PDA

View Full Version : Blaze's Project nearing completion

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Hi all
First off I would like to thank all those that have shown an interest in this project and my loving wife who wonders what i look like. This is day 27 of blood seat and tears and would only recommend a mad man attempt this, there is a lot of pain involved. I dont think I have had many nights of more than 4 hours sleep.
This Pic is of my niece, she has naming rights
when I thought about a name for the project, I thought of all the usual names and the love for boat and niece, well it had to be
MAKARTHA ANN

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:25 AM
some of the old pics again just to remind my self as much as any thing else, as to what was achieved

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:26 AM
now to where we are now

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:28 AM
what she was like on the out side

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:29 AM
a poor pic of now

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:31 AM
looking at the old transom from outside

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:32 AM
whats she's like now

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:36 AM
1 more, more later

blaze
22-03-2004, 04:44 AM
I am about to go and test run the merc (I hope), then the launch
things left to do
Bow Rail
Anchor well hatch cover
Battery Hatch cover
cabin door
anchor light
vhf (only 27 at the moment)
radio area
plump in infloor fuel tank with filter
modify trailer to drive on
reg trailer
all the costs have been kept and when i add the rest to the spread sheet I will post them to
am i excited YES
am i aprehensive BLOODY OATH
rock on high tide, dont wanta find bottom with this one
The WAVE DANCER was sold yesterday and relieve the financial pressure
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
22-03-2004, 05:09 AM
I see something shiny on the horizon skipper.
I think it is the light at the end of the tunnel.
Looks great Blaze.
Cheers Kev. ;D

bay_firey
22-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Blaze
Job well done, been a lot of hard work and love put into her.
Was considering something similar with my old rig, but chickened out and sold her.
Good luck with the trials

blaze
22-03-2004, 05:47 AM
minor update
the merc fired first up and sounds sweet, some of the aprehension gone

jethro6641
22-03-2004, 06:17 AM
Blaze,

Looks greta mate, well done for taking it on.

By the way has Andrew had the the 225 going yet?

Cheers,

Jamie ;D

blaze
22-03-2004, 06:42 AM
hi jamie
no andrew is waiting to take it to our local o/board mech to give it a complete service etc, looks good sitting on the back though. I will get a pic in the next day or so, nearly feeling human again
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
22-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Really good stuff Blaze [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] you deserve some quality time with her now after all the running around, paint, dust, thinners, power tools, acetone, resin, mekp etc, etc ect 8) The white topside really sets it off. Good luck with the maiden voyage.nq

propdinger
22-03-2004, 12:11 PM
bloody great job blaze looks sweet, all that hard work has payed off
hope she gives you plenty of years truoble free

cheers
jeff

blaze
22-03-2004, 12:26 PM
well this is the first time this boat has been near tassie water, i think it give a bit of a shiver as i backed down the ramp.
did a total of 48.7km, 27km on the first 20l of fuel (probable a litre left in tank). 5000 rpm see 60.9 kph, cruising nicely at 3000 revs. thrown into a tight turn at 3000 she holds the track well and does not cavitate at all. sounder reading well at 30kph (but the bloody thing has started freezing ? anybody). need to take time to trim motor or you get a rooster tale off the transducer (still clear picture, maybe to low, but its the cleanest its been so will probable leave at least for a while.
cheers
blaze

blaze
22-03-2004, 12:28 PM
this is when it shivered

blaze
22-03-2004, 12:44 PM
another

bay_firey
22-03-2004, 12:47 PM
She looks sweet sitting on the water
A job well done

blaze
22-03-2004, 12:47 PM
looking astern
the water was glassed out

blaze
22-03-2004, 12:49 PM
makartha navigating

jocool
23-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Good stuff Blaze! You got a nice lookin ramp down there! 8)

nonibbles
24-03-2004, 05:36 AM
The reward looks well and truly worth it. You've done some good work there Blaze. Time to relax, now.

jaybee
24-03-2004, 09:48 AM
well done blaze and looking good, cant wait to see the first photos of the reds coming over the side.
cheers
Joe.

blaze
24-03-2004, 02:04 PM
hi all
you think you are nearly done, then you , remember the o/board well drain hasnt been fitted, rod holders, seat pedistals etc and then find a pin hole in the bottom in the place they removed the jet pickup from, drip a total of 15ml of water, when ground out i found a small cavity in the glass, after a good grind to the last 600mm of the bottom i also found 1 more suspect spot. so it was pull out the gear again and after a good inspection it now has 4 more layers of mat and 1 layer of woven roven, hope to complete that tomorrow,
completion is so close yet so far
thanks for the positive feed back
cheers
blaze
ps buffalo you will need to get the boat floatin mate, aint you up in all that rain, remember you will need to take 2 of whatever species you decide to take LOL

ba229
25-03-2004, 05:50 AM
2 women in bikinis and 2 pallets of beer. then sit back and say bring on the rain :-)

blaze
25-03-2004, 10:09 AM
thats a picture of lust if i ever see one
cheers
blaze

blaze
27-03-2004, 03:23 PM
this is a list of the costs to date, few more jobs to go, they can wait for a while, bow rail, small bene top, jobs to be done soon are anchor well hatch, hatch for battery box
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
28-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Funny how it all seems to add up Blaze. I don't think you could ever estimate properly how much you will spend on a boat fitout. I have kept all of my receipts along the was and can't see getting out for under $25k, thats with a new motor admittedly and for the cost of the hull and trailer. All should be in pretty much as new condition on completion so it will be value for money for the size I hope. The job satisfaction will be worth it. I have three weeks off starting in a few days so I hope to get a bit more done. Only trouble will be haveing to take the tribe away for the holidays.

The weather here has been dry for the last couple of days so my excuse will have to change :)

Are you going to make your own bow rails etc or can you buy them?

blaze
28-03-2004, 10:28 AM
hi buffalo
nice to see you back on again and must be good to be getting a bit of good weather.
I am underside wether I will build them myself (have all the gear, just will have to get gas and ali wire for mig) or at this point in time I may be able to barter all the ali work (bow rail, rocket launcher and a carry rack on the front deck) for a sign package for a new marine shop that may be opening. not in a hurry at this point, just want to relax and enjoy for a while, first big trip tomorrow, about 100km return, weather permitting
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
28-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Holy heck the trailer rego is a bit steep.
Looks great for the money Blaze old boy.
Wishing you the very best for the maiden voyage to the battle field.
Good to hear from you again Buff, it seems like you go undercover from time to time.
Cheers Kev. ;)

lordy
28-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Blaze, have you got any tips for redoing the transom? My project boat has a wet/rotten transom, still solid but we don't like it being wet and we are going to tear it out and redo it.

blaze
28-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi Lordy
if you look at some pics in the first pages of this post or the one back a bit called ID a boat now a project, I have taken pics all the way through. I believe the easiest way is to remove the outboard well and the inside skin and some of the floor, that way you get to check condition of stringers and you also tie the new transom to the stringers, have a look at all my pics and if you have any further thoughts or questions feel free to PM me
best of luck
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
29-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Blaze, I hope you have a good run and that new merc serves you well. I have three weeks off starting tomorrow so I haop to make a bit of progress up here.

Kev I do shift work with the job and quite often have blocks of 8 - 9 days so I am a bit erratic sometimes. I have not been near thebuffalo for over a week. I am psyching myself up for the final leg. Watch this space.......

Cheers

Buff ;)

blaze
29-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi Buffalo
Dont rush her mate, take it easy on the run home
The best layed plans go astray and my planned outing today was blown out by gusts from the nor east of upto 40knots and the bass strait being what it is the boat was pushed back in the shed by 8.00 am, you get that though
cheers
blaze

lordy
29-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Lordy
if you look at some pics in the first pages of this post or the one back a bit called ID a boat now a project, I have taken pics all the way through. I believe the easiest way is to remove the outboard well and the inside skin and some of the floor, that way you get to check condition of stringers and you also tie the new transom to the stringers, have a look at all my pics and if you have any further thoughts or questions feel free to PM me
best of luck
cheers
blaze

I've been following the thread. We actually used that as a guide before we started. We removed the well and the inside back wall down the floor level (about 10-15 from the hull to the floor. We are left with the fibreglass outer shell in solid condition.

Do you think we have to go into the floor? It might pay to cut an oberservation hole and put one of those round plugs in it (about 15cm wide if you know the ones). The question is on off bracing and strength for the transom, the bottom 10cm or so below the floor we wanted to leave alone if we could get away with it.

blaze
30-03-2004, 03:38 AM
hi lordy
i would cut back into the floof at least a foot, you need to take out all the timber of the old transom and when replace, it needs to tie into the stringers, post some pics and will see if i can make any sugestions
cheers
blaze
ps it is also a well known fact, that once you have completed the project, the weather cuts up and ya cant get on the water

lordy
30-03-2004, 05:24 AM
OK. I have yet to get a digital so pics are out for now. Next Saturday we start again. I'll let you know how things work out.

Probably won't be finished for 3 or so months. So it should be good weather around the Brisbane area for the next few months. ;D

Thebuffalo
30-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Blaze, I thought a little bit of wind would have been good to test the old girl out, don't you trust your handy work ;)

Jokes aside, I have seen what those sailors get into on TV down that way and can imagine how viscious the weather can probably get. I like the flat stuff myself.

blaze
30-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Buffalo
like the flat stuff to, she will get a good working out in the future, the trip was to a location i have been to but a total different way, up a bloody channel you can drive over at low tide (done enough prop damage to the old girl to last a life time). After I made my call and cancelled a heap of others did also (just needed someone not to be a hero). the guys that made the trip the day before and stayed over got a bloody floggin on the way home at first light (thats when we were leavin) and then things only got worse
cheers
blaze

blaze
31-03-2004, 02:47 PM
went for a good run today, she performed well in moderate seas and a 20 knot wind blowing off the land, only one pic of the sunrise
cheers
blaze

blaze
31-03-2004, 02:52 PM
the stanley nut is the big lump in the picture, 1 of our many tourist icons and know about world wide, maybe even in queensland
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
31-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Nah never heard of it Blaze.
There are only two nuts that I know about.LOL
Looks like a nice morning but.
I always say that when the sun is coming up is the best time of the day.
Cheers Kev. :D ;D

Thebuffalo
01-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Sorry Blaze but I haven't heard of your nut before, Kev's either (thank God). I have struck a bit of a problem. Am trying to decide weather or not to put a solid roof on you know who. 1/3 of the way along..... I was thinking on a couple of sections of pipe, about three inch, a bit similar to the sort with the rocket launchers set up on the top and then use some 2mm sheet to fill it in. It would be all steel, too top heavy? It;s just that I like the idea of being able to mount stuff off the ceiling, map's, radios and the like. I haven't put the final coat on her yet, trying to decide on red or blue. The (car is red) problem being I will want to weld it before I paint. Dad say's quote "just bloody finish the thing and it can be next years project". The wife say's "put the roof on it" I think it would be a pretty easy job, just worried about the wieght up top. I remember Kev saying earlier (yes Kev I do listen) about the fuel tanks being higher up instead of under the floor that he thought the roll would be a problem........ I have a canvas canopy for it now, it's getting on though. :-/

What to do....

Thebuffalo

Big_Kev
01-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Buff remember that the roof will shake like shit when in the chop.
It will need to be well mounted and the lighter the better.
Alloy is the go, made from piping.
weld on some mounts so you can make something up later from the plans in your head and paint her up.
Just remember to make it high enough for a big bloke.
6 foot 6 at least, that way I won't have to bend down to much.
Cheers Kev. :o :o

blaze
01-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi Buffalo
I think kev's on the money with the weld on mounts and then finish the paint job.
Put the canvas on as a tempary thing and give the girl a swim and you will see a clearer picture of what you require for a cover/rod holders
Read your question an hour ago and did not have a brain wave at all until kev posted his reply

bugman
02-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Blaze,

You'de better stop putting up all those great phtos of Tassie mate - what with the cray pics and those beautiful bright blue sunny days your posting - every man and his dog will be down there.

You're obviously based at Smithton - I'm coming down again this Chrissy so I'll make sure to look you up this time and get a run in that nice looking rig of yours.

What's the cray fishing like up that way in close or do you have to keep going around the corner for the good crays. Just imagine that nice gel coat with big gouges out if it as you lift that bloody heavy craypot over the side full of 120mm lovely red fish.

Bugman

blaze
02-04-2004, 07:06 AM
weather permitting (and maybe work) will be going across to the petrel islands this weekend, will take the craypot (its been asking for a swim for a while now) and the bags to put the mutton birds in. then if all goes to plan will be burleying a place called the sounds for a big toothy, second thoughts, it is only weather permiting
cheers
blaze

Oldyella
02-04-2004, 12:21 PM
$2,800 for that 115 Merc is a STEAL... She is a great looking Motor. Looks early '90's oil injected ???

blaze
02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Its a 1990 model and oil injected, the great thing is its only done 200hrs, the same outboard mechanic (I know this guy well) has serviced it from new and told me it has only a 200hrs on it, the best outboard i have owned, but time will tell
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
04-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Blaze, Kev, have decided in my limited wisdom that I will put the roof on, however I will design it so that it will have a canvas roof instead of the steel. That should stop the vibration Kev. It's taken me that long now I may as well do it. How long did it take to build the Titanic? :(

Big_Kev
04-04-2004, 11:59 AM
How long did it take to build the Titanic? :(

A lot longer than it took to sink it.LOL

Thebuffalo
06-04-2004, 06:39 AM
It'll be ready by Christmas.....

blaze
06-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Take your time buffalo and get her right, dont let kev try and rush ya.
Can you just clarify for me WHAT CHRISTMAS
LOL
still gotta do my cabin door, bow rail, bimini cover, color sounder in that order, probable about $3500 more, run outa money at the moment, so I use her like she is. In the fishin reports there is a pic of her hi and dry, deckie went to sllep on the beach
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
06-04-2004, 09:35 AM
I will take your advice. There is only three or four days serious work left on it, beleive it or not, and it will be right for the motor to go on. Have been having a little bit of trouble in that department.. The motor is at the shop and the deposit is paid etc but my brother-in-law who is meeting the cost (god bless him) is having trouble with someone who owes him the balance. end of the month hopefully. There is my underlying reson for not finishing it to quick... This has been an ongoing saga which I wasn't going to bore you with. But have anyway. I have about a million square meters of sanding to do and the outside coat will go on. Yes Kev it has stopped raining :)