PDA

View Full Version : TINNIE

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 03:59 AM
I have a 3.9 tinnie with a 25 mercury on the back - I was thinking of getting one of those motor hydrofoil thingos that
bold onto the motor to get me up on the plane quicker -
Are these an advantage or not

Appreciate some advise

thanks
Dan

drevil
31-03-2004, 04:18 AM
I would have thought a 25 on the back of a 3.8 tinnie would have no problems getting it up on the plane quickly.

propdinger
31-03-2004, 04:49 AM
they usually help you to keep on the plane at slower speeds and get you alittle more quickly onto the plane all comes down to how much weight you carry and size of boat etc. i had a 3.5mtr with a 9.9 and it done nothing but i have a 5.2mtr with a 60 and it works well

cheers
jeff

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Yeah Jeff,

It's fine when I'm on my own but when you get 2 or 3 people in the boat with all the gear - that's where I need it

thanks

Dan_Muir
31-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Forgot to ask, Jeff. I believe you can buy 2 piece fins and also 1 piece - what would you go for?

thanks again
Dan

paz
31-03-2004, 08:54 AM
i have seen a variety of different ones,,the "whale tail"(2 peice plastic)..pressed stainless and on the weekend a pressed alloy(easy to make),,all different shapes,,all on tinnies...would be keen to know what are thought to be the best as well....
paz

Commodore
31-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Dan, I have a 3.9m Quinnie with a 25 on the back, installed a 2 piece fin, made huge difference at slower speed and fully loaded as previously mentioned, also better on the juice. Also found that when motor trimed in, when by myself, motor does tend to dig in and you've got hang on in a bit of chop.
Matt

Big_Kev
31-03-2004, 03:44 PM
These things are best used for boats that are under powered.
The 25 should be more than enough for that boat.
If you need to put on a foil when packed up and trying to get on the plane then you are overloading the boat.
These things are also known to cause cracking of the leg and can cause handling problems. :)
Cheers Kev.

basserman
31-03-2004, 04:31 PM
i have stuck one on the back of my 385 explorer trophy as stated above i have trouble (not as quick as i would like) on getting on the plane when fully loaded with 2 or more lure fishos in it and also i used to cavatate alot when by myself
i installed LZ trims to the merc 25 and haven't looked back they work a treat and desinged for small donks

basserman
31-03-2004, 04:33 PM
the boat is really a BIG small boat
i would love to get a 455 hornet but this is truly the next best thing! ;D
with the trims on now i have lost a bit of speed but gained a quicker plane and able to carrie a load better and also gained better grip on the water when by myself ;D

beatle
01-04-2004, 02:48 AM
I would suggest if you were to put a foil on your boat the ONE PIECE Permatrim brand is the way to go they are an excellent product and they make a foil specifically for each brand/type of motor. I have heard of disasterous results of two piece foils breaking or falling off at speed. Do you really think you need one on that rig?-Beatle

SNAFU
03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
i have the same foils as bassermans and they are great(4.2 seajay dinghy with 3 cyl 40 tohatsu tiller ) gets on plane quick and stays on plain at low speed as well as handeling like it is on a rail, it is more responsive on tiller steer so not as much "steering" reqd for same effort plus they are cheap which is one of my favourite word.though i have plenty of power i recomend them as you get a better ride all round.
SNAFU

basserman
03-04-2004, 05:38 PM
as for the strengh well i have had them on for over a year now and there are no cracks no slipage the nuts haven't loosend and they can take my weight (i use them as step to get in the boat after a swim on the hot days) and i weight 110kg :o
they are truly great ;D

mackmauler
03-04-2004, 05:42 PM
I have one of the 2 piece ones on the boat and it suits that boat, it appears they dont suit every boat! in 3 years it hasnt failed and dam ive tried hard to sink that boat ;D