PDA

View Full Version : Boat Engine Worries

Zeeke
28-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Few Weeks ago while fishing with young Jeff ;) (i feel old heh, he's only couple of years younger then me) we were also showing Jeremy and Damons around maroochy river.. anyways, after setting them up with some livebait and pointing them towards some spots to try for mulloway at night, Jeff and i decided to call it a night, on the way back after spotting eudlo creek and not seeing any crabpots or boats i decided to get back up on the plane to miss any shallow sandbars.. anyways Jeff spotted a crabpot and instead of tangling the prop up in that bloody thing that was planted right in the middle of the main channel, i dropped the throttle fast to avoid hitting it, anyways, slowly motoring away, we both noticed the motor splurting and gargling a bit.. after about 10mins cruising at idle speed it stopped and seemed to be fine. on my next trip out 2 weeks later it was fine, but on our way back to the ramp, while on the plane the motor started gurgling again and lost almost all power.. after another 10mins of gurgling it was fine again.. since then we pulled the fuel filter out (big oil canister type one) and emptied that into a empty coke bottle.. half was fuel, half was water.. so we've cleaned that up, but on the next trip out it was buggered still after running.. we just put new NGK spark plugs in and havent taken the boat for a run yet.. but any ideas on what else i could do to fix the problem?? i wanna get the boat fixed before i head to bundy on the 7th

Tim

drevil
29-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Hey Tim

Where do you keep your boat? Is it under cover or outside? Is it possible that with all the rain and storms lately it keeps getting water in the tank or fuel lines somehow?

Zeeke
29-01-2004, 03:37 AM
kept under cover, has a stainless steel fuel tank with a breather each side of the boat.. the hose on the breathers are designed to stop things like water going up.. only to let air and gas out.. so its got me stumped

Tim

Brissyguy
29-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Hi Tim,

I had a lot of problems with water in the fuel a few years ago and found that the stainless tank was very susceptible to condensation in humid weather.
Seemed before every trip the fuel fiter (glass bowl) was full of water ggrrrrrrrr.
Someone told me to drain the tank then insulate it before puting back under the floor.
No more problems after that.

Cheers,
Rich

Zeeke
29-01-2004, 04:49 AM
alright.. i might have to pull the floors out and drain the tank and insulate it some how.. .. thanks for the info

Tim

merv
29-01-2004, 08:07 AM
TIM I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE CHANGED THE SPIN ON FILTERHAVE YOU CLEANED YOUR FILTER ON THE MOTOR.YOU MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE YOUR CARBYS (JETS)CLEANED THATS WHAT I HAD TO DO .GOOD LUCK WITH IT HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD HOL,AND CATCH PLENTY OF FISH [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]MERV

Zeeke
29-01-2004, 08:40 AM
cleaned both filters Merv, and put new spark plugs.. i think the problem might have been, its been over 2yrs since the motor has been serviced.. so new sparkys might help.. if not.. its being booked in for a service!

Tim

bungie
30-01-2004, 06:35 AM
There is a product on the market, dont know its name, that you add to your fuel and it mixes with the water and burns it up in the motor. Mate just did it to his boat
Water gone :)

Randall
30-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Tim, I suspect its got nothing to do with fuel...thoose old evinrudes can handle water in the fuel...just burns it into condensation.

My 35 hp rude had a faulty coil....a forty dollar part, and had me stumped for ages. Check continuity on each coil...you probably have a faulty one.

Another idea to investigate mate.

Randall.

bj
30-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Mate I would get that motor looked at pretty soon.I had a similar problem years ago. When you stopped as quick as you said there is a chance that pressure has forced water up the leg and into the power head.I'm no mechanic but you often see boats being launched by reversing the tow vehicle at a bit of speed and then planting the foot on the brake to slide the boat into the water this also can cause it.
Its not unlike having a portable motor laying down and having the powerhead lower than the leg if you know what I mean.It's bad luck if this is what happened as it is also only luck that it has not happened to others that pull the throttle back in an hurry for what ever reason I often have had to do it myself,but get that motor looked at mate.

basserman
30-01-2004, 05:12 PM
i had some thing on my 115 yamaha 2st had to get the injectors cleaned
so i would say you need injector/carbie cleaned and serviced so i would also get them to do that on your service
the water carries alot of muck with it so as it had go into your engine it has cloged everything up along it's way

so i would try that1 :(

Big_Kev
31-01-2004, 01:53 AM
TIMAYY if your fuel filter has had water in it replace it.
The paper element inside will be clogged for sure.
Cheers KEVAYY :) :) ::) :o

Zeeke
31-01-2004, 07:30 AM
lol.. KEVAY! heheh.. we replaced the old filter and put a new one on.. i only did it up hand tight.. now we are trying to take the new one off.. but its tighter then a butchers prick.. tried using a oill filter wrench and then a Baby Boa (rubber strap on a handle for doing stuff like this) and neither can undo it.. its absolutely stuck.. and its our only true way of seeing if theres still water in the fuel

Bungie, metho does the same thing half cup of metho in ur fuel tank will disolve the water in ur tank

Tim

dnej
31-01-2004, 07:53 AM
bj is spot on with his comments about water getting into the head in that manner. Try running some Shell Optimax fuel in your tank, that cleans thing up really well. You will need to clean your filters after that.
David

goodoo
31-01-2004, 02:24 PM
tim go to a merc dealer and get a can of quicksilver powertune give it a go if nothing else it will clean your fuel system and decoke the motor and follow instructions on the can it made a difference to my 20 merc and its 15 years old GOODOO

peterbo3
31-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Tim,
Ya gotta get the filter with the clear plastic bowl on the bottom. It has a tap in the base to allow you to drain out any water that has been collected. You are wasting money using a filter without a water trap. :o :o :o It is about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. :D :D

Zeeke
31-01-2004, 04:26 PM
alright pete, cheers for the info.. thats the plan.. cant get the old filter off at all.. and if i can see and pour water out easily.. then its being fitted!

Tim

Big_Kev
01-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Timmay it is good advice to apply a bit of grease to the rubber seal before installing the filter.
I have had to remove fiter assemblies, put them in a vice, and take to the thing with a hammer and chiesel to get em off.
Some filters can be bought that have a tap in the bottom to let out water but with the glass bowl you will be able to see the water.
Cheers Kevay.

Zeeke
01-02-2004, 04:57 AM
well ahead of ya there Kev, i always put vaseline or grease around around the rubber seal before putting on oil or fuel filters.. just dont know why this prick of a thing is so tight..

looked at the one with the glass bowl at the bottom.. but in the Whitworths catalogue it says "Not suitable for premix fuel" does that count me out.. seeing as my boat is a 2 stroke banger?

Tim

merv
01-02-2004, 09:51 AM
TIM i have a (RACOR)filter and i have pre mix 2 stroke ,make sure you mount it high,i drain mine off into a small jar every couple of trips that way you can tell the state of your fuel.i only change my filter every 12 months cost $57.00 [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Zeeke
01-02-2004, 01:47 PM
finally pulled the filter off, went to KB Auto and got a oil canister filter remover.. poured the contents into a empty coke bottle.. the mixture looks very dirty.. like a brownish colour... im pretty sure petrol has a blueish grey colour even with oil mixed in.. there is water in there as well... but not much.. nowhere near as much as last time we pulled the filter and replaced it with the new one (current) 1 week ago.. it was half n half fuel and water.. now its just 3 or 4 drops.. but the colour of the fuel is concerning..

Tim

Big_Kev
01-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Timay, pull out the tank and spoil the fuel.
Get as much out as you can and put in some metho to emulsify the water (about 5 litres), and dump it again. (you can mix the dumped metho with some beetroot juice if you are that way inclined)
Change the filter again.
Fill her up with clean fuel.
It would be best for you to fit a water collector type filter with a glass bowl. (can save a lot of drama's).
PS you may have some water in the fuel bowls of the carby's so a service may be a good thing.
Sorry for recomending that you may need to spend a lot of dollars.
Cheers Kevay.

Zeeke
01-02-2004, 02:16 PM
alot of dollars is something i dont have Kev.. ill pull the fuel tank out and clean it out.. and do a home service on it.. .. bugger :(

Tim

gruntahunter
01-02-2004, 02:16 PM
cheers kevay?

Big_Kev
01-02-2004, 02:30 PM
cheers kevay?

No worries Blondie.

mackmauler
01-02-2004, 03:15 PM
not worried about the engine, just you sheilas ??? dont forget to send an invite in the mail for the wedding, Jack can be Tims bridesmaid ;D

Zeeke
03-02-2004, 07:55 AM
welp, ive cleaned out the fuel tank, used the air compressor to clean out any blockages that could be in fuel line and breathers.. also cleaned out the tiny filter on the outboard.. and cleaned out the carbys.. not much more i can do at home.. hopefully going to take the boat for a run this arvo.. see if its fixed.. if it is.. then i can go over to putting new springs on the trailer.. got some 5 leaf 500kg springs for each side.. 1000kg all up.. should help since the old springs are badly rusted and sagging a bit

Tim

michael_Brewer
05-02-2004, 06:35 AM
hi all,
The 9.9 hp Jonno is for sale, and when she sells, i will get a 20-25hp. I'm 16 yrs old and really know shit all about motors!!! I'm really paranoid about the donk breakin down on me because I don't have any boatie family members or boatie mates to turn to if it spits the dummy when I'm out there. What's the best way to find out how to fix em, clean em, and do general maintenance on them? I'm happy to pay some one to show me how to do it. Are there courses for young innocent deadsh!ts like me, cause i really don't have a clue ay!!!
thanks.......but please don't hold my non-education about motors against me...........blame the education department. they just seem to be more focused on teaching us about Algebra and shakespeare ??? rather than how to fix engines and build mum new backsteps!!! cheers!!! Mick