranded once offshore, back when airsea recue didn't have GPS , lucky was good weather they could find their ass with a map.
they towed us down the face of a wave on the pin bar i was sh$TIN.

NEVER BEEN LET DOWN SINCE TOUCH WOOD. look after your engine and it with last a long time without trouble.

Cheers Cloud 9

ken4159
22-01-2004, 03:41 PM
yes i agree, look after your donk it will look after you (2 motors , double trobule)