PDA

View Full Version : 400 hornet trophy

billy7
14-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Fellas just want to know what you think about the 4 metre hornet trophy are they as good as there cracked up to be.I am thinking of up grading from my 385 explorer trophy as it very sluggish with 3 people in it.
cheers billy

wildone13_au
14-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi billy i have a 400 hornet trophy with a fourty merc on it
i recomend you get yourself a 435 hornet trophy with the maximum amount of motor that you can put on it if you are carrying 3 people and if you dont put the largest motor on a hornet they just dont go anywhere they are a heavy boat but a very nice boat
mick

Barrymundi
15-02-2004, 02:16 AM
I have owned a 3.9 Hornet with a 45 Merc and 455 Hornet with a 70 Johno.

The Hornets need extra horsepower and the Prop tuned. The boys at Solas do a great job tuning the prop to suit the Hornet.

3 people, fishing gear, food drinks, bait tackle, fish etc... I support Mick, minimum of a 435 with maximum Horsepower. Not sure if you can still buy these with the Tiller steer, I think the 435 has that silly pod on the back, so it really is a 3.9 with a pod. I am not a fan of the pods.

These boats are very stable in the water with heaps of room. My 455 with the 70HP was great on the water, not overly fast, about 28knots, plenty fast enough for creeks and Hinchinbrook

I have a mate who is selling his Hornet, it is a 435 or 455 with a Honda 4Stroke. He just purchased one of those Hornets from the Bream Series on TV. If you want his details let me know.

Second hand ones are hard to find. Most people hang onto them unless they crack them. In my opinion they only crack because they are used outside their design limits. I have been at the Reef of Lucinda and a bloke pulled up in a 435 Tiller steer.

Drop me a message if you need more info

billy7
15-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks fellas the 400 hornet i am looking at has a 40hp 4 stroke yamaha on it the next size up is a 4.45 metre i really didnt want to go that big may be i am better off looking at a steesl.
cheers billy