PDA

View Full Version : 1992 25hp Johnson fuel/oil ratio

Slates
22-01-2004, 06:43 AM
G'day guys.
Just bought the above motor from Footscray Marine. I asked the blokes there what fuel oil ratio and they told me 50:1.
My mate has the same year in 70hp and his is 100:1.
The reason I'm asking is that it is idleing a little rough and sometimes wont at all (stalls at idle) and I thought it may need to be 100:1

Thanks in advance, NS

NQCairns
22-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi I have the exact same engine although it is the 30hp rated one. 50:1 is what you want, it might just need a decarbon to get it running smooth again. I think OMC in later years actually changed back from 100:1 to around 50/70:1 because of extra wear problems on the injected models, not totally sure on the details. Possibly your mate should consider adding a small amount of oil to the fuel in that boat, I would be.cheers nq

Slates
22-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks a bunch NQ.
50:1 is the message I'm getting so far.
I might try and up the idle a tad - hope it's that simple although it should've been right straight out of the shop in the first place!

NQCairns
22-01-2004, 09:31 AM
yeah they are good honest engines, Does it higher idle on the muffs without stalling and sneeze everynow and then esp on the muffs?There is also a little beastie called idle timing although not critical just upping the idle alone can cause minor extra tuning problems, take it back, or give it a decabon first if you believe it has been abused and not ever had one.cheers nq

Lucky_Phill
22-01-2004, 12:17 PM
50:1 always.

I ended up with the top of a piston attached to the spark plug, ( many years ago ) cause the idiot I bought the motor from told me 100:1. Maybe I'm the idiot for not checking, but we all gotta learn sometime.

Good to see you asking, and probably saved you a re-build.

Cheers Phill

Slates
23-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the reply Phil
sounds like an expensive motor that one!