PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter

dazza
25-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Can anyone tell me what aftermarket oil filter to put on a
Honda 40hp 4 stroke. the model is BF40A and it is a 2001.
I am sick of paying a fortune for genuine, when there are cheaper filters around of the same quality, ie Ryco.
Rang the Ryco customer service line. The bloke said they don't have a listing. Someone must make an aftermarket filter for them. After all it is just a bloody motorcycle engine tiped on its side.
cheers
dazza

basserman
25-02-2004, 06:13 AM
try ringing a few marin dealers that deal with honda

Big_Kev
25-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Dazza, Try a Honda motor cycle dealer.
They will have the genuine one and probably cheaper.
Cheers Kev

Big_Kev
25-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Otherwise what is the genuine part number to see if it can be cross referenced.

bay_firey
25-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Dazza
You could try ringing Balchins Radiator and Filter Service in Bundaberg. They sell filters for just about everything

dazza
26-02-2004, 04:37 AM
thanks guy's
i think the motorcyle shop will be the go,
genuine are a bloody rip off. they are about $10 - 15 bucks more- only difference is a bit of blue paint and a honda written on it
cheers
dazza

Big_Kev
26-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Can be Darren.
But there is a lot of things that can make one filter better than another.
In saying that the genuine ones are overpriced for sure and sometimes you will even find that they are made here by an aftermarket manufacturer and sold as genuine.
Cheers Kev.

dazza
27-02-2004, 04:43 AM
hi kev,
bit of a rip off i recon. i don't mind paying for quality, but i doubt that the genuine filters are twice as good as say a ryco.
the boat ones are dearer than the motorcycle ones but are exactly the same thing. . i am going into town today and will pick up a motorcycle filter. will let you know how i get on
cheers
dazza

Big_Kev
27-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Its like anyting Darren the unknowing can be easily fooled into parting with more than they should be.
The only sure fire way to tell the quality of a filter is to cut it up and have a look at what is inside the thing.
And even then you would have to know what you are looking at.
But I would have to think that the cheapest filter would be cheap for a reason and the genuine filters are usualy nothing over the top as well.
But the motor cycle filter will be the way to go, the boat shops usualy stick the price up for the unknowing I think.
Cheers Kev.