PDA

View Full Version : Pod on Haines Hunter V16R????

boatboy50
31-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Has anyone done this conversion?
What did it perform like?
How did you do it? Any comments?
Regards
Darren

NQCairns
31-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Darren, I am far from an authority on these but in the last 12 months have read everything I could find out about them. The bigger the boat the better also for this mod.

A pod depending on what type you want can be postive, neutral or negative buoyancy with a full hull extension a part hull extension or none. If the right choice is made the performance gains are great.

I will be adding a Bracket like the one below because I have raised the transome to full height. If you are looking for straight performance modification then setback aka a #Bracket or jackplate suits most hulls and would suit yours as long as the total setback was kept in check.

In my situation my hull may want to porpoise after the bracket goes on ( I dont think yours will). There are also definite advantages - ability to plane at a greatly reduced speed, #lower fuel consumption, a higher top end, extra internal room and the newly increased transom height will to me make up for any future fine tuning problems ten fold. What do you want out of your 16r? Those hulls were crackers straight out of the box.nq

striker1
01-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi Darren,
Have recently redone the whole transom/cockpit of my 600C.
As I had some rot in the original transom I decided to get it repaired, and ended up completely gutting the whole cockpit, down to and including stringers.
Given this was happening, I also decided to remove the engine well/rear seat moulding, and have a full height transom built. This was done and I then added an aluminium pod.
The result is fantastic, a much more user (fishing)friendly and neater cockpit.
With the pod being at a hull extension type, it travels like a larger boat than it is, no porpoising whatsoever, and planes at a lower speed than previous.
I had the job done professionally, so wasn't really cheap, but the result is well worth the money, time and effort.
Check out my avatar, and if you require any more photos/info just let me know.
cheers
Peter

boatboy50
02-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.
I am just weighing up whether i should rebuild to the previous set up, or change to have a pod. The floor and transom arrangement have to be changed, but the transom is still solid.
I would probs opt for a full depth or close pod, and i know the performance of the original hull is superb, so whether i should change that i am uncertain about.
How much did the conversion cost for the 600c. I know its bigger, but a v16 will still almost cost just as much, probs about 75% You can pm me if you like.
Why did you chosse alloy for the pod and not glass? Who did the work? Can you recommend them? Any info would be great.
Regards
Darren

striker1
02-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Darren,
As I said earlier the work wasn't cheap, but also remember that I had the whole of the cockpit floor, side pockets and strigers replaced as well as the transom rebuilt to full height with lockable shelving for batteries and oil bottle etc.
$4300 for the pod, painted and fitted.
$4000 for the rebuild and glass work.
Went aluminium for no particular reason other than after talking to a few guys it seemed the best medium to use for the job.
The guys who did the work are in South East Melbourne which isn't going to help you, but any good boat builder would be able to do the job, as well as the pod in glass, or would certainly be able to recommend someone who could do it in aluminium.
cheers
Peter