PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 4 stroke

bay_firey
15-02-2004, 01:22 PM
G'day
Pick up my new boat, Polycraft 4.55 Front Runner with 50hp 4st Suzuki on Tueday.
I was talking to the dealer today and he sugested adding 1/2 litre of 2 st oil to the first 50lt of fuel for running in.
Has anybody got any thoughts on this as it just seems a bit funny to me

gruntahunter
15-02-2004, 01:51 PM
He,s absolutely correct mate.You should always add oil to the first 2 tanks of fuel....whether 2 stroke or 4.
Lubrication is the key to success in everry situation if u know wat i mean lol.
That bit of oil will help the tightness of a new engine mate and stop damage

bay_firey
15-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for that grunta
I have had reason to doubt a few things the dealer has said lately so thought I would just check
You have put my mind at ease

Surfwx
16-02-2004, 04:28 AM
I’d really be having a rethink about adding oil to the fuel in any of the new breed of efi 4 strokes.

It can play havoc with the sensors, at best making the motor run like crap, at worst frying them and voiding your warranty.

Lubrication - that’s what the sumps for.

What does the manual say??

bay_firey
16-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Haven't got the manual yet.
Will have a good read before I do anything on Tuesday

Big_Kev
16-02-2004, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't do it.
The correct proceedure will be in the manual and I would stick with that.
Cheers Kev.

clutter
16-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't do it unless the manual says. Ring Suzuki to find out what they say. By adding oil to the fuel you will only help the bore glaze up and will end up burning oil. A new engine needs friction so that the rings and bore bed in together. I used to be an engine reconditioner and we used to recommend a straight 30 grade oil for the first 1000 k's rather than a friction modified oil for that same reason. I have never heard of people putting a litre of oil or two in their brand new 4-stroke cars so why in an outboard.

Cheers, Clutter

aido
16-02-2004, 11:44 PM
thats a good point clutter,
unless it's too environmentaly unfreindly, though i figure
you'd only be burning 1 litre of oil per 1,000 km. can't imagine
that being too upsetting in a car. never heard of it though.
besides burning oil, the only other thing accomplished is extra
lube for the inlet valve and/or injector, thats of dubious value mate.
i'd like to know what your owners book recommends?
2 strokes obviously have much to gain from an extra 100:1 oil.
this extra oil acts exactly on the working parts, bearings + rings.
though i think running a bit rich is really a better option.
heard some you beaut motors have that programmed into the
engine computer software ??? i wish :)
i think the object being to keep the temps a bit lower.
never race a new motor is the best advise and 2 strokes recommend
varying the throttle for maybe 10 hrs, maybe to prevent the glazing
that you mention clutter :-/ don't some 4 strokes come supposedly
requiring no run in period? i'd still keep away from the max rpms area.

good luck with it bayfirey.

disclaimer,
this information may only be
worth what you paid for it.

Jeremy
17-02-2004, 03:56 AM
Bay_firey,

why are you having doubts about the dealer? What has happened? You don't have to tell us the name of the dealer.

There are several others on this board (myself included) who have had bad experiences with dealers. Shop around until you find someone you think is honest and reliable, even if they aren't the closest to you.

Jeremy

Escapee
17-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. I have a Suzuki 140 four stroke on the back of my 575 Outsider and nobody ever suggested to me that i should add oil to the fuel! I'm 99% sure the manual doesn't recommend it either.

If you don't have the manual i would suggest contacting John Haines at Haines Signature Boats and ask him. John Haines has the licence from Suzuki to distribute their motors in Australia.

Mad_Barry
17-02-2004, 10:31 AM
# #I have never heard of people putting a litre of oil or two in their brand new 4-stroke cars so why in an outboard.

Cheers, #Clutter

Very good point. This whole 4 stroke issue on boats gets blown out of proportion at times. They are the same type of 4 stroke engine as your regular car or motorbike. Just because they've been tipped on their end & bolted to an outboard leg doesn't mean the outboard manufacturers have also re invented the wheel. (so to speak,, or should that saying be reinvent the prop, if used in relation to boats ? #;D)

basserman
17-02-2004, 11:36 AM
well my mate has also recently had the pleasure of being a owner to a 4.1 poly (just finished the fitout will post pics soon :D) with the 50 hp suzuki and no where did it say to add fule to the first tank and infact sayed running 2st fuel can lead to injector clogs and gage errors
would defintly rethink adding oil
our poly and 50 goes like the clappers and we would of already put over 30 hours on the engine and countless hours fishing
love the boat and the motor is trully scarie I LOVE IT! ;D

Big_Kev
17-02-2004, 02:37 PM
The manual is bound to have a section in regards to running in located in the operation and maintanence manual.
The Japs usually call it break in period.

Cheers Kev.

bay_firey
17-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the input.
I will have the manual tuesday when I get the whole rig
Hey thats tomorrow, woohooooo
As for the dealer, Up until I paid the deposit, you would have had to go a long way to find a more devoted, focused, helpful bloke.
I had money to burn and could only get 2 dealers to spend any time with me, discussing what I wanted, now and in the future, my budget, intended use and loction.
But man what a difference after I had made a decision and paid the deposit, totaly opposite. Even to the point where out and out lies have been told to me (not a big deal really as it was a really insignificant question) but couldn't believe he stood there and lied.
Any way all will be finnished with tomorrow.
And I spent my "extras money"(life jackets, EPIRB, ski tube bait board etc etc) close to $1000 elswhere.

Big_Kev
17-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Well be sure not to give him the rest of the money till you have a good look at that boat and make sure it is what you wanted.
Spend at least half an hour checking it out.
Cheers Kev.

bubble
17-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Under NO circumstances should you add two-stroke oil to the fuel. You will find that the Owners Manual says nothing about adding oil. Sounds like your dealer needs a lesson in 4 strokes.....I would also check what oil he has topped up the sump with.
Bubble.

bay_firey
17-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Gave the rig a good going over last Saturday and all seems well, but will go over it with a fine toothed comb tomorrow.
As for the sump Bubble, the dealer does not have his own mechanic, this is "subcontracted" to a mechanic up the road, who I have great confidence in and respect for.

basserman
18-02-2004, 07:18 AM
firey i can tell you now you will love the boat and motor great package! goes like the clappers too
hell my mate can even tow me on a knee board behind it and i'm like 100 kgs

bay_firey
20-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Well the rig is home
was gonna run her in on tuesday when i picked her up (without oil)
But Guess what
Too Much Wind, Too Much Sea, and not enough water at the ramp.
Gotta wait till the 28/29 now to get her in the water
Bummer

bay_firey
20-02-2004, 03:19 PM
For those who may be interested there are some pics to be found at the My Boat Page (www.mchap.com/boat.htm)