PDA

View Full Version : new 25hp prices

paz
12-03-2004, 01:39 PM
well im in the market for a brand new 25 horse,,tiller steer,,2 stroke,,either long or short shaft....have got some prices from around here,,,,would like everyones opinion on to expensive,,,or maybe where i can get something cheaper...
*mercury(american version)-----------$3400.00
*yamaha-----------------------------$3400.00
*johnson-----------------------------$3300.00
*tohatsu-----------------------------$3260.00
im heading to newcastle in 2 weeks,,,,anyone know of a place i can call there for prices...especially keen on getting a tohatsu...
paz

goodoo
12-03-2004, 03:31 PM
motofarm just the other side [south] of raymond terrace has a large marine dealer try them other wis its around swansee or lake mack

basserman
12-03-2004, 04:35 PM
proble could get my amte at port macquarie to do a better deal on the tohatsu
his name is matt hollis ph is 02 65833349 tell him shannon told you to call but if thats to much out of the way try terrice boating at raymond terrice thay are one of the bigger dealers around north of sydney
but i would pick the merc from the usa i have one of those 2st 25s on the back of my 385 explorer and it is fully decked out with every peice of equipment you could think of and it still pushes along nicly ;D
i just think they are great little motors and out perform the other brands

Big_Kev
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
With prices that close I would be more in the way of thinking about the after sales service.
Like as in get it from the dealer who is close and offers good service. ;D ;D ;D
Cheers Kev.

paz
12-03-2004, 07:24 PM
thanks for the tips guys.....its amazing when you actually go into looking for a motor and you find out your 25 merc(sea pro i think) is actually made by tohatsu....makes ya wonder huh..
sort of not to worried about buying here in town and after sale service,,,,most of them dont really have service to start with :-/,,if ya get me.....is why im looking out of town....
paz

DR
13-03-2004, 09:42 AM
the Merc/Tohatsu thing, i have been told the Mercs are made by Tohatsu but, they use Merc specs which is apparently a different (better) grade of alloy etc. i believe the quality of the finish is better on the Merc, does this apply to the rest of the motor.

who knows?

mikeD
14-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Try Sorro,s outboard services (02-4328 4201) at lisarow on the central coast.
just ask for the cash selling price you may get a nice suprise if you are contemplating the tohatsu purchase.

grinder
14-03-2004, 02:22 PM
I think I can get you a 30hp tohatsu for that price give me a call

I have a mate with tohatsu dearlership and has 2 on display

Smithy
15-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Don't stuff around and just source the cheapest Merc or Mariner you can. Once you get used to the gear shift in the tiller handle you can't go back to anything other configuration. Other things which make them better are the steering tension lever, throttle tension lever, kill switch in the end of the tiller (handy to have you thumb over this when working in rough country), lock down mechanism (locks in neutrel and reverse (stops motor coming up) but is free swinging in forward (in case you hit something)), good prime and choke setup, good shallow water system, pretty quiet for a 2-stroke, very smooth for a 2-stroke. Negatives are they don't have the bottom end of the OMC (500cc to 400cc) and they aren't twin carby like the Yammie but all of their power comes in the top end and they like to rev out. The Yammie is lighter and a good motor but doesn't have the features of the Merc/Mariners. Don't touch the OMCs. The design of them must be approaching 40 years old.

If you can't tell I own a Merc and it will be 9 years old at Easter. Best thing I ever bought.

mikeD
18-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Pleased to be of help there paz the owner of sorro,s really knows
his stuff.
Cheers Mick..