PDA

View Full Version : Open boats / tinnies

Billo
28-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I notice there is a lot of favouritism to certain brands of tinnies and open boats ....especially when it comes to open water fishing.

Having looked at alsmot every tinny available on the commercial / retail market , i have come down to just a couple to pick from , and will be ordering in a couple of weeks.

I am interested to see the way everyone else sways , but i think i have a good idea reading through a lot of the comments on them from the last few months....so take a pick
thinking of open water / Bay fishing in mind.

mackmauler
28-03-2004, 06:17 PM
What about a plastic boat billo? :o there has been a lot of talk about how great these things are. ;D seriously they dont look to bad in the 4m sort of sizes.

beatle
29-03-2004, 03:35 AM
What about the Bluefin range especially the 4.5m. models -The Warrior[open tiller steer] The Predator[Side console] The Barracuda[Side Console with full pod]. This range are all plate alum. They are all well made and super strong and are much cheaper and of better quality than some of the brands listed in your poll.- Beatle.

jeffo
29-03-2004, 03:57 AM
you know which one i like timbo! that sea jay 435 sp looks a treat... and at a bloody good price IMO.. thats where my money would go if i had any to spend ::)

Billo
29-03-2004, 07:35 AM
G'day Beatle , i know the ones your talking about .
I was actually looking at a Viking at the show .
It was actually identical to a Stessl Truck design .
3mm right through , identical hulls HEAPS of ribbing , super tough .available through Mr T's Tinnies.
They just don't seem as widely known or available in smaller tinnies ...but your right .good strong boats .
4.5 m avilable for around 12,500 in a tiller steer .

For under 10,000 though...tiller steer, i have to say the lads have pushed me to liking the Seajay's ..one i have my eye on is a 435 SP .....but i am VERY tempted to moving up to a Truck .. ( or Blue fin Viking )

Big_Kev
29-03-2004, 07:59 AM
I would go for the Sea Jay out of that lot.
Cheers Kev. :)

Kev_McC
30-03-2004, 03:13 AM
I recently went through the same exercise, looking for the most versatile tinny I could get - lure/fly from freshwater rivers to close reefs. After much shopping around I bought a quintrex 450 Top Ender, and I'm very happy with it. It's all that they're supposed to be, and is huge for a 4.5m boat.
Sure, you can pick up other hulls a little cheaper, but if you fit them them out to the same spec levels the prices finish up very similar. I read ads for many boats that seemed very cheap, but after examining the details and discussing with dealers you find out that many shortcuts or less than ideal spec levels are included in that low price. If you're after the more basic fit-out or are into DIY then any of the boats you mention will make you happy.
Have a look at the TABS range, they sell at all levels of fit-out and can customise. I was very impressed with them.
cheers

Blue_Escape
30-03-2004, 06:48 AM
I'd have to say Sea Jay. I've had a 4.55m Escape [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]for about 5 years now and have found it great. The 'Deep Vee' hull is very seaworthy and whilst shopping around I found the level of fit-out and build quality to be best value for money compared to others.

John

Brissyguy
30-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Billo,

I had a 4.6 Seajay for 3 years and would swear by them.
Mine had a tiller steer 40hp Yamaha and left the competitors for dead in ride, handling and performance.
Most notable offshore sojourns included Shallow Tempest and Cal Wide, naturally on good days.
But even when the afternoon seabreeze kept bigger boats at home, were got home safely.

The finish is second to none and any customising you could ever want can be taken care of at the factory.

Some Bas*#@d decided they wanted it more than me and made off with it one night after breaking into my garage.
I bought mine through S/Corner marine and believe they are the main distributors in Brissy.

Cheers,
Rich.

JB
30-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Sh#!t that sucks rich, i'm going home to put another chain on the trailcraft!! ;)

Ricky_Corbett
30-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I've just recently brought an Ally Craft 410 Scout with a 40 Yamaha on it and I do mainly Estuary fishing, but I took it out to Lion Island last weekend. And it handled it with no worries at all. I picked mine up pretty cheap($13 000) from Blakes at Mulgrave, I've got a top speed of 65kmh. So I would recommend Ally Craft.

Billo
30-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Cheers for the replies fellas....pretty much the way i figured ..mostly Seajay closely by Quintrex and bits and pieces .
I have done all the searching and now i am just pricing .

For the Seajay i am looking at a 435 or 455 SP.
Full floor with aphoulstered pedastool seats / under floor live bait tank and elctric start 40hp with trim and tilt , nav lights , trailer and rego's....looking at about $11,500 for the 435 or $12,500 for the 455 at the moment from Stones Corner marine .

I will get replies for quotes tomorrow for the Quintrex Dory's . The 445 and the 460 , same again with full floor, electric start 40 , plumbed tank and pedastool seats .and also include wider side decks
Also a Stessl Truck 435 , with a 40 or 50hp electric start same set out again .probably looking at around 1500 - 2K more

I am also going to have a chat to a few builders and see what can be done . but for my first boat i am really unsure of what i am getting myself into , so am a bit unsure wether it will be the right track to go down.

I believe the above will cover the need , just a matter of comparing with as many others as possible while the rates stay as they are !

Any thoughts to the electric start motor being an advancement on the standard ??? There is about $1,300 differnce between the 2 in 2 stroke
To go to a 40hp 4stroke with gas tilt, it's about $1,800 more then a standard 2 , and for a 4stroke electric tilt, about $2,500 more then the standard 2 stroke pull start .

Getting close now !!!!!!!! How Exciting !!!!

grinder
30-03-2004, 03:29 PM
I too went through the wondering which way to go in the tinnie as there are so many choices I ended up buying a 5.3 stessl truck centre console powered by 90 hp tohatsu and had the soft tail transom fitted
I have had the boat in some real heavy seas ( we dont get much else in bass straight) and the boat has performed better than other brands of larger size.
we use the boat for upto 80 kms off shore and it performs as well or better than any other boat that has come fishing with us and it seems most of the pros in this area are choosing the truck also maybe take a look at what the pros are using in your area.
I can tell you for a fact stessl build a good boat (customer service is a bit second rate) but the boats are good.

Hope this has helped you in some way

Grinder

Billo
30-03-2004, 03:52 PM
cheers Grinder .

The Truck definately caught my eye as being a hell of a strong boat .
5.3 is a bit big for where i can put it , but the 4.3 / 4.5 are within reach , and i will definately not draw them off the cards .

All the other tinnies i have been second guessing myself on the strengths and need reassuarance , but that one is obviously up to the challenge .
As i said , the quote will be in tomorrow on what i want ,...see what they offer .
If its within reason ...then it's a serious contender !

grinder
30-03-2004, 04:43 PM
before you decide make sure you have a look at the transom on the truck as I feel the standard transom is far too low that is why I went for the soft tail that gives you the same height all around the boat and havnt had a drop of water in the boad even backing down on a heavey sea

Billo
31-03-2004, 05:47 AM
Grinder , how does the truck do in breaking seas ???
I have a bar crossing inbetween North stradbroke and Moreton island .
I am not confident , and would probably only go through it in the best of days wehere there is no swell ....how does it do down there ?

grinder
31-03-2004, 06:28 AM
I try to avoid such seas but I have been caught it seems to have no trouble on any sea I would suggest you go for the soft tail if you have a bar to cross it is like a pod as a bar is no place to make a mistake and if one does come up your ginger it is most unlike to wet the carpet also with the trak rail system I have come back from the shelf in a following sea with prob 5 to 6 meter rollers she surfs down them and no sign of broching the only thing I can pick with the boat is when in a choppy sea with white caps you will get a mist spray comming in over the back of the boat as it seems to suck in over the stern but a good water proof coat and pants fixes that if you get a chance you are most welcome to come down for a test ride oh last thought this months trailer boat has a boat test on a 5.2 trophy that is the same config as my boat except it has a hi tensol hull worth a read

Grinder

davo
03-04-2004, 05:21 AM
You can have all the pressed offerings. I'll stick with my 4.8m Fisher plate alloy. No ply floors, self draining deck, excellent ride etc... and last for decades and a not much different in cost to a pressed boat.

davo
03-04-2004, 05:21 AM
You can have all the pressed offerings. I'll stick with my 4.8m Fisher plate alloy. No ply floors, self draining deck, excellent ride etc... and last for decades and a not much different in cost to a pressed boat.

grinder
03-04-2004, 07:23 PM
billo this is what stessl call a soft tail