PDA

View Full Version : haines 680sf

dazza
26-01-2004, 08:06 AM
hi all,
the fuel tank in our 92 model 680sf has sprung a leak.

i cannot believe they put the fuel tank in first then glass the floor. the only way to get the old tank out is to cut the floor up or cut the tank up. what a pain in the arse.

just spent most of today cutting the tank up.

when i emptied the existing fuel out of the tank it was floating, they don't even secure the tanks in the hull. no wonder it hs split, it would be jumping all over the place when half empty in a moderate sea.

i am fairly disapointed as you would recon haines would be a bit better than that.

are all glass boats like this? what a drama when the feul tank has problems.

hopefully will be back on the water before the mac's finnish their run
cheers
dazza

Heath
26-01-2004, 09:04 AM
I reckon boats have come a long way since 92. My cruisecraft's tank is secured under a flase floor for easy access if required [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

aido
26-01-2004, 01:16 PM
must just be your haines then,
my 30 something y.o. seafarer likewise has a
moulded tank compartment and floor cover.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dessaix/Image22.jpg

the old tank was badly corroded and needed replacing.
that 50mm pvc? fuel hose was a real bitch to fit between
the filler and tank neck. but doing it yourself has advantages,
i fitted a bonding lead between the filler and the tank :) .

aquarius
26-01-2004, 03:40 PM
My haines signature is a 1990 model and has the same tank setup as the last post.
Cheers Brent

skippa
27-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Yep,

My Haines (mid 80's) has a moulded area in the floor for the fuel tank with a carpeted false floor on top. A while back it decided to spring a leak, just a simple case of removing the tank. Sure glad I didn't have to cut anything to fix it.

But as usual it happened at a bad time, just berfore the annual Hervey Bay trip!!

Cheers,
Skippa 8)

searaider
27-01-2004, 06:24 AM
My Alison 195 Fisherman has a seperate fiberglass lid/cover over the tank .
It's Screwed down but dont think it would be to difficult to get to the tank .

Peter
Searaider 2

Patto
28-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Dazza, my little 99 haines has a floor covering that can be removed for inspection, i know because i had to replace my sender unit. looks like they learnt from their early bad design. does help you much though
Patto

aido
28-01-2004, 01:24 PM
i cannot believe they put the fuel tank in first then glass the floor. the only way to get the old tank out is to cut the floor up or cut the tank up. what a pain in the arse.

i didn't get it, how do you cut the tank up without first
getting access to it?
and how did you cut it up??

dazza
28-01-2004, 04:14 PM
hi,
there is an access hatch in the floor which allows access to the sender unit and fuel lies etc but the tank is too wide and long to fit out of the access hatch, should have taken a few pix.
we cut the tank up using an air powered saw after washing the tank out etc,
one consolation we can put in a smaller tank in preperation for when the boat eventually gets a new motor (4 stroke), better carting 200 litres around than 380litres- the guy we bought it off of many years ago must have been a bit padanoid about running out of fuel
cheers
dazza