PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Aluminium Hull

kingfisho
06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi,
I have just purchased a cheap Aluminium boat 4.3 Long , I have just removed the paint from the hull and noticed a dozen small holes. What would be the best method of repair. Would I have to repair the whole underside of the hull . Would welding be the way to go or is their a better method what about just filling them with metal reinforced compound .
I would appreciate any comments as I want to keep this boat for many years. I am a dissability pensioner with limited income but if needed will save for the costs depending on what needs to be done. I don't mind having to wait months to fix it all I require is an idea of how to fix it so I can get it fixed in my own time.

blaze
06-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi KIngfisho
welcome to the site
I think the best method of repair would be to weld the holes up, some times the aliminium can have eletrolises and that would make welding very hard.
would need to be checked by someone that is in the game of welding aliminium
another method is to cut patches of aliminium and pop rivet them in place using a product called marine sikaflexs as a sealant between the surfaces
best of luck with the tinnie
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
06-04-2004, 05:01 PM
A picture would be a big help to tell what caused the holes.
Otherwise as Blaze says TIG welding is the best method.
Cheers Kev.

snapperhead
07-04-2004, 04:44 AM
Getting small holes welded up won't set you back much if the area is nice and clean. They hate having to clean sikaflex or slastic out of holes so go get a quote as welding would be the best option.

propdinger
07-04-2004, 05:21 AM
i had about 10 holes welded on my old tinnie and it only cost me a carton of beer he was more than happy to weld it when i told him i didnt want a receipt and i offered the beer
find someone who welds alloy and just ask it should cost much at all and will last longer than any other thing you could do

cheers
jeff

paz
07-04-2004, 06:35 AM
good old beer,,,the universal currency....
paz 8)

Kerry
07-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Couple of points, what's causing/caused the holes in the first place and simply welding holes can cause other problems depending just where the holes are.

The thing is to find a good alloy man (this can be easier said than done), who is prepared to really look at the situation. Sure holes can be welded but if your looking at a long term solution then one might have to look a little deeper then simply a few holes.

I'd stay away from riveting patches and depending on the actual size of the holes then simply welding might not suffice and in some cases requires patches especially if there is a future possibility of splitting/cracking.

Cheers, Kerry.