PDA

View Full Version : smokin yamaha f100

garbo
26-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Bought a new Yamaha F100 which is blowing blue smoke after starting up. Would like to hear from anyone with a similar problem or know how to rectify this as we are getting no satisfication from Yamaha nor the Dealer. Extremely PISSED OFF!!!

blaze
26-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Hi Garbo
My suggestion would be to contact yamaha direct
cheers
blaze
ps
welcome to the site

nofrills
26-02-2004, 06:09 PM
hey garbo
mate how much smoke is it blowing.ive got a f100 and it does ocassionally smoke for prolly 30 secs from a cold start but never enough to concern me.
ive always found keith at sundown marine to be on the ball with my queries so if your from around SEQ might be of some help.
cheers scott

propdinger
27-02-2004, 11:11 AM
i have been through yamaha head office and got no where and when i told him i might trade my new motor in on another brand he told me not to threaten him. now 11 months later still have same problem and dont use boat so much and will be taken back to get fixed for the 13th time

ok sorry not helping your problem but help me blow off some steam

jeff

Brissyguy
27-02-2004, 11:36 AM
How many 4 bangers are Yamaha selling in Australia today ???
You would think Yamaha would simply replace the motor under warranty to avoid any bad publicity especially when there is healthy competition out there these days.
Dont they have a marketing manager ???

cHiCo
27-02-2004, 11:47 AM
obivously not, i always thought that blue smoke was due to excess oil running through but not sure about 4 strokes. my bros motorbike smokes like hell after he stacks and too much oil runs through the engine.

TimNQ
27-02-2004, 12:03 PM
if its only happening on start up then it will be a bit too much fuel and no air( choked).
If its happening all the time id say you have blown a seal or piston ring. Check compression id say.
Tim

TimNQ
27-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Chico blue smoke usually does mean that its burning oil thats why im thinking its blown a ring but if its only happening on start up id think he is confusing blue smoke with grey.
Tim

blaze
27-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Tim
bit hard to pick up a bad oil ring on a compression test of a new donk
cheers
blaze

TimNQ
27-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Yea wasnt too sure if it would pick it up, just all i can suggest without ripping the head off.
Tim

clutter
27-02-2004, 01:29 PM
If a 4-stroke blows smoke on start up it can mean that your valve stem seals have failed. Being that it is a new engine it could even be that one may be missing from the factory. If you can, take the rocker covers off and have a look at the base of the valve where it goes into the guides in the cylinder head. It should have a seal that looks like a cap on each one. If its missing it will look totally different to the others.

Hope this may be of some help.

Clutter

garbo
27-02-2004, 02:18 PM
scott thanks for the reply. my f100 blows blue smoke for upto 30 secs and at times very thick. i bought it from sundown and have had no response to problem. it has been doing it from new and is 2 months old now. it is worse after it driven for a while then turned off for half an hour or so. the smoke is unexceptable as is after sale service.

Big_Kev
27-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Garbo I would not be happy with that either.
Is the engine using any oil?
Is the level correct?
Is the oil type as required for this climate?
Does it smoke after tilting the motor up and then back down. (ie-oil running from the sump and flooding the pistons).
My Yammie four stroke 60 has not ever puffed one bit of smoke.
There must be some explanation for this.
If I were you I would drop the thing back to the dealer and tell him you will only pick it up when the problem is rectified.
Make sure you talk to the boss man and not one of his troops.
There is no need to be nasty or ill mannered just explain your concerns in a profesional manner and tell him you are not satisfied with the problem.
If this is a malfunction with the motors you can be sure that the factory is well aware of it.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers Kev.

garbo
27-02-2004, 03:10 PM
kev been through all the above oil level ect... i have noticed it wont blow smoke after it is tilted as in putting on trailer taking home and flushing engine.. i do have another dealer looking at this motor and is doing everything he can. i am trying to find out if other people are having similar smoke problems with their f100? i think there is a fault with some of these engines. maybe not enough people have told yamaha about it yet for them to act on it?

Big_Kev
27-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Garbo I can understand what you say that you are trying to qualify if all these engines do this.
If this is so Yamaha will be aware of it.(they make shit loads of engines only a small percentage is sold here in Australia).
A four stroke engine blowing smoke can only mean that it it producing emisions not in keeping with the standards under which it is manufactured.
Yamaha must produce its product to meet these standard requirements.
I would be making more noise to the dealer as they are who you bought it from.(phone every day asking for an answer to the problem.Get such answer in writing.)
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers Kev.
Always remembering to keep a levelhead, this will get you further in the long run.

Fitzy
28-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I had a 80F which is almost the same motor as the 100 & never had anything similar to this problem.

I haven't got the number here, but ring Yamaha head office in Brisbane & ask for Cliff Arnold & discuss your problem with him. The number is in the yellow pages.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

brucem
01-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I am having the same problem with my F80 smoking on start up, has anyone heard any more about this problem?
I have spoken to yamaha and they say that this is normal operation for these motors, if it is not stored in the vertical position.
If anyone has one of these motors and are not having problems, I would like to know about this as well.
Thank you

garbo
01-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Bruce I have the F100 thats smoking at start up. If you want to email a phone number to me I will ring and have a chat about it. gino@hn.ozemail.com.au

Smithy
06-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Met Garbo at my sister's place on Saturday night after he saw I had the same motor as him. Mine fortunatly has no problems after 515 hours. What his is doing is not right and Yamaha needs to come to the party.

goldeneye
06-04-2004, 08:31 AM
sounds like you got a lemon bro? can you take it back

Big_Kev
06-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I cannot believe that this issue is still going on.
Have you contacted Yamaha.
I would be making more noise and sending a letter to Yamaha stating your dissappointments.
Cheers Kev ;)