PDA

View Full Version : Boating Regulations

Local_Guy
10-02-2004, 03:10 PM
anyone know where i can find the rules to what you must have in your boat when it's on the water. it will only be in creeks and withing 1km from land if i do decide to take it out.

is it a must that i have to have life jackets? is that about the only thing i need? do i need ores (spelling) at all.

anything else.

thanks

jeffo
10-02-2004, 03:14 PM
local bait and tackle shops are your best buddies ;D if they cant help you then try any boating outlet. there is different rules and requirements for different size boats and depends on where you will be fishing :D

Big_Muddie
10-02-2004, 03:54 PM
A good and basic guide is the Qld Recreational Boating Safety Handbook.

It's free and usually available at any marine dealer or Dept of Transport office.

grinder
10-02-2004, 05:10 PM
I think it is a must you wear your life jacket until you get some experience in handling your boat and also maybe a trip to local coast gaurd or rescue centre for some tips on boat handling and they will help you with all saftey requirements they would rather help you than return your body to shore

Safe boating

Grinder

Local_Guy
10-02-2004, 05:30 PM
yeah. i prolly shouldn't have metioned (but i forgot). it's only a 3.1m boat with a 4hp enigine.

whiteman
11-02-2004, 08:05 AM
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/maritime.nsf/index/safetyequipment

Walked down the beach on Saturday and came across a couple of guys stranded in the local creek (for Townsville people, Balgal Beach near Toomulla - Surveyor Creek) in a 10' tinny with dog and 5 crab pots and no safety gear - they got in earlier on the top tide when the wind was much lighter. It was blowing 20-25 knots and the creek was emptying out a large amount of fresh water at high speed with rapids into a solid swell. Of course their car was 3km south at a ramp across open water.

When "the captain" told me it was his 2nd run in a boat and was a bit nervous about tackling the bar and then the subsequent bashing back to the ramp, I looked around for the hidden cameras thinking this was a setup for reality TV.

I had things to do and had to leave so I gave them some good advice (don't try it, walk up the track to the Bruce Highway and see if someone can pick you up - they had a mobile) but I reckon they were determined to give the testosterone a workout.

They weren't there 2 hours later.

Local_Guy
11-02-2004, 10:46 AM
thanks. just what i wanted.