PDA

View Full Version : Who Pays for 10 HR (run-in) Serivce ???

craigie
19-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Just thought I should pop this question now, rather than get a rude shock in the near future.
I take delivery of my new donk (& boat ;D) this week and plan to do the mandatory 10 hour run-in period over the next week or two before taking the motor back for it's first 'Check-up'.
Who pays the bill for that first 10hr service ???
Is it common practice for the dealer to wear the cost of this as part of the purchase price of the motor, or am I about to get slugged another $500 straight after I have just 'Coughed-up' to buy the thing ???

I know I could just ring the dealer and find out but I thought I might check with the 'knowledgeable' boaties out there to see how they fared with their 10 hr service ?

Do different brands have different policies on this topic ???

Thanks,

Craig.

bay_firey
19-02-2004, 03:44 PM
I think you will find that unless previously negotiated you will be up for the service.
I picked up my new rig yesterday and I have to pay for the first service

krazyfisher
19-02-2004, 04:23 PM
yep you will have to pay unless you have worked something else out but check around for service price I just got my 60hp 2/s done and it cost only $125 with a $25 fuel filter

grinder
19-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I have just updated from a 70 tohatsu to a 90 and all the service is drop the oil from the bottom check plugs,timming and carbies total cost of about a slab but I have a great dealer I have also heard of some real horror stories regarding dealers if you buy a new motor then dealer should be good to you for spending your hard ernt bucks if not we should have a black list (not sure how that would work) but first service costs to a dealer is bugger all should be free considering they make somewhere in the range of 4000 per sale
I cant see 20 bucks worth of time and plugs will break them

grinder

bay_firey
19-02-2004, 04:52 PM
The Suzi has a 10hr run in period but the first service is not until 20hrs.
Replace Engine Oil, Replace Gear Oil, Replace Engine Oil Filter.
The oil filter is the only item that needs to be done by a mechanic, as per manual.
The rig should only need to go to the mech every 100 hrs to have the "Propellar and Pin inspected" and "Nuts and Bolts Tightened" and every 200 hrs for an oil filter

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2004, 04:56 PM
On the Honda, the 10hr was gratis, and then every 100hrs after that.

I think good will should see ya 10hr done for nics.

It's only to run over the thing with a spanner, basically !

Phill

Big_Kev
19-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Cmon Craigie you should know better than to ask questions like is my boat gonna cost me more money than I thought.
We can all vouch for that.LOL
Cheers Kev

basserman
20-02-2004, 06:27 AM
i think with boating getting more and more popular the first service should be like a car and done for free! (i know now i am dreaming)

craigie
20-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks guy's for your feedback so far.

Appears to be mixed feelings and experiences on this one :-/

I'm told with our outboards here at work, the first service is always a freebee, but that is not always the case in the real world.

Phill, I should have got a Honda from your dealer ;D.

Kev, Your dead right, they are a money pit from day one and so be it for the greatest pastime in the world :D.

Might be too late for me to negotiate now, I guess if they sting me once, I'll shop around for future servicing.

Thanks again and still keen to hear other experiences,

Craig.

craigie
24-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Just an update on this one.

Yes I'm paying for it !!!!

First service is in 20 hrs (run in period for motor is only 2 hrs). I'm told it's not an expensive service compared to 100hr etc.

Well done to the guy's that got the first one as a freebie ;)

Cheers Craig.

basserman
24-02-2004, 03:17 PM
what brand motor is it??? 20 hour i would be thinking a suziki
mate just had his 20 hour done cost $180
on the taco there is a light that comes on to let you know it is due only problem is they had to get the suziki rep in to turn it off as they sure didn't know anything about it

craigie
24-02-2004, 03:30 PM
G'day Basserman,

The Motor is a Merc (115 hp Optimax). Not sure about any lights on mine.
On my gauges it had a clock that showed how long I needed to run the motor until it was "Broken in". The dealer (Coorparoo Marine) told me to bring it back for the service at 20 hrs or 3 months, which ever came first.
I think it will be back for the service well before the the 3 months ;D ;D

Cheers Craig.

basserman
24-02-2004, 03:41 PM
good to see the first service is getting longer now but sure would be nice for the dealer to pick up the tab just like on cars ::)

Cloud_9
25-02-2004, 07:20 AM
i don't know what car u bought but i had to pay for the 1st service on my new car.
i'm signing up for another new car this month and will have to pay for the first service on this 1 aswell.
you get nothing for free . and you would be silly to think so.

Cherrs Cloud 9

Cloud_9
25-02-2004, 07:21 AM
PS how does the 115 optimax go, and on what boat is it attached.

Cheers Cloud 9

agnes_jack
25-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Got the first service free on the landcruiser :D

Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila
25-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Think my first service was completely free, and labour for services is free for 3 years on my 100 series. Just pay parts. They had a recall on the spare tyre cable which was replaced completely free and (with constant nagging) they just stuck a new chip in to get a better gear change on the auto (a bit reluctant to change down) all free.

Pretty sure the first service on my 20hp mercury was free also.
Guess it depends on what terms you set when you buy it, and how much you pay for it to start with.
Cheers
Jeff

craigie
25-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Cloud 9,

The 115 Opti is bolted to a 'Cyclone540' (5.4m side console Fibreglass) that has a very deep-V hull (22 degree).

Have only done 2 hrs running so far, less than a week old :o :o, so still a bit early to give a complete run down on Performance and economy, but here is the stats so far -

. Idle is very quiet (similar to 4 strokes)
. Fumes are non exsistant (similar to 4 stroke)
. Fuel consumption on idle is .7 litres per hr
. idle is 650 rpm, perfect trolling speed of Bass, flathead etc

On 4000 revs the boat sits on 26 miles per hr (fuel cons 15 l/p/h), I gave her a short burst at 4800 revs and it hit 33 Miles per hr.
When the motor is fully run in the dealer is quoting 45 - 50 m/p/h at WOT (5700 REVS).

Will give a more comprehensive run down (Boating Chat) in the near future.
First impressions are that this is one Awesome motor.

Cheers
Craigie.

basserman
25-02-2004, 12:58 PM
my first service on my hilux, avolon, lancer, charade atually all my new cars have had they first service free!
thought it was dealer policiy???
might try to bargain when i get my new 115hp 4st and try to have the first service throghn in

Hutcho
25-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I know this is a fishing site, but for what it's worth, I got my first service at 100klms on a Nissan 200SX for free too. (I thought all new cars do??) Just had to take it back to the place that i bought it (Strathpine) so that warranty would last.

Anyhow...back to boating chat.....!

bay_firey
25-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Basserman
It is explained in the manual how to reset the alrms on the suzuki
Remove the kill switch clip, and then pull the switch 5 times, i think, ishould find the manual and check, but it is in there

basserman
26-02-2004, 05:26 AM
ok didn't know that but more suprising is the macanices didn't ether :o

bay_firey
26-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Basserman
Page 18 of the owners manual
Turn the ignition key to "ON"
Pull out emerg stop switch plate
Pull the emerg stop switch knob 3 times in 10 secs
A beep will be heard to confirm success

Cloud_9
26-02-2004, 03:30 PM
i think i'll have to do some better dealings with the new rodeo never had any free service on anything ive bought new before. >:( >:( >:( >:(thanks for info

Cherrs Cloud 9