PDA

View Full Version : New boat - help me set it up

joeT
29-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Picked up my new boat yesterday :D and went for a run today in the brisbane river. Very smooth and stable compared to my old allycraft 3.75.

She's a Brooker 4.1, extruded sidedecks, 30hp yammie, rails, anchor well, full floor, side pockets, bimini, all up just over $7k.

I'm looking for some ideas how to set it up to be the ideal fishing vessel. Its just the basic hull at the moment. Looking to get some rod holders and nav lights, then a battery setup, radio, GPS, sounder etc.

Any ideas, tips, hints are appreciated.

Also, should I do something to the trailer to make it more rustproof, since its new. Do I just soak it with 'fishoil' or something?

Cheers

joeT
29-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Another pic :)

coasty
30-03-2004, 05:05 PM
i spray my trailer with lanolin spray. works a treat. been 7 years and no rust that i can see

basserman
30-03-2004, 05:25 PM
go to the expens of getting good trailer lights ;)

joeT
30-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Where would I get/what's the best place to get lanolin spray from?

basserman
30-03-2004, 07:32 PM
marine shop but you would be better to just go to a hardwear shop they should have it

Jeremy
31-03-2004, 03:25 AM
I'd be putting some of the stainless tube type in the transom corners pointing straight out the back. Maybe another two of these a third way up along the sides pointing straight out to the sides. I also like the clip-lock type which are multi-adjustable in any direction. Have a good look at these as there are a few types around, some which work better then others.

Do you want a live bait tank?

If you are good with ply, I'd be making a casting deck between the front seat and the foredeck. Put a hatch in it and you have some extra storage. You can also make a battery box and switch panel mount out of the ply.

Best idea is to have a look at some other boats at boat ramps or boat shows to get ideas on what you like and how they have done it.

Have fun

Jeremy

paz
31-03-2004, 05:33 AM
mate im doin the same as you now,,,depends on what sort of fishing you are doing though,,,mines all river work(bait and some lure hucking)..bigest thing for me is to have somewhere for my rods out of harms and my feets way,,im setting it up so along each side just under the gunnel rail i'll get 4 rods each side..2 facing forward,,2 facing back...plus about 6 or 8 rod holders(chasing them now) positioned around the boat...using cheap office chairs to make a couple of swivel seats...front casting deck is getting a hatch cut into it so i can get to the stuff easier under it..over the tank and stuff at the back im putting a shelf over it(cutting board etc)...but the best thing is,,im cutting a tackle box into each thwart..these would have to be the best improvement i think you can do to a boat,,able to keep torch,,tools,,beer ::) etc always in the boat..and to make up for the foam that you take out of the seat,,,you place it under the floor....
paz 8)

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 06:16 AM
You can get good rodholder for around $70.00 they will mount either on your rails or on a flat surface - I got them from Whitmores Marine at Minyama (near Mooloolaba)

big_george
03-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi paz.
Interested in seeing the finished product mate.
PM.l when you get her finished mate.
regards george/BC.

paz
03-04-2004, 05:35 PM
not a prob mate,,,im in dubbo too,,,can swing around some time.....
paz