PDA

View Full Version : Aliminium and sikaflexs

blaze
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi all
Can any body tell me if there is an adverse reaction over time betwwen these to materials as I would like to use sikaflexs on my new aliminium tank
cheers
blaze

PG
03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
I've never had a problem with it but make sure you get the right type of sikaflex. There's a few different types so ask first.
From what I hear, it sticks like shit to a blanket !

goodoo
03-03-2004, 04:57 PM
as long as it is not acetic like silastic it should be ok if your tank is fuel sica may disolve

Big_Kev
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Blaze in the words of the great Pauline, can you please explain.
What is the tank used for?
What will you do with the Sikaflex?
If it is an alluminium tank and is new why don't you weld it right the first time?
Cheers Kev RAFLMAO

bj
04-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Mate have a read on the package it should have if it is compatable with aluminium or not.Did a small job not long ago and was in the same situation and read a few packages and eventually found what I wanted and it was compatable with aluminium.

Kerry
04-03-2004, 04:26 AM
Horses for courses regardless of it being silastic, sikaflex or whatever, with alloy it must be a neutral cure and not acid cure. Not all sikaflex or silastic are suitable so read the label.

Also one needs to determine if the job only requires a sealant or adhesive and sealant.

Similar with polycarbonates, which requires a sealant specifically for polycarbonate.

Cheers, Kerry.

blaze
04-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi all
Kev, its a brand new fuel tank, when i gave the measurments i left it about 5mm unsize , compared to the place it fits, the sikaflexs will be placed under the tank in a few spots and a bead run right around so there is nil movement.
Been in touch with the company and the curing process of sikaflexs marine grade is fine on alliminium
thanks to all comments
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
04-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Ahhhh. Now me got Savy.
Cheers Kev.

dogart
04-03-2004, 09:11 PM
blaze,

what did you get, sikaflex 291 or 292?
291 is for adhesive & sealing for non to min stress
292 is for " " " for max stress

I've just bought a tube of 291 for my transducer mounting points
and bungs plus a coulple of other bits.

cheers
wolf

blaze
05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
HI Wolf
I am using 291 because i want to stick the tank to the base plate it sits on, Just a few places, then i just filled in the small gap around the tank, it wasnt going to move before sikaflexs, thats my insurance
cheers
blaze