PDA

View Full Version : Trailor Boat Winch

fishyfingers
06-03-2004, 07:32 AM
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Due to a bad back caused by a recent car accident I bought a Super Cheap boat winch. This however is super extreeeeeemely slowwww & need a way to speed it up. I am looking for any ideas as I use boat ramps where there are strong currents, like at Burrum Heads & north where a quick retrievel is neccessary & also busy ramps where other boaties don't have time to boil the billy while I retrieve the QE11(3.95 BERMUDA DISCOVERY), which is not a very heavy boat.

Thanx Dave

dnej
06-03-2004, 08:42 AM
I have one of these. I dont consider 3 minutes to load my boat,an 18 foot aluminium cuddy, a long time to wait.
I did , however change the switch to an on off switch, so I can switch on the power & go to the boat to control any movement. The switch was purchased from an electronics place, and fitted straight in the old slot.
I am also going to extend the length of the contol wire, so it reaches the winch hook on point.
My boat weighs about 750 kg all up.
Hope this helps. suggest you time it to confirm my comments. Beats my brothers hand winch, and he has a good one.
David

Kerry
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Probably gets a lot of its pulling capacity due to the fact that it is slow.

Trying to make it faster, which probably isn't possible might overload it and stuff it completely. At least with a fast winch one can always slow it down with a pully block or 2 but there's not much one can do if it's slow from the start, probably by design/need.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fed
07-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Have a look and see if the cable spool is filled to the maximum capacity.
If it's not, you may be able to under shot it with something and get some more speed.
If you double the diameter it will double the speed.
Be careful pulling it to bits as some of these things sort of self destruct when you disassemble them.
With your size boat & a free rolling trailer you won't have a power problem.

Fed

bungie
07-03-2004, 08:59 AM
If its more a problem of getting the boat onto the trailer on your own, try retrievermate. I get my 17ft fibreglass with an old 150 blue band on it up on to the trailer on my own in most conditions, strong wind and cross currents

fishyfingers
07-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for some good & fast advice. Yes my winch does take around 3 minutes & find this a long time compared to how long it used to take with the hand winch.

melbdan
07-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi i have a home made power winch using a small 4 cylinder starter moter and it pulls my 15 foot glass boat up in about 20 sec it works great.

NQCairns
07-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Melbdan, need pics and a diagram of your device, also any hints/tips. Sounds like a worthy project ;D.nq

basserman
08-03-2004, 06:54 PM
If its more a problem of getting the boat onto the trailer on your own, try retrievermate. I get my 17ft fibreglass with an old 150 blue band on it up on to the trailer on my own in most conditions, strong wind and cross currents
i couldn't agree more
i have retriveermate on both my trailers
385 explorer trophy and 18' southwind with v4 yamaha and i can winch both up without a drama in almost any condition by my self
but the trailer under the southwind is fairly new and now close to state of the art with full swing sprung rollers and retrivermate strap winch and everything beefed up
and well the other is only a small tinny trailer
one thing i have found is a GOOD trailer is worth its weight in gold as it make the job so much easyer! ;D
as for the electric winch i wouldn't worrie about 3 mins or so to get your boat on it bugs me more those blokes that back there boats down then get them ready while you wait!
i think most blokes are understanding and don't worrie about how long it takes after all it takes us all a bit to get the boats back on! :D

melbdan
09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Here is a photo of the power winch, the top pulley pulls out by hand as it is in the top pic so that u can pull the strap out then u just push it back in two lock the two cogs its also got a spring fitted in the shaft so it can hold pressure when its under load.The stater motor is off a new 4 cyl car but not sure what make or model it is i have removed the spring that pushes the cog out when u put power 2 it and put a small pulley on it any more questions just ask and ill try and help u Dan.

fishfinder
11-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Great looking setup. Can you tell me the size of the wires to feed the starter motor? I guess they would need to be fairly heavy.
Cheers!

melbdan
11-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi fishfinder the wires are 10mm power cable with forklift terminals dan.