PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone make any suggestions?

hat
01-02-2004, 07:46 AM
My deep cycle battery for my boat is flat & was wondering if anyone knows where I can take it to to have it recharged & roughly what it would cost. I took my mate & his son fishing last weekend & the son must have switched the key on without me knowing after we came off the water. The wife & I went to go fishing this morning at Somerset & had a flat battery. I can't afford to buy a dry cell charger so any assistance would be appreciated guys.
Thanks.
Steve

adrian
01-02-2004, 07:55 AM
one way is to get the motor running as this will charge the battery having said that a jump start maybe? not sure if it can be done i bought a battery charger from kmart and it does recharge the battery didn't cost too much or the car will also charge it again after putting the battery in your car you have to start the engine jump start or clutch start your car. a deep cycle will charge up using this way just go for a long drive 2 hrs or so

hope this helps

anzac

hat
01-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your suggestion anzac. A couple of guys suggested we have a go at starting it on the water but weren't sure if it would keep going out there. As for putting it in the car I didn't realise you could put these batteries in cars??
I have also been told charges for these particular batteries are a couple of hundred dollars which is why I am asking if anyone has one that will offer to charge it for me & I will pay them for it.
Steve

TimNQ
01-02-2004, 08:54 AM
You could put it in your car aslong as it fits and still able to be clamped down, otherwise it is unroadworthy. I thought you could charge those batterys up with a normal charger, i was told you could when i bought my deep cycle. Mine is due for a charge so i am thinking of just running my car in idle for an hour or so with the jump leads connected to the deep cycle and everything switched off like aircon lights etc. Im not sure if this will work but this is how i have been able to charge other car batterys without having to go for a long drive. If you have a charge meter then give this a go and see where its at after an hour or so.
Tim

aquarius
01-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Hat.......Battery World will charge that battery for you.....not sure what the cost will be though.
If its dead flat it will take a couple of days to recharge on a small battery charger.
I wouldn't personally put it in my car......They are not designed to start motors.
Not sure about charging it using the car alternater.
Cheers #Brent

nonibbles
01-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Sorry about digressing slightly from the thread but can you still use a service station to dispose of dead batteries?

hat
02-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am going to try trickle charging it on my regular car battery charger & see if that works if not I will give Battery World a call.
Thanks again.

Hat

basserman
02-02-2004, 11:54 AM
hat your normal charger should work
i have a 75 amp deep cycle and charge it all the time with my normal 10 amp charger
(the battiry is used for my electric motor so needs charging every time i use it)

Brett_Hoskin
02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Charge it with the trickle charger it will be OK. Also be ok to charge in the car. Don't worry too much about not supposed to start an engine with a deep cycle battery. If every crank reduces the number of charge cycles by 2 then you are only going to get a min of 398 cycles out of your battery instead of 400. Sulfation from water loss, undercharging, excessive temperatures or prolonged periods of non-use account for approximately 85% of the Deep Cycle battery failures.
All lead-acid batteries are perishable. During the normal discharge process, soft lead sulfate crystals are formed in the pores and on the surfaces of the positive and negative plates inside a lead-acid battery. When a battery is left in a discharged condition, is continually undercharged, excessive temperatures or the electrolyte level is below the top of the plates, some of the soft lead sulfate re-crystallize into hard lead sulfate. It cannot be reconverted during subsequent recharging. This creation of hard crystals is commonly called permanent "sulfation". It is the leading cause and accounts for approximately 85% of the premature deep cycle lead-acid battery failures. The longer sulfation occurs, the larger and harder the lead sulfate crystals become. The positive plates will turn a light brown and the negative plates will be dull, off white. These permanent crystals lessen a battery's capacity and ability to be recharged. Deep Cycle batteries that are typically used for short periods and then are stored for long periods where they slowly self discharge. A car or motorcycle starting battery is normally used several times a month, so permanent sulfation rarely becomes a problem unless it is unused or stored for long periods.

While a battery is in storage or not being used, the discharge is a consequence of parasitic load or natural self discharge. Parasitic load is the constant electrical load present on a battery while it is installed in a vehicle even when the ignition key is turned off. The load is from the continuous operation of electrical appliances, such as an emissions computer, clock, security system, maintenance of radio station presets, etc. While disconnecting the negative battery cable will eliminate the parasitic load, it has no affect on the natural self discharge of battery. Thus, permanent sulfation can be a huge problem for lead-acid batteries while sitting for long periods on a dealer's shelf, in a basement, cellar, barn or garage, or in a parked vehicle, especially in hot temperatures.