PDA

View Full Version : Stacer 460 Sunmaster Sports

Marlik
24-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I saw this boat today and I am thinking of buying one.
But before that I need some feedback of the quality, ride
and the durability of stacer aluminum boats. This boat is
hooked up with 50 HP ELPTO Mercury. Also this will be my
first boat so If possible I need to know about Mercury
engines as well.

Thanks

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-02-2004, 02:28 PM
welcome to the boards marlik,

i have a stacer nomad 475 with #Merc bought new 18 months back. It has the standard hull & pod as opposed to the new "millenium shape".

My only complaints would be ..

the sounder mounting plate should be lower on the transom as close to the chines as possible & offset at an angle that reflects a normal transom. The high ride of the boat gets ventilation around the probe even when extended as far down as it can go on its bracket.

I've had it in some very poor bay conditions 15-20kts #& been happy with its performance (although a bit wet). In serious side chop it really could do some tabs to hold trim but I simply tack my course - the same could be said for most pressed aluminiums though.

It tends to ventilate when put into a hard turn at speed (talking 40km/hr+) a function of the extra flotation provided by the pod me thinks.

I like the extra space the standard hull gives under deck. It seems the millenium hull sacrifices a fair bit of volume for a drier more comfy ride.

I am very happy with it as a whole & much prefer it set up compared to the Quintrex model (made by Telwater as well ). Nothing has failed on it. There is one very fine crack barely 1 cm long in a weld holding the gunwhale in place - its not a load bearing weld & over half the rest of the welds length is fine, so it doesn't worry me.

The merc is great. I run it on optimax. Nothing say there. I couldn't warrant going blue band cause I'm kind on my gear & by my reckoning don't do enough running. Havn't regretted that decision (yet).

hope this helps.

chris