PDA

View Full Version : 15 to 25hp outboards,,which one??

paz
24-02-2004, 07:14 PM
well i may well be on the lookout for an outboard very soon(second hand tiller),,but,,,what one,,am looking for something in the 15 to 25hp range,,hopefully something reasonably newish,,say '95 onwards..am not limiting myself to any one breed,,,will make my mind up once i have read everyones views...problem is the handbrake(wife) has given me a very strict budget as to what i can spend(meaning bugger all,,lol)....like to hear your view on all available donks,,what you own,,what you have had,,what your mate has,,you get what i mean...thanks in advance
paz ;D
p.s....forgot to mention,,,it would be going on a tinny,,,,12 footer or so,,and only ever be doing river work(no big blue here :'()..

Big_Kev
25-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Start with the trading post and see what you can get for your money.
Cheers Kev.

aquarius
25-02-2004, 04:23 AM
My father-in-law has a 15hp johnson sea horse on his 12ft tinny.......2 people on board this motor pushes the boat along no problem at all.......I reckon if possible avoid small motors that have had little use and are just sitting around in sheds.......bought such a motor few years back.......only been used as a tender for big boat........water veins had some corrosion and eventually the head cracked.......a real shame because that motor was in perfect condition on the outside.
Cheers Brent

paz
25-02-2004, 07:48 AM
good advice brent,,,something i havnt really thought about with a motor that has been sitting for a while...
whats everyone's thoughts on tohatsu???lot of guys i have spoken to have told me to keep away from them...but gave no reason as to why ???..have done a bit of research on them(net),,,not a lot of bad news,,maybe a little industrial,,but then im not to worried about that.....just their price seems right ;)...
paz

krazyfisher
25-02-2004, 09:10 AM
I have had 4 i think tohatsu's and never had a problem

basserman
25-02-2004, 12:55 PM
tohatsu is vertualy made by yamaha they are very good strong motors well worth a look