PDA

View Full Version : quintrex versus stessl

billy7
20-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi just wondering with is best the quintrex range of boats or the stessl.
cheers billy

craigie
20-02-2004, 02:48 PM
You should include Trailcraft in this equation as well.

lordy
20-02-2004, 02:52 PM
What is it for? Size, budget etc

Brissyguy
21-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Dont forget SeaJay...
Best damn open tinny I have ever ridden in...

Cheers,
Rich.

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Seajay for strength, Quinnie for finish and ride, Stessl for price,

? Phill ?

dazza
21-02-2004, 11:52 AM
hi billy,
i would be seriously thinking about a plate boat as opposed to a pressed alloy.
pressed alloy cracks eventually, plate will never crack (within reason)
my bro-in-law has a 455 fisher. the build quality is top class and the ride and functionalty of the hull is fantastic. it has a very soft dry ride
check out www.fisherboats.com.au

basserman
21-02-2004, 12:06 PM
i really dislike quintrex boats!
i was put off them after prercasing my 385 explorer trophy
i'm sure they don't have quilty control at quintrex as after i brought it and after takeing the boat for a few run and noticing about 40l of water for just a few hours on the water i filled the hull up with water and low and behold there was a section of the welding that wasn't even done! took it back to the dealer who told me as it was cristmas i had to wait till after the school holidays befor he would even look at it and told me i should of booked it in! (might of if it wasn't just a few days old!) so after quitely and tactifuly telling him where to go i let my fingers do the walking and got a marin welder to fix it for me
$120 later no hole but swore i would never touch a quinnie again
Must admit but it is a good boat now i fixed a few of the problems (welding, bowed wood floor, seats)
::)

DaneCross
21-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Love my Quintrex bayhunter, nice dry boat, handles uncomfortable conditions nicely. Can't speak for the other boats though :-/
DC

whiteman
21-02-2004, 12:24 PM
My Quinnie 530 Freestyler has only 1 flaw, the fuel tank is too small. Been out to the islands (25km) on a 5m Stessl and is was very rough by comparison however I know it was a lot cheaper and lighter.

Bowser
21-02-2004, 01:30 PM
For value I don't think you can beat Stessco in open boats. Generally use a thicker grade of aluminium then similar sized boats for substantially less money.

jeffo
21-02-2004, 01:45 PM
i LOVE george's (team mongo) 560 topender (quintrex) it is one of the most versatile boats i have ever come across! from bass to billfish it can do it all comfortably.
as phil said for strength its hard to beat a seajay, thay are also a big boat for their length, my mates 4.1 is a hell of a lot deeper and wider than my 4.1 quitrex.

BUT with out doubt my favorite boat would have to be robs 4.4m ocean cylinder, for offshore bay and river it is the ultimate! in the future (hopefully near future ;D) i will get myself a 4.4 or 5.2m OC.

beatle
21-02-2004, 03:47 PM
I think a lot of our big name brands that have been around for a long time have priced themselves out of the market and it would pay to look at some of the lesser known brands who build a boat of better quality than the old established brands for much less cost. Believe me I have purchased a lot of boats in my time and I believe some of the cheaper lesser known brands are equal to if not better than the old established brands.

billy7
23-02-2004, 05:04 AM
i have owned a 4.4m stessl it was a great boat only thing it was very heavy i then brought a 3.85 explorer trophy it also is a good boat but i miss the room of the 4.4 stessl so i am now in the process of buying a 4.55 hornet trophey thanks for all the feedback
billy

davo
23-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I was going to get a 475 Quinny topender but after looking at the tinny and tackle show all the boat builders wanted to do was cover ply with carpet. I went with the Fisher plate alloy 4.8m side console and at the end there was very little price difference. Quinnies are too dear. My father went down the same track down sizing from a 5.5m Sportfish. He has a 4.5 AMM bowrider. Both are fully custom plate boats and will out last any pressed offering. ( look at my posting Re Savage Osprey Pro).